• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 4500 vs 4000 NV w/ Bluetooth

bh-ltr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Eugene, OR
So I'm going to be buying a weather meter with bluetooth for use with my Applied Ballistics Android app. What I'm wondering is if the additional cost for the compass in the 4500 is worth the additional cost.

I'd assume that all that is really needed is to set the meter up with the impeller normal to the bullet's flight path and it will then only measure the value of the wind normal to the flight path. My theory on this is that one wouldn't have to know the wind speed and direction and adjust for it. They'd be able to just take the wind speeds that are being measured at face value and would then only have to adjust for the speed variation.

So I guess my questions are should I go with the 4000 or is the compass chip in the 4500 worth the additional cost?

Then one more question. Is it worth buying an inexpensive short tripod to set the meter up on or do you find that just holding it for a minute and then downloading the data once for a site covers you for a long enough period of time to not have to worry about it...

Thanks much

~Brett

Re: Kestrel 4500 vs 4000 NV w/ Bluetooth

Also if anyone has preferred places to buy these from I'd be interested. I've looked around and there aren't any largely disparate prices around so I was going to buy from Mike @CSTactical as he's done right by me in the past. However I had seen on the non BT versions some sites were offering a replacement impeller and a case as part of the deal... Anyway if anyone knows any supreme deals lemme know too. Thanks gents.

~Brett

I cant link it here but the Kestrel product chart shows the 4500 having FOUR features that the 4000 does not:
1-Digital Compass
2-Wind Direction
3-Cross Wind
4-Head/Tail Wind

As mentioned, you may or may not see benefit in these. Either way, give Triad a look for any of your Kestrel needs:
http://www.triadtactical.com/Kestrel-Meters/

Yes they say those are the 4 things that are different but the engineer in me knows that the only difference is a compass chip.

If I'm oversimplifying that then I'm all ears... I've always been a big fan of all the stuff that I've ordered from Triad. Great products and good support/response time!

I'm also a fan of the tactical case that you're carrying...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the engineer in me knows that the only difference is a compass chip.</div></div>

Wait, let me get the popcorn, ENGINEER FIGHT!!!!
grin.gif

No problem with your thoughts, just posting the obvious. If somebody out there needs a readout to tell if its a headwind or a tailwind, please unload your firearm and go the hell home!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the engineer in me knows that the only difference is a compass chip.</div></div>

If somebody out there needs a readout to tell if its a headwind or a tailwind, please unload your firearm and go the hell home! </div></div>

Bravo, Bravo. That's funny shit!!

wink.gif
this is kinda why I'm thinking the 4000 is enough. But still hate buying something and wishing I'd gotten the better one... Or even worse later finding out that I should have gotten the better one.

Just trying to pre-ask those in the know...

Thanks.

The 4500 provides the 4 features listed which in short allows you to know the wind direction. The 4500 will also use the wind direction and wind speed to calculate a Croswind Speed.

FFS (and maybe some other programs) put the wind direction to good use. If you transfer the wind direction from the Kestrel via Bluetooth, FFS will calculate the wind direction to multiple targets with different bearings. I find it helpful to look at a screeen of 4-8 targets and be able to see the Elevationa and Wind Holdovers at one time. We can all guestimate the wind direction for one target. Multiple targets is tougher when time matters.

The Crosswind feature may be a minor convenience to some that want to set their program wind direction to 90 degrees, then just enter the crosswind speed as the wind speed and direction changes.

If either of these features sound helpful to you, then the 4500 is worth considering. Otherwise the 4000 should be terrific for you since it calculate Density Altitude and everything else you need for long range shooting.

I knew what the 4500 had and went with the 4000 as knowing the direction of the wind at your location isn't hard to guage within about :30 min. It's not hard to tell the difference between 3:00 and 4:00...and the difference between 4:00 and 4:30 at your location is not nearly as important as knowing the difference between 3:00 and 5:00 half way to the target...which you'll have to estimate anyway.

For me, the 4000 with BT was the right choice.