• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bjdm151

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2010
lexington, ky
Whats everyones experience with Keltec?
My dad(not a gun guy) anounced to me a few weeks ago that he finally got a pistol. When he proudly anounced it was a keltec someone in the back of my head shouted "Oh No". LOng story short we got to shot it today and it misfires every other round. I'm thinking it's light primer strikes. I gave it a good cleaning and it was still doing it.

Post your stories and vote in the poll (if I can get it to work).

Re: Keltec Pistols

Return it for store credit. Very un-reliable with poor quality control across their product line.

Keltecs are supposed to have a "break-in" period, after which they just break. At almost every course I've been to I've seen a Keltec at least malfunction, and once completely break and not be able to cycle. The reasoning I've heard from owners it that's okay, It didn't cost much or I can return it for repair or a replacement. To me that is not reassuring. If you have to have a gun in that size or design, get a Kahr instead.

Sadly, he bought the gun off an aquaintance. He had talked to a friend (his friend, I don't know the guy) who said great things about it and carries one daily. I honestly had never shot one before but had heard some horror stories. I don't think my dad understands the concept that a carry gun is meant to protect your life and if what you're carrying isn't reliable you might as well just not carry at all. It's not like buying a POS used car to get around and if it breaks down you replace it with another POS. We shall see if it "breaks in".

I have a .380. Had two .32's before and one .380. This one works all the time, every time. For the price you can buy one, sell it, buy another, ad, nauseum, until you get a good one. Had that problem with the big Ruger .44 years ago. Went through 3 before I got an accurate one. Inch and a half at 100 yards with the scope. The first two didn't. The Ruger LCP has a good reputation, but it pinches the s...t out of my finger.

I've had kel-tec P3at owning friends of mine to shoot my Ruger LCP and immediately comment how much they wished they had got a ruger. I know the keltec p3at's also are known to blow up with magsafe ammo at least. Can't speak for the rest of their line. From handling them, it seems the guns are all around rough and cheaply made---great concept, but poor quality.

I own a P32. I carry it when I'm running or cycling. It's cheap & homely, but it goes bang everytime.
+1 for the KTOG website. Good info there.

I have a 9mm (forgot the model). I have ran somewhere around 400-500 rnds through it and can not remember a misfire. Not to say it has not but not enough to remember if it has. I guess its like someone said earlier, you could chaulk that up to poor quality control. But I got a good one. And I plan on buying my wife the Keltec .32 sometime soon.

Had a PF9 bought it for a backup gun,broke the firing pin spring,went to the ktog site good info over there,fixed the spring and removed metal shavings from the firing pin channel,shot about 200rds and then the mags wouldnt stay in, after that I sold it and bought a j frame as a backup ymmv

I have one in 380 and love it, granted its not a gun your going to shoot alot. I ran about 100 rounds through it to build up my confidence in it and it feed everything perfect.

I'm sorry, it's a PF9. And as a bit of an update... the gun got left with my brother in law who got the firing pin out and found it was completely covered in rust and it supposedly cleaned up pretty well. I don't know if any ammo was ran through it though.

I'm glad to see some more positive responses on here. It gives me at least minor hope.

My P3AT has fired hundreds of rounds reliably, and I trust it completely. OTOH, my brother bought a brand new PF9 a couple of months ago and it did the light strike thing like your dad's. He couldn't get his to reliably fire a full box of several brands of ammo, so he traded it in on a M&P9C, which forcefully ejects magazines when it's shot. He now has my Glock26.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjdm151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry, it's a PF9. And as a bit of an update... the gun got left with my brother in law who got the firing pin out and found it was completely covered in rust and it supposedly cleaned up pretty well. I don't know if any ammo was ran through it though.

I'm glad to see some more positive responses on here. It gives me at least minor hope.
</div></div>

Good to hear it's not necessarily a KT problem. The PF9's are good guns, just make sure it has a metal magazine catch and you won't have problems with the magazines falling out. If no, call KT and they will send you one.

Good luck.

Its a topic that will draw everyone that thinks they are junk.

I have a P3AT and for what it is I love it. Anyone that says they are junk is welcome to try to rush me from 10 paces.

It is such a convenient way to comply with rule #1 of gunfighting when everything else is usually left at home....

They are not meant to be range guns, find a load it feeds reliably, run a couple hundred then run a mag or two everyonce in a while for familiarity. If you expect them to shoot 10K annually forget it.

I carry a P3AT and the .32 cal on the same frame. I use these as my "summer" guns. In AZ heat, carrying the G19 is just not real practical. The Kel-Tecs drop into a pair of shorts or carry on a lanyard. I found the key is ammo...no radical HP or MagSafe type stuff works reliably, but there is a brand (whose name escapes me at the moment...) that has a bullet profile not much different from a FMJ that feeds and goes bang every time.

one member here on the Hide got a $10,000.00 keltec......he will not sell it though.......just sayin

I have a P32, got about 400 rds. through it so far, does exactly what a pocket pistol should. Goes bang when I pull the trigger, even repeatedly, and puts holes in whatever I point it at(at reasonable distances). Shoot it, clean it, put it back in my pocket. I had a P11, carried it for years in my tool pouch. Ended up selling it to my buddy after he saw me hit a B27 center mass at 100 yards with it- twice in a row. It's okay, though, his guns are in my safe...

Had a PF11 (9mm) for a while. I would not call it junk and I did not love it, so I did not vote!

Shot a 100 rd box of Winchester white box from Wally World with NO problems. I sold it because I could not shoot it good enough for my own satisfaction. Got a S&W J frame instead and can shoot it much better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is such a convenient way to comply with rule #1 of gunfighting when everything else is usually left at home....</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldBrokenCop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use these as my "summer" guns. In AZ heat, carrying the G19 is just not real practical. The Kel-Tecs drop into a pair of shorts or carry on a lanyard.</div></div>

These guys sum it up for my thoughts on it. But, I have thought about getting the PF9 "just for fun" and not serious carry.

I bought my mom the PF9 last year. Right out of the box, it had an issue with the magazine well. Some kind of metal insert did not fit flush with the polymer frame. This caused severe issues with inserting the magazine. After quite a bit of work, the magazine locks into place without a hitch. I haven't shot it, but at 15 yards, my mom hits dead center every time. I couldn't believe how well she shot it, so for its intended purpose I am pleased. I don't think that I'd purchase one for myself though. She has put 100 rounds through it and has not had an issue with firing or feeding.....

Recently purchased a Pf-9 for my fiance's daily carry. It fit the bill; size, less than an inch wide and 5 inch long, Weight, aprox. 16oz. loaded, and chambered 9mm which I would prefer over .380; Problem is after shooting ~200 rds I realized it is impossible to defend yourself with any weapon that won't shoot. FTF and DBL feeds on every mag. Took it back and got a Glock.

They're simple and cheap, and American made. Other guns are higher quality, but you'll pay more...and they may still not work.

Most any small pocket pistol is going to be prone to failure due simply to operating characteristics, regardless of manufacturer. That fact alone probably contributes to half of Kel-Tec's reputation issues, since small pocket pistols have historically been all that they sell.

Maybe I got lucky. But my PF9 has been nothing but reliable, but I keep the rails clean and oiled. Its not a "fun gun" to shoot, its a tool for a specific job.

2011-07-16141634.jpg

i carry a p3at every day as a back up. qualify on same course as duty gun (glock 22) i have no complaints and i would buy another.

I fired 200 rds though my new P 3AT, cleaned it, and immediately fired another 200 rds. I did not have any failures to feed or failures to eject. I have fired another 36 rds over three trips to the range. Still no problems. I will admit it is not much fun to shoot (I wore gloves during the 400 rd break in), but I now have confidence in this little pistol to work when I need it. It is the perfect pocket pistol.

I bought a PF9 for shorts and t-shirt carry. I also put 400 rds through it - it was painful. It shoots a little hight but other than that no real problems. As others have said - it's a tool for a specific job.

Keltec p32...it is an older one, and I did the "fluff and Buff" on it. It fires, has no issues, and is a 0-21 feet range pocket gun. The sights suck, and it has a sharp recoil (more of a "slap" rather than a "push"). I would own another, if I found one on the cheap.

I also carry XD's, when I can (Uh OH...here comes the 1911 crowd).

I have considered the 380 (but I really like the Sig P238).

Called KelTec about my ex-PF9 that I took back, just to ask them why I guess. They explained to me that the early released pf9's were plauged with problems and have in turn "fixed" all the issues. According to KelTec the PF9s with the metal mag releases are the updated "problem free" pistols. I also note that the PF9 that I owned for all of a week had the older plastic mag release so I have no idea of the reliability of the upgraded models. If you have a PF9 with a plastic magazine release I suggest you give KelTec a call so it does not fail when, or if you ever really need it.

I have a P3AT. It works for its intended use. It's rough on your hands and not something you just can't wait to burn a few though. But it always trumps a rock.

No problems with it.

I bought a Keltec .32 for a daily carry piece. For what the gun is designed to do I love it. I can dump a mag into center mass without a hitch, and it always goes bang. My wife now caries this pistol every day, and I replaced it in my pocket with a Taurus TCP .380. You not going to shoot lights out at a 100yrds, but I can run 4-5 for 6 on a 12" x 12" steel at 50 yards with both pistols.

I carry the P11 (9mm) and feel very comfortable with it. Fiochi jhp works the best for me. The more powerfull rounds like Gold Dot are hard for me to control as I have big hands and it is a small pistol. It dissapears in a pair of Carharts and is so light that it's easy to forget. As much as I enjoy shooting it and feel comfortable carrying it, whenever I clean it and see how thin some of the metal is I wonder... I feel that if I really shot the heck out of it the action would hit me in the face at some point while the rest of the gun stayed in my hand. Don't by a Kel-Tec if you want a plinker, buy a Kel-Tec because it's easy to carry and it's reliable, at least in the case of my P11. Hundreds of rounds, not one problem.

I have three 32s and after a little fluff and buff they run fine. A very easy carry for a guy with a bad back and easily concealed in a vehicle (where allowed). I also have a Keltec Sub 2000 and it is a tank. I had some trigger work done on it and for a go anywhere pistol caliber rifle, it is great. Must use brass ammo though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjdm151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats everyones experience with Keltec?
My dad(not a gun guy) anounced to me a few weeks ago that he finally got a pistol. When he proudly anounced it was a keltec someone in the back of my head shouted "Oh No". LOng story short we got to shot it today and it misfires every other round. I'm thinking it's light primer strikes. I gave it a good cleaning and it was still doing it.

Post your stories and vote in the poll (if I can get it to work). </div></div>

There's a wide range between "love it" and "junk". Keltec has innovative designs but they need to focus on quality control. Their out of the box defect rate has to be higher than 50%. I expect guns to work correctly out of the box. If keltec needs to raise their prices to offer better quality control I think that would be a worthwhile trade off.

I owned one for a little while. It felt cheap to me. It had a few FTF's and I decided the gun was not for me. I have friends who swear by them and use them as pocket pistols.

I've never heard anything bad about a Keltec. I wonder what's going on in this thread.

Never owned a Kel Tec, but I have shot a buddy's once or twice. I have never really been a fan of them personally, but I watched some footage from this year's Shot Show where they introduced a new shotgun called "KSG". Don't know how reliable it will be, but it looks pretty cool and the concept is very cool. Can't believe some of the other manufacturers didn't think of this.

KSG_3357web.jpg

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg/

I have a PF11 and it runs fine. I also have and have sold several P3AT (.380) and 32 cal. and nobody has had any problems with them. The 32 cal. and the 380 is one of the thinnest, lightest and easiest to carry pistols I've ever had. They fit in the palm of the hand and are smaller than most wallets.
Seems like most of the negative comments are from those who either shot their buddy's gun or heard about problems, at least more than owners. When I first held one I thought they were junk but after shooting and carrying them they aren't IMO.

I live in a small town so I get to hear everything and know everyone. We have 2 tow-truck drivers and one of them has carried a p3at for so long that the bluing is all gone. A few weeks ago an angry driver who had his motorcycle impounded by police order, crashed through the gate with his pickup. When the guy jumped out of his truck he came after the tow-truck driver with a bottle. The tow truck driver pulled out his 3at and the guy dropped his bottle and drove away, no shots fired. Not saying kel-tec is failsafe or any other comment about their functioning, but I think this story makes a point. Kel-Tec makes a tiny pistol that fits in a pocket like a cell phone that a tow truck driver can afford. They do the job (I've got lots of empty brass to prove it) and they beat the heck out of a large frame pistol that maybe you dont want to pack all the time. Sometimes when the shtf theres nothing wrong with a basic no frills firearm. It will do what its supposed to do and if it doesnt you will know after a few boxes and send it back just like any other firearm, you can't lose with Kel-tec in my oppinion.

I've got a PF9 I bought a couple years ago and I've shot maybe 100 rounds through it, using various bullet types, no problems at all. But I did study the KTOG website for many hours and applied a few ideas from other owners. A few comments below based upon my experience.
- I would NOT recommend any Keltec pistol for an inexperienced gun owner as they can be a quirky gun that really needs some attention from an owner that can fine tune it and keep it running.
- I would recommend any Keltec owner (or perspective owner) visit the KTOG website and perform a "fluff and buff" on their Keltec to ensure it is properly cleaned/lubed/and runs smooth.
- I would NOT recommended shooting thousands of rounds with any Keltec pistol. I don't think they are designed or built for shooting on a regular basis the way most other guns are. They can be a good choice for a knowledgeable owner to use for a specific purpose (i.e. self defense). But I would say get them fine tuned, but shoot only when needed or maybe once a year just to blow the dust out.
- I would highly recommend consideration of the PF9 for certain CCW situations. Don't know of another gun in 9mm that is as light in weight, or as small for EDC purposes. Packs a lot of punch of the size!
- I ended up going with a Ruger LCP in .380acp for my EDC as I decided to sacrifice 9mm for .380 (baby 9mm) to have better concealability. The LCP is that much smaller and easier to conceal and carry. I did not feel the Keltec .380 models were as well made as the Ruger LCP. But if I ever feel I need to step up my firepower a notch (without going to a .45acp) while still having a concealable package I would not hesitate to grab my PF9.

Low end junk. Cheap for a reason. Had not one, but TWO (2) Keltec 9mm handguns break the triggers clean off in the store.

If you can't afford better, great, good on you for buying American-made Keltecs and HiPoints, hope you get newer ones.

If you can afford better, buy better.

It amazes me how many people call in or come by the store and are surprised that we don't stock Keltecs, and would have to special order them.

Hmmm..., let's see, maybe we SHOULD stock Keltecs, should I put them next to the $18,000 M16, or in the middle of the S&W M&P case?

Maybe between the Leupolds and Vang Comps...

I had a black PF9 and it felt cheap and the finish was horrible. The metal on the slide looked almost pitted, but it wasnt. It was only the cheap metal that it was made of. However, a good friend has a parkerized model and you cant see it on his. The pistol is very light and never did malfunction. Also very accurated to about 10 yards. Im just one of those guys that has to have the best of both worlds, looks and reliability, so I sold it.

3 buddies of mine had the .32cal ones and all three of them sold them. They would jam all the time with all different types of ammo. Someone said earlier all it took was someone pulling the gun out and scared the guy off, well that's all good but imho what if he had to use it? Reliability is no good

I'm a devoted 1911shooter. I've owned 3 keltec 32's. Ex wife has my first. son has my second and my third is in my pocket, Hard crome slide, laser, blck grip. 8 years old with 1500 plus rounds, two failures during break. none since then. fire a magazine full every 10 days or so. Clean it monthly. Always in my front pocket. always goes bang, 95% center of mass out to 25 yards. A 32 will dispatch a pissed off racoon that corners you in the tool shed, but thats another story......

Not a fun sexy pistol but a worthy tool.