• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 Elite Temp

Nick_S

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2017
Fort Collins CO
Hello

Question regarding temp and muzzle velocity.

If I chrono ammo at 64 F with result of 2938 and enter in Kestrel the. Shoot at 96 F what does the AB software use as a baseline for temp and MV variance?

I realize I can enable a MV table if I have the data but it doesn’t seem to work out.

Does AB assume a baseline temp and variance for all ammo?

Thanks

Nick

You have to enter your data. Add when you are out at the range at different temps.
Example:
64*=2954
78*=2975

So if you shoot later in the summer and the temp is greater the AB ballistics will provide a solution based on your input above.

94*=2998

You can add more data but I’m not sure the suggested amount of inputs before you get a diminishing return or it that even happens. Maybe an exact curve.

Last edited:
Here's where I'm getting jammed up.

AB Mobile has a place to enter zero data. I'm assuming that it uses that temperature as the baseline chrono data.

AB on the Kestrel does not have a place to input unless you enter it in the first field in the MV table.

If not using the MV table in AB on the Kestrel how does the software extrapolate the variance?

Thanks

@Kestrel Ballistics
@DocUSMCRetired
@KestrelMeters

This is from the AB web site:
How important is inputting zero atmosphere?
For a 100 yard zero you DO NOT need to worry about atmospherics. This is for long range zeros (example 300 yards). If you zero at 100 yards, your zero is good for altitudes and conditions.

This is from the AB web site:
How important is inputting zero atmosphere?
For a 100 yard zero you DO NOT need to worry about atmospherics. This is for long range zeros (example 300 yards). If you zero at 100 yards, your zero is good for altitudes and conditions.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that part but not what I'm asking.

I'm probably not articulating this very well.

Ex. I chrono my ammo at 2938 fps @ 64 F.

I also chrono at 95 F and get 2992 fps.

This gives me 1.75 fps change per degree. I realize more data points in the middle is desirable because the change may not be linear.

I could use the MV table and enable it on the Kestrel with AB but then I lose the ability to true velocity (unless I true BC.)

What is the baseline the software assumes and change per degree? Even with truing the software has to have a starting point because it doesnt know of the data (MV) im inputting was obtained at 64 F or 95 F.

Does this make sense?

Thanks again. I realize this is probably just my lack of understanding.

Nick

Reactions: chuckburmester
If I’m understanding your question right
You would enter the trued mv and temp when you trued as an entry in the mv-temp table.

Just turn on the MV table, enter any data you already have and it will extrapolate the MV. If you think the curve won’t match your actual POI you can alter the MV in the table or the BC. I’m very consistent with my actual Magnetospeed data but I had to drop my BC from .321 DTAC115 posted to .318 for the uncoated batch I’m now shooting. You need to validate the actual POI.

If you do not enter different velocities in the temperature table the software always assumes the one entered muzzle velocity you used when you zeroed and crooned the rifled the 1st time. It does not extrapolate different velocities unless you use the table