• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kelby Actions

CBlack

Inquisitive
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2017
Covington, La
Got to thinking....

You don't see Kelby mentioned too much for new builds on this forum or elsewhere unless it is a Panda for BR.

Why is that? I don't have any experience with them.

The few builders I know use Stiller or Defiant.

Thoughts?

The atlas tactical is peeking my interest, as well as the black bear. They are starting to have tactical offerings so expect them to become more common on tactical forums.

I just received a Black Bear to do a comprehensive review for Kelbly's today. I'm "newish" to the Hide so I'm not expecting everyone to take my opinion/views 100% seriously, but I can say that if you're interested in the Kelbly's stuff, my review/build should atleast give you a better understanding for how serious they are about the tactical market. Granted, the Atlas Tactical has been a big success for them and the company has numerous world records in BR and F Class, but I can say without giving away too much about their new flagship tactical action, you're gonna hear A LOT more about them within the coming months.

I'm in the process of inletting a stock and spinning a barrel for it now (I do all my own work), so give me a little bit to get everything correct, and I'll have a no "BS" insight on the Kelbly's stuff.

Garrison

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
I have an Atlas tactical and a Black Bear. Both are absolutely top notch. I can tell you without a doubt the Black Bear is the nicest action I have ever used and I've used almost everyone one. Get either one, you will not be disappointed.

Reactions: FollowThrough10
I have an Atlas tactical and a Black Bear. Both are absolutely top notch. I can tell you without a doubt the Black Bear is the nicest action I have ever used and I've used almost everyone one. Get either one, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the feedback. I met the Kelblys at SHOT and was impressed with them but was curious.

I just received a Black Bear to do a comprehensive review for Kelbly's today. I'm "newish" to the Hide so I'm not expecting everyone to take my opinion/views 100% seriously, but I can say that if you're interested in the Kelbly's stuff, my review/build should atleast give you a better understanding for how serious they are about the tactical market. Granted, the Atlas Tactical has been a big success for them and the company has numerous world records in BR and F Class, but I can say without giving away too much about their new flagship tactical action, you're gonna hear A LOT more about them within the coming months.

I'm in the process of inletting a stock and spinning a barrel for it now (I do all my own work), so give me a little bit to get everything correct, and I'll have a no "BS" insight on the Kelbly's stuff.

Garrison

Saw that. I'm keeping an eye on your thread. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: FollowThrough10
I had an MPA full build with an Atlas Tactical action and it was excellent. I wish I wouldn’t have sold it.

Great company, great guys, GREAT support to the shooting sports. Yes I am a fan.

We (i.e my wife) have an Atlas Tactical in .223 (Kyote Rifles build) that is 1/2 MOA all day long...and an Anschutz 1416 repeater (Arcas Trainer) they put together that shoots lights out.

Also super guys to shoot with and hang out with.

ZY

Fondled quite a few atlas tacticals, shot with a bunch of the kelbly guys and saw them in action. If I was to get a non 3lug action it would be a Kelbly for sure. Very nice running and feeling. Looking forward to building my buddies in another month or so.

Kelbly makes good actions. Everyone else makes good actions to. You just see more post about whatever the flavor of the month is for PRS.

Reactions: Danattherock
Which one is better in your opinion?

Which one is better in your opinion?

The black bear to me is a little smoother. That rifle is a complete custom build from Kelbly. I haven’t truly got a chance to beat it up yet. The Atlas rifles are different parts from other builders. These things have been put through the ringer and never failed me. They are extremely smooth also. It would be easier to build a rifle off the Atlas because of its Rem 700 profile. The black bear has a flat profile.

You can’t go wrong with either one. My suggestion, if you want Kelbly to build you the complete rifle, go with the black bear. If you want to save a little money and have someone else build it, go with the Atlas.

I have an Atlas Tac action and really like everything about it and have zero complaints.
The Atlas main benefits to me over the Black bear is the rem700 footprint and endless array of stocks that are basically a drop in fit though some will need relieved for the trigger hanger.
The Black bear would be a custom inlet since it has a flat bottom like the Panda but most people that are buying them I'm sure would have a full custom build in mind to start with.

Reactions: Patriots1884