• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 Elite or Sportsman

WYO09

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Montana
I'm just getting into precision and long range shooting and I'm wondering if the sportsman is enough or is the elite just the way to go because it has it all. Cost isn't an issue but if I can save anywhere I always will.

I started with the Sportsman because I got a like NIB unit from someone here for $360. It is more than enough for what I need but I eventually upgraded it to the Elite. You can do that for $190 via a SW upgrade.

The Elite has a lot more features including using CDM versus G1 or G7 BCs. The most important new feature for me was being able to keep more than 3 rifle profiles loaded at one time. I don't shoot at long enough distances where the CDM really shine. I also like the range card feature that you get with the Elite.

If you have more than 3 rifles and shoot at ELR, the Elite may be the way to go; especially, if budget isn't a biggie for you

Thanks for your insight. The range card feature is what I was also looking at. But I'm figuring the Sportsman should be more than adequate for my needs and by the time I'm to the shooting ability I hope to get to, Kestrel will have a bigger, better option I can upgrade to. Thank again for your help.

doesn't the Elite also allow user to track 5 targets vs only 1 on the Sportmans? I really like this feature and think 1 would hold me back. I also have 3 'guns' of mine plus a bunch of my buddies in there, again another upgrade. We can debate the CDMs vs the G1/G7 BCs, but for you, a beginner, I don't think the lack of a CDM is going to hold you back.

My original plan was to go with the Sig 2400 because it seems to be the all in one have everything option, but I've seen mixed reviews on how well it works. The kestrel is tried and true but the 2400 is all new. I hate to jump on the new technology and have to work through the hiccups. If anyone has any thoughts on the 2400 vs the kestrel i'd love to here them.

Hey WYO09 I am in a similar situation. I was wondering what you ultimately decided and if you are happy with your choice between the 5700 sportsman and elite. Thanks