• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Keep 6.8 or trade for .223

byrom1212

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
greenville tx
I have a 6.8 upper that I never shoot but do take it hog hunts every now and then. Keep it or trade for a cheaper to shoot 20" barreled 1/8 twist .223?

Re: Keep 6.8 or trade for .223

I just started upgrading my 6.8. It started as a RRA upper that I just threw a PRI tube on, putting a Leupy MK2 3-9 on it with a Warne RAMP and PA Micro.

Yeah it is cheaper to shoot 5.56 but 6.8 has more energy delivered. Now that I've dumped a substaintail amount of money into it I'll be reloading for it. At that point its pennies more to reload.

Its up to you man, you need to ask yourself what suits you better. If it's only hogs the extra power could be the deciding factor. If it's purely for shooting, well then do you shoot match ammo?

Think it over weighing pros and cons. I like having the ability to use the 6.8 legally for big game in WY. I dropped my Antelope last year at 200 yards with 308 and know I could do that with the 6.8.

Let us know what your setup is now as it sits.

If you hunt with the 6.8 at times, you should probably save a little and pick up a separate 5.56 upper as you'll probably regret selling the 6.8 later. That said, I would not hesitate taking a 5.56 hog hunting using TSX or TBBC bullets.

As for cost, when you shoot quality target or hunting ammo (as I would envision you would from a 20" bbl target rifle) there is very little difference. I actually spend more on 5.56 ammo (BH 77gr) on average than I do 6.8 ammo (Hornady 110BTHP). And if you look at the trajectory of the two rounds there is very little difference, with a very slight edge going to the 5.56.

That is a hard question to answer for someone else. If you are handy you can always buy a new barrel and bolt and swap what you have. Then as funds are available build up a second upper in 6.8 if you want to keep that.

I would just go the second upper route as funds allowed.

trade it twas me, I had a 6.8 SPR that could never get to shoot well, killed a couple hogs with it but thats about it. Get a 223, more versatile, universal, easy to reload for, cheaper but thats just my worthless opinion. the 6.8 was a great idea......in theory

Get a 5.56 upper with 1/7 twist and just go back and fourth. Also kinda did the same with my RRA. Now I need a lower, gas block, and rail and I will have a complete rifle again from all the parts I changed out over the years.

Dont sell the rifle just get a new upper in 5.56, .because after you sell it you will most likely miss it afterwards and then you will eventually just buy another rifle in 6.8.

Hmmm....I had 2 6.8 uppers and 1 5.56 upper all for 1 lower. I ended up selling the 20" 6.8 upper as it was just not what I needed, too heavy, the rail "real estate"was endless and it just didn't see any love from me. My 16"6.8 is used all the time and I love it. My 5.56 is for fun and for SHTF scenarios.

It ultimately depends on what you want to use it for. If you have the money, just buy another upper - which is the real beauty of the AR15.