• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Keltec PMR30 opinions, thoughts or reviews

danb303

Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Alabama
They look like something fun to plink with. I have seen them on gunbroker for over a grand but I have a chance to buy one local for about half that with 250 rounds of ammo. Any words of advice or comments.

I have read they are very loud and have a lot of muzzle blast.

My thoughts
9mm plinking ammo is about 18-20 bucks for 50. 22 mag is 11-13 bucks.
30 round magazine but my beretta has 20 round mags?

Re: Keltec PMR30 opinions, thoughts or reviews

I'd be hesitant to give that much money for a Kel-Tec.

I've handled one but not shot it. I was surprised how light it was even with a full 30 round magazine. The sights were surprisingly good too. I would buy one if I could find one for less than $600.

Seems like a good gun to have while small game hunting and I'll bet its a heck of a plinker but it is a keltec and a pretty expensive one at that.

what I find interesting are the 16 hex nuts on the top of the slide that hold it together.....hex nuts everywhere.....kel tec went hex nut happy.

I would buy one to flip and double my money. Some people like kel-tecs and swear by them. They had many problems with these pmr30's for a while. I think it was slide came apart, sights constantly coming off, etc. A fun plinking toy if you have that kind of money for toys...

Hell, buy it-trade up for an AR-sell that for $3000.....sounds like a winner!

These guns were hard to sell a year ago for over $300 now this whole jack up and they are all asking $1300+ I always have had a hard time to pay more than factory List price. If you want to pay $500 for a keltec that is better than what some are willing to pay. I found a Sig .22 today for $150 hope to snag that one up.

I looked at one it felt really cheap.. I was a little turned off by it. Ruger Single Six or Single Nine instead.
I know the .22 wmr is a really hard gun to make in semi auto because of the expansion of the case, I've seen a few companies try and they did okay but not 100% that's actually why Ruger stopped making the 10/22 in .22wmr. really hard to get it to be reliable.

22WMR is awful weak from a short barrel

The screwed-together clamshell design screams cheap toy

The early ones were plagued with problems

Rimfire ammo is not reliable enough to depend on.

For a high velocity 22 from a light plastic gun, the FNH 5.7 is way better.

Slow burning powder + short barrel = lower velocity and higher muzzle flash. I just thought it would be fun to have. Plus it would be nice to have while riding ATV's

Absolutely not. My FIL has one and that thing is the biggest POS I have ever shot. Ok maybe not the biggest but damn close.

It will not shoot more then a few rounds between jams. And it is loud as hell. I would never ever shoot it without hearing protection. So that rules it out as a pack gun. And it won't function so that rules it out as a range gun.

Stay away. Or at least shoot it first.

That is BS...KT PMR were hard to locate as with many KT firearms.

I had a PMR that I sold last year. It's a neat pistol at $289 which is what I paid for mine, but I wouldn't say it's worth $500+.

The trigger was better compared to my FN FsN pistol.

I sold all, but one of my KT firearms. I give KT an A+ for innovations, but I only give them a C- for execution.

In the end, I don't trust KT and I don't see them as a viable real world firearm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These guns were hard to sell a year ago for over $300 </div></div>

The PMR30 is a very fun little gun to have and shoots really well.

The only thing is that rimfire ammo doesn't always go boom, so every mag or two you may have a dud round which is a bit annoying.

The important thing however is never ever ever dry fire it and buy a few spare firing pins (about $5 each), I dry fired mine a couple times and the firing pin fell out in 3 pieces when I opened it up.

If you get the extended threaded barrel and the flash hider and the red dot sight for the top, it is a sweet looking range rig.

I've had mine for a year now. Super fun range gun. It is very picky about the ammo run, everything but Winchester grey box jams in mine. But its also the cheapest per 50, so thats a win in my book. I threw a Burris FF on top and its a laserbeam @ 25yds, nice groups.
Paid $550, I see today $600 and up is the going rate. That'd be my personal limit for price paid/what you get.
Kel-Tec gets slammed around a lot but they bring innovation to an otherwise pretty basic industry.
I'd buy another if the $$ was right.

I was lucky enough to find a NIB PMR at my local shop a couple of months ago for a song (less than $350) and snapped it up.

The magazines take some getting used to, but once I figured them out things ran like a dream. Also you can't shoot the big wide open hollow points out of it. So none of the Federal V-shock or Hornady Critical defense. But with pointed bullets, or the more rounded hollow points (maxi-mag HP is a good example) it runs like a dream.

The pistol itself is well laid out, comfortable to hold and shoot (despite the long, skinny grip), and has the best trigger I've ever used on a pistol. Not kidding about the trigger, it's amazing.

Accuracy is better than I expected too. I can put all 30 rounds into six inches at 25 yards off-hand, and ding a 12" gong at 100 yards three out of five times. A better pistol shot could undoubted do better than that. I'm a bit off my stride on the pistol range recently
blush.gif

Now the less good. As someone said previously, the 22WMR is a rifle round and loses a lot of power out of a short barrel (which is why I was looking forward to the RMR so badly...
frown.gif
) and a side effect of that is a very loud report, and bright muzzle flash. Definitely use your hearing protection when you're shooting it...

All-in-all though, it's an excellent pistol. Massively fun to shoot, and rewarding accurate.

I picked one up a few years ago for $389 OTD ( tax included). It's been reliable and accurate for me. I use BVAC ammo. I've tried CCI Maxi Mag but it tends to key hole. I recently added a Burris Fastfire II RDS and its added a new dimension to rapid target acquisition.