• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Kel-Tec PF-9

bkglock

Field Marshal
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2002
USA
I'm looking at getting a small 9mm. Does anyone have any experience with these? I know that the early production ones had some issues, but I have been told that those issues have been addressed.
Any other sugestions for a mouse gun 9mm. I like the Kahr PM9 but the Kel-tec is half the price.

Re: Kel-Tec PF-9

The Kel-Tec is a good value for the money. After seeing what Ruger just put out on the market and given that SHOT show is next week I would wait and see what gets introduced this year. Im sure that S&W will have some newer small guns out as well. Hope this helps.

When my BIL was looking for something smaller than his Glock 19 for "concealed carry and IN THE CAR!??" he asked about the Taurus 709 Slim. I suggested a PF-9, having shot one satisfatorily. I also suggested a Kahr. "I've read bad things about the KelTec and the Kahr is too expensive".

Of course, he had already made up his mind to get the Taurus.
After we figured out why he had a lot of non-feeds (bang, click) and bent the tabs out on the mag catch slots of his mags, he still didn't shoot it for squat. He got better with the Glock, though.
I think the barrel axis is just too high.
And you only get 2 fingers on the grip.

The Kahr P-9 I got used shoots like a dream, cloverleafs @ 7yd, MUCH more manageable. All 3 fingers fit on the grip.

Personally, I usually carry a P-32 KelTec (before their .380 was made) any time it's legal, sometimes with a S&W457 (745? single stack 7 shot SA/DA .45)

I found the PF-9 much easier to shoot than the Taurus.
The Kahr handles almost like the Glock, but as a single stack, it's WAY flatter and easier to hide. Trigger is better than a stock Glock.

Obviously, you should shoot first, before pulling the trigger, if possible.

My PF-9, circa mid 2010 was a malf-o-matic. It had all sorts of failures to feed. Polished feedramp wouldn't fix it. Polished barrel exterior wouldn't fix it. Polishing inside of slide at muzzle end wouldn't fix it.

Did it with every kind of JHP I tried and even sometimes with ball ammo.

Sent it back to Kel-tec and while they tried, they couldn't fix it either.

I'd suggest going with the Walther or Kahr if you need a single stack 9mm. Personally, when I need something that small, I now stick with a Smith & Wesson Airweight bodyguard....at least until Glock makes a single stack 9mm or 40S&W.

-David
Edgewood, NM

My shooting friend purchased one. We took it to the range. At shot #22, the magazine fell out onto the floor and the trigger fell apart. We collected the pieces, looked at each other in disbelief, then he promptly returned it to the store (got a store credit).
Of course, this is just one story and I am sure there are many great functioning weapons out there. Aside from a very long trigger pull and poor trigger feel, I'm sure it's a fine gun.

I would choose to spend my money wisely and not purchase anything that I wanted to protect my life from Kel-Tec. For slightly more money, the G26 is a superior choice. For more, the Kahr or Walther are much better than the KT. Ruger has the LC9 coming soon, it may be worth the wait.

Thanks for the input. I may have to save my pennies and get the Kahr. The Ruger LC9 looks very interesting too. Seems like I got me some thinking to do.

the only thing good that I can say is that it is a far sight better then the P11, which isnt saying much, I think that the Kahr will be a far superior pistol.

FWIW I have a PF9 and have had zero problems with it or the mags. I have about 500 rounds through it now, 250 which was put on it immediately to make sure it wasn't a dud... If you get one, take it to the range, and make sure it works with whatever ammo you prefer. Maybe take a friend or two to spread the pain out a bit as it will start to sting...

-pd

I have the PM40, carry it everywhere I go. Just have a cheap universal IWB holster for it, and damn near forget I'm wearing it. With the extended magazine (has a finger grip) in, real comfortable to shoot, and in my experience really doesn't take anything away from concealability. I've only put about 250 rounds through it so far, but I've smoothed out the few hiccups I first had. Also polished the feed ramp. Mine won't reliably feed Remington UMC, but Winchester white box worked just fine, and my "carry" ammo, Hornady Critical Defense, functioned flawlessly. Good luck!

I just order one and it should be here any day. I wasn't able to handle one. As long as it's reliable it will be okay. It's not for the range or plinking. I wanted it for deep concealment only.

Update: 2-10-11
I gathered up some extra money and went KAHR shopping. Found a like new, used one at my favorite local shop. KAHR PM9 black slide with night sights, 4 magazines box and papers. All like new, $580.
I called Kahr and the pistol was made two years ago. I thought it was a great deal so I bought it. Have not shot it yet, maybe this weekend. Stay tuned.

Just looked on the Kel Tec Forum. There is a detailed break down of all of the PF-9. If you are looking to purchase a PF-9, review those pictures of the inside of that gun. If you continue with that purchase, good luck to you. I have seen tools from Harbor Freight that look like better construction/tooling.

Going to pick up Kahr PM9 today. To the range this afternoon. Further updates to come.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bkglock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to pick up Kahr PM9 today. To the range this afternoon. Further updates to come. </div></div>

I bought one a few weeks ago. 200 rounds with no problems so far. Nice little gun. Have a R Grizzle Southern Sidekick IWB being made now.

I ran 75 rds. of 115 gr. Blazer and 50 rds. Remington 115 gr. h.p. thru it with no issues. The sights have to be adjusted as it shoots 2 inches left at 7 yards.I didn't have the tools with me to make the adjustments.
When using the 7 rd magazine extra care must be taken to ensure that the slide goes into battery when picking up the first round from a full magazine. This was not an issue with the 6 rd. magazine. This is the first pistol I have with a Big Dot night sight and I really like it.
I think the little PM9 will make a good light carry piece. Now the quest for a holster. So far, I am happy.

FWIW my EDC pistol is a PF-9, haven't had a problem with it, did have a trigger job done and some duracoat SL Tactica lflat black on the parkerized slide (I was smart, got one already parked so I didn't have to blast it and park it before the duracoat) when I bought it about 1000 rds ago and no problems yet. Did have a FTF, FTE in the first 100rds or so though.