• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Kelblys Atlas Tac action issue

XLR308

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2018
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    I know many of you have more time and experience with the Atlas Tac action than me so just looking for feed back on an issue I am having with one of mine.
    I have two one chambered in 6.5x47 and one I'm having an issue with in 6.5Creedmoor.
    From the start it has been difficult to close the bolt on a chambered round but it is intermittent some times it will close without issue but 50% of Tue time or more it requires more effort than should be neccesary.
    It appears to me that the extractor is binding and doesn't want to slide over the case rim but when removed it slides in and out without any noticeable problem.
    With the action chambered in 6.5x47 the bolt has allways closed almost like it falls into place.
    I love both actions and am not in any way poking at Kelblys just looking for recommendations and avenues I should explore before I start taking things apart.
    From the start both have had brass full length resized with .0015" headspace and neither are being fed ammo that is jammed into the lands.
    I look forward to any feedback and possible issues or fixes I should explore before I start messing with an otherwise excellent product.

Well you could always try switching the bolts around and try cycling a few rounds of 6.5 creed. If the problem goes away you know it’s something with the bolt. If the problem is still there you know it’s with your chamber or more likely your ammo.

Kelbly s actions are interchangeable and held to great tolerances so swapping the bolts isn’t any issue. I’d try that and see what it is.

Reactions: XLR308
    Well you could always try switching the bolts around and try cycling a few rounds of 6.5 creed. If the problem goes away you know it’s something with the bolt. If the problem is still there you know it’s with your chamber or more likely your ammo.

Kelbly s actions are interchangeable and held to great tolerances so swapping the bolts isn’t any issue. I’d try that and see what it is.

I tried that a few months ago and the other bolt closes over the dummy rounds I made for cycling and on reloads just fine.
    That is mostly why I think it is just hanging on the extractor, and some of the rounds have a little burr on the inside edge of the rim.
    Was mainly curious if there are any members that found it necessary to polish the extractor or smooth out the leading edges..

I would just messaged Ian kelbly on here. He’s great to deal with!!

Reactions: XLR308
    I would just messaged Ian kelbly on here. He’s great to deal with!!

I figure he will chime in at some point and I'm sure he has alot more going on than my little extractor problem. 🤣
    I just finished pulling the extractor out and breaking the edges a little bit with some 800 grit wet/dry sand paper.
    One side was pretty sharp and after putting it back it is much better and cycled a round in and out 30 or 40 times.
    Will pull it one more time and give it a little more polish and I'm sure it will be hickup free after that.
    Just the usuall little things that pop up on DIY projects that a gunsmith would have allready sorted and most likely wouldn't even mention.

Reactions: Matt_3479
    Yup, just need some polishing. If you have a dremel or foredom, get a felt tip and polish it up with whatever polish you have on hand. Make sure there are no burs.

The other issue is the side bolt release. If you are going to run this in PRS matches, make sure you get the heavy duty bolt stop or you WILL break the screw securing the side bolt release. You may or may not be able to get the broken screw out without issue, because they left hardly any meat on the receiver at top where the little screw ends. This little screw bares the impact of the bolt release, when the rear bolt lug contacts the side bolt release. I sure wish they would rectify this issue because the action is a real gem.

The HD bolt stop works great, just a pain the ass to remove in the field if you need to remove the bolt out of the action.

Yup, just need some polishing. If you have a dremel or foredom, get a felt tip and polish it up with whatever polish you have on hand. Make sure there are no burs.

The other issue is the side bolt release. If you are going to run this in PRS matches, make sure you get the heavy duty bolt stop or you WILL break the screw securing the side bolt release. You may or may not be able to get the broken screw out without issue, because they left hardly any meat on the receiver at top where the little screw ends. This little screw bares the impact of the bolt release, when the rear bolt lug contacts the side bolt release. I sure wish they would rectify this issue because the action is a real gem.

The HD bolt stop works great, just a pain the ass to remove in the field if you need to remove the bolt out of the action.

It is acting better but I still need to polish the extractor a little more to be satisfied with it.
    I just hunt and target shoot with my rifles so they don't get the beating a field rifle match gun does so not really concerned about the bolt release machine screw.
    And I also believe they are a gem for what they sell for.

Kelblys has great customer service. Give them a call.