• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 Elite gun profiles and Link Ap

DIYguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
I've been doing a lot of searches and haven't found the answer to a specific question.
Append or Overwrite?
I've spent a LOT of time getting the profiles on several of my rifles tweaked so the Kestrel and range results match. I've been doing the tweaks in the iPhone Links ap. When done hit SELECT, then I've selected the gun SEND PROFILE. One gun selected then I chose APPEND. My Kestrel has six copies of every gun and even worse, the profiles are different. After all that work I now don't know which profile is the correct one. Was pretty unhappy when made the road trip 1-1/2 hours to my local range that goes to 1,000+yards. When I went through my environmentals, and select profile I found the six copies of everything including my 6.5 competition rifle and even the tusergun1 profiles that I've deleted multiple times. Selected the profile for my competition rifle and elevations was 2.1 mils low for actual. I have dozens of Labradar strings for my loads at different temperatures for velocities. I've trued Kestrel to gun at 100y, 616y and 1,027y so Kestral and rifle are right on. Now I don't know what the correct profile is. None match what I was shooting yesterday.
I don't see any option for deleting select profiles in the Kestral, only "delete all". I have previous cleaned up the iPhone profiles and deleted select profiles that were obsolete so only one per rifle. I now have (25) profiles in the iPhone ap.
For the Kestrel am I going to have to delete all the profiles, clean up the iPhone Link ap so only one profile per gun and then start all over? I have not seen this address anywhere. No Web posts, answers or Youtube videos.

WTF!!!!
I just spent a long time going through the Link ap and deleted every duplicate profile and made everyone unique. Confirmed, one profile per gun. Closed the ap, reopened the ap, went to Gun Profile Management to check and I'm back to four to six copies of every gun profile, with different profiles for each gun. Kestrel is turned off and in it's case.
What's going on with this ap!!?

WTF!!!!
I just spent a long time going through the Link ap and deleted every duplicate profile and made everyone unique. Confirmed, one profile per gun. Closed the ap, reopened the ap, went to Gun Profile Management to check and I'm back to four to six copies of every gun profile, with different profiles for each gun. Kestrel is turned off and in it's case.
What's going on with this ap!!?
I don’t use the app. It’s actually garbage. Do your self a favor and buy the cable and use the profile loader that’s free on PC to create and transfer your profiles. Thank me later.

Append on the Kestrel Link App adds whatever profile you selected onto your Kestrel without deleting or replacing any profile(s), even similar named profile(s) on your Kestrel.

Overwrite deletes all profiles off your Kestrel device and then uploads whatever gun profile(s) you have selected (left side check boxes) in the Link App.

So it's recommended that you either delete the individual profile(s) off the Kestrel device first (via instructions below) and then "Send Profiles - Append" to add individual profile(s) back on.

OR

You select (check box) ALL the profiles on the Link App and "Send Profiles - Overwrite" without need to manually deleting profiles off the Kestrel device.

If you found that you accidentally skipped uploading a profile via the Overwrite method, unselect every profile on the Link App that was successfully uploaded to the Kestrel, select only the profile(s) you need uploaded, then "Send Profiles - Append".

To delete individually on Kestrel Device -
On main ballistics page
- Up or down keys to scroll to "Gun" (it's between Wind and Enviro...),
- Left or right arrow keys scroll gun profiles
- Press Select, this brings you to the edit page of the profile where you can change the name, MV, bullet weight, CAL DSF, etc.
- Scroll all the way down to "Delete Gun - Go"
- Press select, then select again to delete

Alternative directions on Kestrel Device -
On main ballistics page
- Scroll all the way down to "Manage Guns"
- Press select
- Scroll to profile you want to delete
- Press select, this will bring you to the edit page of the profile where you can change the name, MV, bullet weight, CAL DSF etc.
- Scroll all the way down to "Delete Gun - Go",
- Press select, then select again to delete.

Hope this helps.

Further edit -
If you press "Get Profiles" in "Gun Profile Management" of the Kestrel Link Ballistics app - it will get every profile off the Kestrel device. It shouldn't do it automatically though.

Last edited: