• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 compass

BigTex

Dr. Dickweed
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2013
    I have a Kestrel 5700 elite with AB and Link and it us losing compass calibration every time it is turned off. Is this normal? Do these have to be calibrated every time they are started?

For example if ny target is at 12:00 and wind from 04:00, it will say the target is at 12 and the wind is from 11:00 etc. The wind direction seems to be whats inaccurate.

so You point the back of kestrel at the target and capture the DOf right?

Then you go down and capture the wind by facing the back of the kestrel into the wind right?

Works perfectly after being recalibrated until i turn it off.

I tagged @Kestrel Ballistics and @KestrelMeters maybe they have some idea. I don’t have to recalibrate mine every time although I usually do. Also make sure you magnetic variation is correct in the settings. That wouldn’t affect your issue but just one other thing to check.

Reactions: BigTex
    New battery didnt help, restoring factory settings didnt help. I have no idea.

I had a Kestrel 5700 w/AB that was doing odd things with the compass intermittently. A couple times, it lost calibration after being turned off. It also lost calibration during a match a couple times, e.g., something at 300 degrees would switch to reading 178 degrees. Sometimes it would work just fine, but it was really annoying to have the compass crap out during a match. I checked with Kestrel, and they asked me to send it in (they sent me a new one prior to sending it in). I have not heard back on what the issue was, but so far the replacement has worked well.

Mine still needs me to tip the Kestrel toward the North while calibrating. It always has from day one so maybe the device inside is F’d up. Won’t calibrate holding it straight up.

Mine did something similar at a match this weekend. Trying to get wind direction using capture and it would not update from 12:00 although I pointed it completely behind me at 6:00. I re-calibrated the compass and it was fine the rest of the day after turning it off. I will have to keep an eye on this.

I have a Kestrel 5700 elite with AB and Link and it us losing compass calibration every time it is turned off. Is this normal? Do these have to be calibrated every time they are started?

For example if ny target is at 12:00 and wind from 04:00, it will say the target is at 12 and the wind is from 11:00 etc. The wind direction seems to be whats inaccurate.

You may want to read this

Kestrel Compass issues

Be cognizant of magnetic interferences that may be present at the location where you calibrate. i have two 4500's with ATRAG. Although not a 5700, I have noticed that if I recalibrate the compass or capture readings while under the firing cover of our local range, I note significant swings in DoF & WD readings and subsequent output to the Range Card. Digging a bit deeper into the problem, I discovered that the vertical supports of the range cover were re-purposed Oilwell production tubing that had become highly magnetized during downhole use. My experiences may or may not be relevant to your issues, but would offer than awareness of the possibility of sources of possible magnetic interference could be nothing but helpful. Could you be wearing something magnetic? Is something in your gear magnetic? Regards

I

thought about that thread but it didn’t seem to fit. Maybe I am wrong if you went the same direction.

Don't know. His 2nd sentence made me think it would help. I've never had his calibration issue. Mine always hold calibration unless the battery dies or FW gets upgraded

Thanks guys, I got one problem worked out. I was unaware that the wind direction was not absolute, but relatice to DOF.

I was shooting almost due north this morning 356 degrees, the first 2 setups were perfect, when I got ready for my 3rd string I captured the dof and it said 148 degrees. I had to recalibrate.

No magnetic interferance.

It appears that my magnetic variation is locked and not able to be changed.

D
    Thanks guys, I got one problem worked out. I was unaware that the wind direction was not absolute, but relatice to DOF.

I was shooting almost due north this morning 356 degrees, the first 2 setups were perfect, when I got ready for my 3rd string I captured the dof and it said 148 degrees. I had to recalibrate.

No magnetic interferance.

It appears that my magnetic variation is locked and not able to be changed.
    Do it in weather mode on the direction screen.

That is good. I was equally confused about the relative nature of the wind direction provided when I started using it. That thread cleared it up for me

Not sure about the calibration though. Did you try calling their customer service and letting them know what is happening?

That is good. I was equally confused about the relative nature of the wind direction provided when I started using it. That thread cleared it up for me

Not sure about the calibration though. Did you try calling their customer service and letting them know what is happening?
    That is the next step.

I have similar issues with mine. Usually will be within reason on the DOF (sometimes off a bit), but can be significantly off on the wind direction. This is not something it has always done, but something I've seen more in the past 6 mos. I usually just manually enter the wind direction and get on with it, just haven't had the time to call them about it.

I have similar issues with mine. Usually will be within reason on the DOF (sometimes off a bit), but can be significantly off on the wind direction. This is not something it has always done, but something I've seen more in the past 6 mos. I usually just manually enter the wind direction and get on with it, just haven't had the time to call them about it.

Dido... I've had same here. I quit trying and just enter manually.

Maybe it's because you're a red raider? ah sorry ...

I have to calibrate every week or so - on or off does not seem to matter. It just seems to drift after a while. How much do you swing it? I did more of a fanning motion to clear out the sensors, and that seemed to lengthen that interval that it stays in tune, maybe just anecdotal.

Out of all the shooter gear I have bought, I have to say I am the most ehh with my kestrel. helped to learn, but I hardly rely on it any more after moving to 4dof nearly exclusively.

I notice that my wind direction always seems to be off my about 1 "hour", for example if DOF is 12:00 and I have kestrel pointed into wind at 3:00, the Kestrel will indicate "2:00" wind. If I turn to 4:00 it wil say "3:00" and so forth. I've calibrated compass away from magnetic sources.

DOF compass reading is fairly accurate, but wind heading is never quite right. I'm on latest firmware on 5700.

Ideas?

We have seen issues with having to redo the compass calibration often when storing the Kestrel in metallic enclosures. The majority of the issues stem from either storing it in a gun safe or even in their car/truck overnight. Please make sure when storing the Kestrel to keep it away from metal enclosures. If this doesn't apply in your case, I would then suggest sending it in for evaluation: https://kestrelinstruments.com/category-service-calibration/kestrel-repair-request

FYI: We will be releasing a version of the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app fairly shortly where you can use your phone's compass to capture and send DOF and WD to the Kestrel (along with inclination angle). This may assist in helping do captures when you feel the Kestrel compass is off.

I notice that my wind direction always seems to be off my about 1 "hour", for example if DOF is 12:00 and I have kestrel pointed into wind at 3:00, the Kestrel will indicate "2:00" wind. If I turn to 4:00 it wil say "3:00" and so forth. I've calibrated compass away from magnetic sources.

DOF compass reading is fairly accurate, but wind heading is never quite right. I'm on latest firmware on 5700.

Ideas?

This was fixed by changing compass to TRUE north, calibrating, and then switching back to magnetic north.

Guy at Kestrel was really helpful in getting this figured out.

If you are experiencing this problems after updating to 1.22 firmware this should solve it.

It was a total shot in the dark but it worked. I’ll jump into some testing to confirm tomorrow.

Happy to help.

-Andrew