• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kaw Valley Linear Comp for .308 deer rifle

MagnusBoner

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2017
I have a good ole Browing A-Bolt Hunter, in .308 win. It is my deer hunting rifle. It is a great gun for this aplication, as it weighs in at only 6.5# with out the scope. The only drawback, at that light weight, the recoil is pretty stout. Since it is a hunting rifle, the noise of a traditional muzzel brake is a no-go. Does anyone have any experience with linear compensators that direct the blast down range, away from the shooter? I have been thinking something like this Kaw Valley Precision Linear Comp might improve my quality of life...

Put a proper muzzle brake on the rifle, and a pair of muffs in your hunting bag. Banded ear plugs are also very handy, as they can hang on your neck and it just takes a quick 2 handed motion to put them in. If you are expecting any appreciable levels of recoil mitigation, you will be disappointed with a linear compensator.

Put a proper muzzle brake on the rifle, and a pair of muffs in your hunting bag. Banded ear plugs are also very handy, as they can hang on your neck and it just takes a quick 2 handed motion to put them in. If you are expecting any appreciable levels of recoil mitigation, you will be disappointed with a linear compensator.
I would rather deal with the recoil that try to mess with muffs. Linear comps are really that worthless?

Think they label them compensators for sales to states that restrict flash hiders. Noveske straight up calls their's a flash hider. Might be a little quieter at the ear than bare muzzle but electronic earpro is a better option.

How many shots you taking at a deer?

I shoot a lightweight .308 too, only 14.8 lbs unloaded. Recoil is brutal.

Seriously though, my Tikka T3 .308 is a punch, but just need 1 shot.
You could wear a pad on your shoulder during zero and dope collection.
Or hit the weights.

I would rather deal with the recoil that try to mess with muffs. Linear comps are really that worthless?
All muzzle brake designs share a basic principle: they partially divert combustion gases from the muzzle end of the bore, at a generally perpendicular angle to the long axis of the barrel. The momentumof the diverted gases thus does not add to the recoil.

I copied the above from Wikipedia because it explainsthe concept pretty plainly. Recoil is a function of the momentum of the projectile + the momentum of the expanding gasses. All of the blast from a linear comp goes forward. Thus, all of the momentum of those gassed is forward as well. The result is that there is essentially no recoil reduction because a linear comp does not redirect the gasses to any appreciable degree. If you want to hang something off the front of the rifle to mitigate recoil, you will be better served with a suppressor than a linear comp, though a suppressor is less effective at recoil mitigation than a brake. Something like this...

Attachments

• EE033266-B970-4FC3-9B2B-C650FE1B2472.jpeg
    EE033266-B970-4FC3-9B2B-C650FE1B2472.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 78
Thunderbeast makes a 5" suppressor. Thank me later. I will NVR hunt without one again.

GL
DT

I appreciate all the replies. Sounds like a Paul Harrel-style shooting jacket, with a padded shoulder is what I need. I don't fire that many rounds when dear hunting, and I have not hunted in 15 years. However, I like to shoot the ole rifle. I recently worked up a load with Hornady 178 gr ELD-X over 41.8 gr IMR 4064. (I still need to chronograph them) and am in the process of mounting a 3-9x40mm Burris Fullfield E1 scope. There is a slight chance that I will make it out dear hunting in Eastern WA this year.

I used a limb saver pad and it made a world of difference, I prefer it to a vest. As stated above a linear comp doesn’t do anything for recoil, if the gas is vented down range the force has to come backwards.