• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

kestral 4500nv question

Daps!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2010
Lacey, WA
I currently am in the market for a wind meter. I'm using bullet flight on my iphone. I was thinking about the 4500nv with bluetooth. Does anybody have any experience using this combination? Is the bluetooth worth it or should I just get the regular 4500NV also which hide sponsor would you recommend buying from? thanks.

mike

Re: kestral 4500nv question

We have been selling the new meters since the 1st of the year at the lowest prices aloud by Kestrel vendors.

We have actually sold more with the bluetooth then without.

If that helps at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently am in the market for a wind meter. I'm using bullet flight on my iphone. I was thinking about the 4500nv with bluetooth. Does anybody have any experience using this combination? Is the bluetooth worth it or should I just get the regular 4500NV also which hide sponsor would you recommend buying from? thanks.

mike</div></div>

Hi

Can't recommend a vendor but I do have the 4500nvbt and also use Bullet Flight on the iPhone.

I ordered the BT version as I naively thought Bullet Flight would be able to pull atmospheric data directly from the Kestrel..... but.... it can't! Apple, in their infinite wisdom will not allow the iphone's bluetooth stack to share any data or files other than voice & music! So, you still need to manually input the data.

This isn't to say you won't be able to do it in the future though so, if I was in the market again, I would still buy the BT version as it's not something you can add later..

I have had my Kestrel on the tripod with the wind vane on communicating with my laptop via BT though which was pretty cool! Lousy BT range out of the Kestrel though, no more than 10 ft even on 'hi power' and if anything breaks line of sight, the signal drops out...

Hope that helps
Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I ordered the BT version as I naively thought Bullet Flight would be able to pull atmospheric data directly from the Kestrel..... but.... it can't! Apple, in their infinite wisdom will not allow the iphone's bluetooth stack to share any data or files other than voice & music! So, you still need to manually input the data.</div></div>

Wow, good info to know. I am also looking at these right now, but having BT and nothing to connect it to doesn't do me much good.

Thanks

I have a 4500NV. No BT.

Wind has much more Voodoo to it than simply letting an on the fly reading give you a final solution.

But you know, if you have the means to use the BT then why not I say.

They are nifty little devices, especially for training.

I have Patagonia's Loadbase Mobile on my phone and it interfaces through BT with the Kestrel allowing the data from the meter to be loaded directly into the ballistics software. It's a good setup but Patagonia only works with Windows operating systems so you would be stuck with a Windows phone. Now of course you could use a PDA instead but there's enough crap to carry around already. If you're thinking about a real time data interface with your ballistic app/engine it's a good route, albeit not inexpensive. There are three really good vendors/sponsors here that you can purchase it from, all are good so I can't recommend one over the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 4500NV. No BT.

Wind has much more Voodoo to it than simply letting an on the fly reading give you a final solution.

But you know, if you have the means to use the BT then why not I say.

They are nifty little devices, especially for training. </div></div>

+1 I agree completely with everything Vman said here. This is true for me too.