• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns ken onion sharpener

jrassy

Grunt
Minuteman
  • Aug 16, 2010
    SD
    got a great deal on one and holy crap is all i gotta say. scary assed sharp kind of fits too.I have been a long time knife sharpener, with 3 different manual methods of sharpening at my disposal , so it was with some trepidation that i got the ken onion sharpener. That , and a really good price. so i unpack-aged it and set it up in my shop. I grabbed one of my knives, a POS Ruko folder and within 4 passes on the KO i had one sharp knife! a couple beers later i grabbed another knife, still in the test mode, this knife was a NRA Chinese folder i got for donating about a billion dollars last year, this fucker was dull! holy shit! 4 passes each side and i was thinking god damn this bitch wants to cut! i was happy, glowing actually in my new found mastery of sharpening a blade from sharp.... to scary sharp. fuck yeah! but my exuberance was tempered by my analytically alcohol induced scientifically deductions. yes, it has sharpened these cheap steel knives to within glorious specifications but !!!! could it really get the edge on a Bowie? or a hatchet? This i pondered, looking around there was no more beer, time to get beer and be serious, i was on to something here for fucks sake!

i cut myself.... good. The cold steel kukri beckoned me, or so i thought, having found not only more beer, but two shots of ice cold Jack Daniels that i stumbled upon looking for some Cheetos i had stashed in the liquor cabinet. the blood would not stop flowing, the Ken Onion sharpener had done its job magnificently on the Kukri, god damned sharp is all i can say! but i took a hit, one for the team so to speak, if you will allow me to be so personal, yet reflective, at the same time. You see it was not the efficiency of the Ken onion sharpener matted with the steel of the blade of the Kukri that was my fast lane to bleeding out but the aggression with which i had applied myself to the task at hand.

note to self, have others sharpen blades to catalog consequences of alcohol vs sharpening related incidents.

Nice report, where did you find the sharpener for a good price?

I'm still using the original Worksharp and they are terrific. My only complaint is how fast it goes through belts. The KO's wider belt should solve that.

I'm also interested in where you found the deal.

Cabelas for 139.00
    i was lucky enough to have a couple Cabelas gift certificates given to me, plus I used my Cabelas club rewards and got 10 percent off as the Ken onion sharpener is a Cabelas club product this month. So out the door for me it cost 30.00. Not fair really.

Last edited:
    I love mine. Smaller blades with curves are a little tricky. I do these on my lansky. Anything else goes on the KO.

Question: Doesn't the KO sharpener put a convex edge on the blade? If so, wouldn't that make it difficult to sharpen the blade if it needed sharpening and the KO sharpener was not available?

Thank you,
    Richard

Question: Doesn't the KO sharpener put a convex edge on the blade? If so, wouldn't that make it difficult to sharpen the blade if it needed sharpening and the KO sharpener was not available?

Thank you,
    Richard

There are two adjustable edge guides, one on each side of the belt. Both are adjustable for angle in relation to the belt face.
    keeping the flat of the blade against the guide will hold that angle. But I have found that I need to go relatively slowly and look at that flat edge to the guide relationship, more so Han watching the belt. Practice, practice, practice seems to be going through my mind here.

as mentioned, shorter length knives with thinner blades seem to come off the guides pretty easy, but I was using my finger as an additional guide for that.
    I will have to check but if you want a v edge I think you could get it, or a chisel edge but I will have to experiment.

good question.

The concept is that an apple seed grind allows for more support of the edge than a flat grind. The initial polished edge of a flat grind will last a bit longer but the apple seed will maintain a good working edge longer. In dressing the edge on an apple raise the spine a few extra degrees in relation to the hone so you get to the edge and are not trying to hone the belly of the apple seed.

^^^^^^
    Thank you. I think I understand the concept. Shall give the KO sharpener a closer look.

Cheers,
    Richard