• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 AB vs. Sig 2400ABS

Drumie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2005
Western New York
I am looking to get one or the other. I currently have a Swaro Rangefinder that works well for me. I was wondering if I would be better off spending the little extra and get the Sig or if the Kestrel would work better for me? This would not be for hunting. Just range and I would like to get into PRS shooting at some point. What would the pros and cons of each be? Thanks.

Realize that a Kestrel will let you run data at any time, where the SIG with ABS will force you to lase the target in order to run your data. This can be cumbersome at a match when you have to hit each target individually to get your dope, and even worse if you shoot a match where you don't even get to see the targets until you're already on the clock.

I'm all for carrying less crap at matches, but this is a situation where having a separate Kestrel (and a LRF that talks to it) has some serious benefits over a single integrated solution.

Reactions: Diver160651
Thanks Hollywood, I didn't think of that. What LR will talk to the Kestrel?

I went with the Bushnell Elite ConX 1 Mile combo. They had a killer deal on it last year and then with some mail-in rebates, I upgraded the 5700 to the AB firmware.

Haven’t used it much/any as I’m still waiting for my bolt gun but I knew I “wanted” both a LR and ballistic computer.

I'm pretty sure SIG has one that does (might even be the ABS, can't remember for sure), I seem to remember the Terrapin X does, I think one of the new Leica LRFs will, and the Bushnell ConX does, as well. You might want to keep an eye out for announcements from the NRA Show this week, too, as you might see something new that has Kestrel integration.

Any of the current 5-Series Kestrels with Link should work with a LRF that integrates with it. If you can still catch a deal on the Bushnell ConX Combo, that's not a bad way to go, and you can upgrade the Sportsman model Kestrel to the full AB Elite package later on (which is what I did with my combo).

Reactions: pbRex

Honestly one of the very best setups is the Leica 2800.com with AB. It has a smaller beam divergence than the Sigs (online with the Terrapin) and is super smooth with the 5700 giving the DOF/AOF etc in a tiny light weight package

Realize that a Kestrel will let you run data at any time, where the SIG with ABS will force you to lase the target in order to run your data. This can be cumbersome at a match when you have to hit each target individually to get your dope, and even worse if you shoot a match where you don't even get to see the targets until you're already on the clock.

I'm all for carrying less crap at matches, but this is a situation where having a separate Kestrel (and a LRF that talks to it) has some serious benefits over a single integrated solution.

AB on your phone can serve as a dope chart just for referencing. Still not as handy as the Kestrel, but it helps in the aspect you mention.

AB on your phone can serve as a dope chart just for referencing. Still not as handy as the Kestrel, but it helps in the aspect you mention.

It can, but can the ABS LRF feed atmospheric data to the phone to do the firing solution? I've only done it with a Kestrel with Link, so I honestly don't know if the ABS rangefinder works that way.