• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 Elite, or Garmin Tactix Delta?

RaptorAddict

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2020
Simi Valley, California
Looking to get my first ballistics calculator. I've always been looking at the Kestrel 5700 Elite with AB and Link. I also came across the Garmin Tactix Delta with AB. For my first calculator, which one would suit better? I know the wind meter has a great advantage over the watch. But which is most preferred from shooters. I am looking at practicality and usability. I am big into watches, but that shouldn't favor the decision. If anything, the Garmin TD will probably make me ignore all my other watches, which would suck. But I am looking for what's best for a shooter.

If it was me, I'd get the Garmin. I've mentioned it before, but a wind meter only measures at shooter location, and so at distances where wind matters most, you're likely gonna have variable wind, unless you only ever shoot flat ground. You can teach yourself to read wind well enough to replace the wind meter, and that's when a wrist mounted calculator comes into its own. Plus, you can't set down your watch in the tall grass and lose it.

Reactions: RaptorAddict
I have both. I say get both. The watch is nice to have but doesn’t fully take the place of a Kestrel.

I ended up grabbing the Garmin for now. Had to really think. Figured once I get the Kestrel dialed in, I'll be using it every so often. I don't compete, but only with ones self. So much more on this watch for life outside of the field I can mess with. I'll grab the Kestrel at some point in the near future. I'm sure the Kestrel is an ultimate tool compared to the watch, but I have yet to own a smart watch. I think this is it.

Reactions: Garmin
You certainly will not be disappointed with the watch. The amount of things you can do with it is simply amazing. I even sold most of my nice automatic watches and have wore the tactix delta exclusively since April. Don’t think I can go back to a normal watch again.

You certainly will not be disappointed with the watch. The amount of things you can do with it is simply amazing. I even sold most of my nice automatic watches and have wore the tactix delta exclusively since April. Don’t think I can go back to a normal watch again.
This is good to hear. Unfortunately, my other watches I collect will probably be neglected. I did check out the Tactix 7, but the style didn't appeal to me. I gave up the touch screen for design difference. Plus I don't like bumping a screen to have it enter a mode, or app I don't want.

This is good to hear. Unfortunately, my other watches I collect will probably be neglected. I did check out the Tactix 7, but the style didn't appeal to me. I gave up the touch screen for design difference. Plus I don't like bumping a screen to have it enter a mode, or app I don't want.
You can disable the touch screen. The tactix 7 is better all around than the delta. Most notably in battery life.

You can disable the touch screen. The tactix 7 is better all around than the delta. Most notably in battery life.
I’m sure the 7 is better, which I’ve been hearing. Something about the Delta I’ve been drawn to and ended up going with that. Ill never use every feature, that’s for certain. Flashlight would’ve definitely been a good touch to have though.

I’m sure the 7 is better, which I’ve been hearing. Something about the Delta I’ve been drawn to and ended up going with that. Ill never use every feature, that’s for certain. Flashlight would’ve definitely been a good touch to have though.
It’s funny I thought it was a gimmicky at first. I use it all. The. Time. Talking about flashlight.

I have small wrist so only bought the 7s, I wish it had the flash light of the 7x/delta