• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Kel Tec KSG 12ga 3”

Karma Enforcer
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2014
Picked up one of these last weekend in the 3” only chambering. Talk about pain on both ends. Its fun to shoot though. Lots of firepower. 6 in each tube and 1 in the pipe.

What are some of the better upgrades for these? Was looking at just throwing some flip up iron sights on the rail and a pistol grip on the front. Anything else really needed? A muzzle brake wouldnt be bad either...

I would put the iron sights on as a backup, get some AR BUIS like the flip up Magpul sights. For primary sight I'd put an Aimpoint PRO or if you can afford it, an Aimpoint Micro T-1 or H-1. The battery life on Aimpoints is so long that on my defensive weapons, I never turn them off, I leave on at setting 8 which has a battery life of measured in years.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I put an improved trigger, an extended tube selector, enhanced rubber stock pad, Kydex cheek piece, Howitzer 70 muzzle brake, back up sights, Holosun optic and foregrip. She is a badass motherfucker!! Can shoot slugs all day with that muzzle brake!!
A998A066-7407-4621-BCB5-6D7CC15042B3.jpeg

You talking about the KS7? Where does it say 3" only? Check the manual, pages 7 and 8.

Mine is stamped 12 Gauge 3” right above the trigger. Manual also says...The KSG is chambered for 3” shells and may safely fire both lead and steal. Shells 2 3/4” and shorter are also safe to fire, but anything shorter than 2 3/4” should be thoroughly tested for reliable feeding and extraction. For reference, the chamber gauge and length is indicated on the grip of the shotgun.”

Mine does not cylce/feed 2 3/4” shells. 3” works great.

As you can see mine says that too above the trigger and it runs 2 3/4” shells fine. I even put mini shells in and they cycled without problems. Something is not right if you can only run 3” shells.

M5NSX is correct, it should be able to shoot 2 3/4 shells without a problem. Maybe not the minis but definitely 2 3/4.

Reactions: M5NSX
Hmm. Strange. All I had on hand was some old 2 3/4” reloads. And the factory 2 3/4” I found was aluminum low “brass”. None of them cycled. Its like they dont find that sweet spot in the tube and when you cycle the pump to pull one out and into the chamber, nothing happens of course.

Hmm. Strange. All I had on hand was some old 2 3/4” reloads. And the factory 2 3/4” I found was aluminum low “brass”. None of them cycled. Its like they dont find that sweet spot in the tube and when you cycle the pump to pull one out and into the chamber, nothing happens of course.

Try some Remington shells. My wife runs the low recoil slugs in her KSG. I run the regular slugs. Remington OO buckshot run great too. Get the Howitzer 70 brake it works great!!

Reactions: 308220
I'm cycling 2 3/4", 3" & minis without issue. But I did some extra work to mine. Replaced the tube followers with Teflon coated stainless followers, new tube springs from Wolf, extended tube selector, put an aluminum rail over the plastic rail (find an aluminum rail with a long attachment do it doesn't put all the pressure on a small area), vertical foregrip with cutout for a pressure switch that goes to an offset TLR-1 that's mounted on top, kydex cheek piece with a thin rubber pad over it, new trigger from mcarbo, sling, and probably something I'm forgetting. I have difficulty leaving things stock. My wife hates that about me.

Here's a picture. Also forgot to mention that the Hogue overgrip was a real pain to get on, but I like it. If you're going to do the trigger, do it before putting the grip on.

Attachments

• 20200414_193526.jpg
    20200414_193526.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Kel Tex KSG, what are they like to load i.e. slow compared to a traditional pump/semi? Also, these are not legal in the UK: too short.

They do take longer to load, not just because of the loading procedure, but also because there are a whole lot of shells to load. The idea is that you don't have to reload as often. If I run into a situation in which I need more than 15 rounds of 12 gauge to fix, God help me.

Reactions: geek65
A general PSA- for shotguns whether 2-3/4" or 3" it is not a reference to the length of the unfired cartridge. It IS the length of the fired shot shell cartridge when it opens up " to acceptable length", so both the chamber and the ejection port will accommodate the cartridge firing and ejection port process. It is also the reason for the observation that unfired mfg. cartridges are not of equal length, so some complain that their magazine capacity cannot hold 6 shells, when the manual says so, but only 5 shells can be loaded. Any 3" chambered shotgun will manage 2-3/4" cartridges. The extraction / ejection process occurs at the back end of the cartridge......the shotgun doesn't know the difference unless you attempt to eject a 3" cartridge from a firearm with a 2-3/4" dimension-ed chamber/ejection port . That said, an insufficiently lubricated system or underpowered 2-3/4" cartridge may be inadequate to cycle a semi-auto loader.

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 7.30.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 7.31.04 PM.png

Last edited:
Got a Gen 1 when it first came out. Of course they have made so pretty big changes from them to now. I found a good site for add on’ -high t each cc and mcarbo
a lot of add on’s