• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kelby's Prometheus Action

My gunsmith is currently getting a barrel spun up for mine so hopefully I can go pick it up and if I'm lucky get a few rounds downrange this weekend. Played with it for a little bit before I gave it to him, I've been pretty much using a couple Black Bear's in matches the last couple years and this felt every bit as good to me. It fit right in my XLR envy and am assuming will fit right into my foundation but haven't confirmed that yet. I will get some pics and a range report very soon.

@SD Carpenter any more thoughts on your Prometheus since you last posted?
Well I've ran it in 2 nrl hunter matches and a PRS match , with nf elr up next. Since I've got about 2500 rounds through it, it's definitely more broken in now and it's just slick. The ejector on the damn thing is rediculous. If I'm running it as hard as possible it will huck a prc case 15'+ 😂

I will probably be getting another one in long action, although there's a serious lead time on these things now talking to Ian a couple weeks ago.

Still kinda stoked my serial number is #007 haha

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know specifically,

Well I've ran it in 2 nrl hunter matches and a PRS match , with nf elr up next. Since I've got about 2500 rounds through it, it's definitely more broken in now and it's just slick. The ejector on the damn thing is rediculous. If I'm running it as hard as possible it will huck a prc case 15'+ 😂

I will probably be getting another one in long action, although there's a serious lead time on these things now talking to Ian a couple weeks ago.

Still kinda stoked my serial number is #007 haha

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know specifically,

That's what I was hoping to hear.... What trigger you running and have you played with the trigger timing at all with the hanger?

That's what I was hoping to hear.... What trigger you running and have you played with the trigger timing at all with the hanger?
No, it's cock on open so the bolt close in our heavy guns is honestly nothing.

I run a trigger tech diamond, but the trigger hanger is nice in that I have a spare setup and when my trigger went down in a match I was able to swap it out painlessly. I know you can get different offsets from kelbly to adjust it, but it's been good enough and don't know any better.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Ran my Prometheus at the Nightforce ELR this weekend. No issues at all except me not running the bolt back all the way and brass dropping back in the chamber. I've just been running short actions too long. The dust and grit from the match just lapped the bolt in a little.

Reactions: SD Carpenter
Ran my Prometheus at the Nightforce ELR this weekend. No issues at all except me not running the bolt back all the way and brass dropping back in the chamber. I've just been running short actions too long. The dust and grit from the match just lapped the bolt in a little.
I had no problems with mine either this weekend, ran like a top

Keeping with the Kelblys theme and not starting a new thread...

Does the Atlas Tactical have a Cock on Open/Closed or 50/50?

Pretty sure it's on open, because when I bring the bolt down it's almost on a spring and forces itself shut.... However scientific I'm trying to sound

Reactions: RFutch

Atlas tac is designed to be 100% cock on open. Depending on your Trigger choice, it will change how much or if its over cocking on bolt closure. You want 240k of pin fall minimum in rem700 clones. Different hanger, or shortening cocking piece can eliminate the cock on close.

Atlas tac is designed to be 100% cock on open. Depending on your Trigger choice, it will change how much or if its over cocking on bolt closure. You want 240k of pin fall minimum in rem700 clones. Different hanger, or shortening cocking piece can eliminate the cock on close.
The atlas has a great bolt throw. Cock on open only and very hard to bind.

Reactions: RFutch
Damn, I’m between this and a lone peak.
I have a atlas tac and a fusion. Honestly cant decide wich i like better. Ive heard the atlas isnt the best choice for br based cases but it feeds 6.5cm so smooth i cant feel it pick up a round.

I have a atlas tac and a fusion. Honestly cant decide wich i like better. Ive heard the atlas isnt the best choice for br based cases but it feeds 6.5cm so smooth i cant feel it pick up a round.

weird ive never heard that. I shoot 6br exclusively in my match rifles and no issues. on 2 sep atlas actions. I have all the conversion kits but MDT 12 rnd br mags are the best by a mile.

that being said I really want to switch to Prometheus for built in lug/rail.

going to order one today.

DT

Reactions: M4orturnate
weird ive never heard that. I shoot 6br exclusively in my match rifles and no issues. on 2 sep atlas actions. I have all the conversion kits but MDT 12 rnd br mags are the best by a mile.

that being said I really want to switch to Prometheus for built in lug/rail.

going to order one today.

DT
Just what my gunsmith said. Hes all about lone peak so could just be steering me. Otherwise i dont have a single complaint about the atlas. Probably will use one for my 223ai build im getting ready to start

I think there was an “issue” at one point which is why they modified the ejector location from 90 degrees to 45. I believe it was just an improvement rather than fixing a real issue that affected all the actions.

I’ve had Atlas’, Nanook and Prometheus and love them. I also shot a Lone Peak in my comp rifle for two years. They’re all good.

Got mine after a year of waiting :) but its EU so its quite normal… #63 hope it will work it looks nice, tends to stick a bit when pulled all the way back but i still need to attach a 338/300nm barrels on it and actually fire something…

Reactions: D_TROS
Are these control round feed?
Technically no but kinda like a hybrid.

It's a push feed going forward for sure but upon extraction since there is no spring loaded plunger in the bolt face, the extractor keeps control of the spent case until it's mechanically ejected similar to a crf on the bolt stop.

Anyone use this action in krg whiskey chassis with any fitting issues with trigger hanger

In mdt acc chassis i had to dremel out a bit infront of the trigger pocket right where front part of trigger hanger sits. 5min job…

The Prometheus drops in just fine in the KRG Bravo chassis and in the MDT XRS with no modding needed. Yes, KRG calls the Bravo a chassis.

Reactions: Schw15
The Prometheus drops in just fine in the KRG Bravo chassis and in the MDT XRS with no modding needed. Yes, KRG calls the Bravo a chassis.
The bravo and whiskey chassis are pretty much the same for the action too um. I like the bravo too great chassis

Almost need a list of chassis somewhere that works with these actions that have trigger hangers

Any chassis will work. Mpa,MDT,JP,XLR,cadex. Stocks like foundation and manners I believe need to be ordered with slight material removed but that's easy just order for a specific action.

IMG_4745.jpeg

90-94gr of Rs-80 1gr int. 250atip and 300nm 28” lothar barrel
854-901 m/s with 93 starting to have light sticky bolt. 93 and 94 are the high ones out of the group.

84-88gr were one big hole but speeds were too low 830ish m/s but they fall in the same general space as on this pic the three lowest 90-92 loads.

Action after using it for a while with 338 barrel is smooth works like a charm. Im really happy with it. Next is match test in december in Poland to see how it does in sand…

Reactions: Modoc