• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Keeping track of what your rifles are sighted with?

Mcap

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2022
AZ
Whenever a new rimfire gets adopted, i run it through the paces trying out a pile of assorted stuff to see what ammo it prefers to be fed, maybe do a little tinkering & trigger work, if necessary, etc.
A bit curious, i know a lot of enthusiasts here have a pretty good stack of toys in the toybox...how do you prefer to keep track of what a particular rifle was sighted with?
I've tried spreadsheets, note cards, notebooks, and over the last year or so i started hanging a very small tag on them with the model/calber, date sighted, distance, and ammo...that way several months later when i grab one for a fun shoot or a bit of hunting, i know what it preferred to be fed. (tags are about half the size of a business card, with string on 'em, from office supply store).
Still keep info in a notebook as well, but the tags are working for the moment.
what other methods have worked well for you?

Reactions: Kalthoff
Easy. You have a ballistic solver. It lists what ammo you have ran through the rifle. I always put the main ammo at the top. And name it the model/make/lot number. New lot comes in...just duplicate the old profile...alter the name for lot and ballistics as needed. Done.

I have a written sheet or three to keep things like sight heights and twist rates of guns logged in the event I get a new phone and/or lose the program....even then it's not a real big deal to start over from scratch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balor and Milo 2.5
I still maintain individual dope book pages which, among other things, maintains make and lot number for the ammunition fired through it. Mostly, I shoot the same rifle and the ammo on the top of the ammo safe is the ammo for that gun.

Reactions: woogie_man
I have a spreadsheet for tracking that info in my google docs, I went as far as tracking velocity in regards to temp and round count. Within that same document is all the lot numbers data with sight in environmental conditions.

I printed out and laminated tags for every rifle. Info I record is ammo used, zero distance, last MV, date of last cleaning, rounds since last cleaning, date and status of the zero, which suppressor was used, and of course some description of the rifle. Some of the data is in Sharpie (like rifle description, suppressor and zero distance. The rest is penned in wet erase so I can update it easily every time I put the rifle away. Meticulous data keeping has saved all sorts of headaches. I use the blank back to note any anomalies I need to chase down next time I shoot.

I am still old school, and each precision rifle I have has a data book with records of all my zeroes ammo types match scores/ conditions and details on my success ( or more frequently failures) to keep track of and learn from

Whenever a new rimfire gets adopted, i run it through the paces trying out a pile of assorted stuff to see what ammo it prefers to be fed, maybe do a little tinkering & trigger work, if necessary, etc.
A bit curious, i know a lot of enthusiasts here have a pretty good stack of toys in the toybox...how do you prefer to keep track of what a particular rifle was sighted with?
I've tried spreadsheets, note cards, notebooks, and over the last year or so i started hanging a very small tag on them with the model/calber, date sighted, distance, and ammo...that way several months later when i grab one for a fun shoot or a bit of hunting, i know what it preferred to be fed. (tags are about half the size of a business card, with string on 'em, from office supply store).
Still keep info in a notebook as well, but the tags are working for the moment.
what other methods have worked well for you?
Piece of masking tape and a ball point pen will outlast all your electronic devices

Post It Notes makes a heavy duty note that has adhesive across the entire back. I use that for guns that don’t have a notebook/data log.

Choose your primary ammo and zero for it and then use the zero offset in you solver for everything else. For example, I zero'd my CZ with Eley benchrest outlaw at 50 yds. In my solver (Strelok), I set Norma Tac-22 as impacting .5 MOA high at 50. Then use your solver like normal. Notes in the dope book are nice but I'd spend too much time flipping through pages trying to find it to be any more than a backup.

I hang a card off the trigger guard. On my more used rifles I keep an individual book.
I’m reducing the number of all types of guns I have for simplicity.

I guess I have one of these for every 22 LR I own, restock it after a range trip. Sticky notes on the stash pile for what gun it is for. Foolproof so far.

22 ammo.jpg

I like the milograde 1.0, I’m going to guess you built up your own supergrade.
Lol, not really, all Kidd parts, I pushed the barrel in and installed the trigger, not SG though. Red is 1.0, wife claimed it, so Green, 2.0 is mine. When I ordered 2.0, had Kidd put it together. I want a supergrade, have too many 22 LR now.

Attachments

• Twins.jpg
    Twins.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 32
I have every firearm I own as a “contact” in my phone. I put important details there. Since my phone is always with me I have all the data I need easily accessible. It is backed up to the cloud and immediately goes to my laptop and iPad.

I just name the rifle and ammo in the Kestrel - e.g. Ans-SKLRM or CZ-SKLRM. I don't really track lot #'s, I find a decent lot number that my preferred gun at the time likes, then stock up on that lot. When I run low, I either restock that lot or pick a few new lots to tryout (if I have that option) and repeat as needed. Usually, if a lot shoots good in one of my guns, it'll shoot good in the rest.

I have every firearm I own as a “contact” in my phone. I put important details there. Since my phone is always with me I have all the data I need easily accessible. It is backed up to the cloud and immediately goes to my laptop and iPad.
That's actually a pretty ingenious way of storing info!

Polaris13 I do the same with my ipad and onenotes.

I put a strip of wide blue painters’ tape on the stock and write the pertinent info on that. For matches, I use that info to create a dope card/sheet.

If my rifle becomes a battlefield pick up, the new owner will at least know the zero yardage, ammo it was zeroed with, mv, and correction for bare muzzle v suppressor.

I know what ammo lot goes to which gun and label them as such, not which ammo the gun is zeroed for. If I find an ammo lot a rifle likes, that rifle is the only one that gets fed it and it only gets fed to that rifle.
W for win52, bsa for the martini, centerx for anschutz etc

Don’t cross your streams lol

image.jpg

Last edited: