• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Kayaking to destination

woogie_man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Fargo, ND
Is there anyone here that goes this way for fishing or hunting? Getting things figured out now for the basic camping side, and starting to look at the hunting side of things.

Have a Dagger Axis 12 kayak, so that is the weight limit I have to stay within. Looking at another small sit on top kayak for extra gear and game. Also having a warbonnet blackbird xlc being delivered today. Looking at other gear that will be needed as well

Just currious if anyone else goes hunting like this, and what they use.

Reactions: aljones_315
Guess it depends on what part of the world you live in down here in new mexico. Not really practical but youve got my attention and it sounds exciting.

What type of hunting? What do you consider "small"? I use beavertail sneak boats for duck hunting. It has a transom for a small trolling motor, if allowed in the hunting areas. They aren't really "kayaks" though but are very close and are super stable if you need to stand up. They could be too heavy for your liking though. If fishing is the primary use and you don't want something with a trolling motor I would go with something with foot pedals so you can actually focus on fishing and not paddling. The Hobies are super nice if you want a premium fishing kayak. A lot just depends on the type of water you are on, how far you intend to travel in it, what type of game you want to fit in it (deer, duck?) and how much gear you are packing. They can be super nice for hunting and fishing though, allowing you to get into areas other boats or hunters can't.

I’ve used a canoe a few times to save a 3 mile hike to my wma, but it was literally to cross a canal. Spent all of 2 minutes in the boat. Kayaks are real easy to capsize, not the most practical way to do it.
I do have an 18’ qcc with enough dry hatches to pack enough gear and supplies for a week, but never found myself in a situation that justified it. Rifle would still have to be lashed to the deck.

Was thinking of things smaller than deer. The kayak I have now has a 350lb weight limit. My buddies has a 450 limit. Was looking at a few floating tow behind units as well if we were to go deer hunting. Even then ground hunting with a bow for deer wouldn't max out our boats, talking after dressing out the animal.

Though mainly thinking things smaller than white tail deer from my area. So all the camping gear and shooting things.

Currioius about like camp stoves, camp items and what not

What are guys using for water treatment?

Already have tablets, but would rather use those as a last resort. Have been looking at the Grayl units, but trying to find something that would work for a group of people

What are guys using for water treatment?

Already have tablets, but would rather use those as a last resort. Have been looking at the Grayl units, but trying to find something that would work for a group of people

We had two of these for 9 people when I used to run week long trips in AK. They worked very well. Also consider a pack raft to tow behind a kayak if you got something. They only weigh 5-8lbs and can hold a massive amount of weight when inflated.

Reactions: BAMCIS