• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestral use

farrier

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2011
NY
I just bought a Kestral 4000. Reading the instructions left me with a Question, If I don't input a barometric pressure or an altitude, will I still get an accurate density altitude reading?
Thanks, Mike

Re: Kestral use

I leave the altitude on my Kestrel 4500 set to 0 so that I get a 'station pressure' reading; I don't even mess with barometric pressure for ballistic use and the DA output is still correct. As long as I have my ballistics software set to station pressure as well everything is good.

I don't have my Kestrel here to verify what I'm about to say by experimenting with entering various reference altitudes, but as I understand it DA converts your current air density (which the Kestrel computes from temp/pressure/humidity) to a relative altitude from a reference atmosphere. Your Kestrel should give you a good DA reading regardless of how you setup your barometric pressure or altitude.

Re: Kestral use

Petey is correct.

There was a related question as to how the Kestrel calculated the air density (based off altitude tables vs actually calculated) but the fine folks at Kestrel have obviously thought this through much more than I have. According to them, DA is calculated from the absolute values of station pressure, relative to humidity and temperature. It is not affected at all by reference values entered in either BP or ALT settings. (see pg 17 of your instruction manual)