• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 vs 5700 elite

Jjames06

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2020
North Carolina
Ok i was looking at a kestrel my range goes out to a mile but i mostly shoot out to 1200 mostly. But i want to hit that mile target one day. If i get the kestrel 5700 will that get me to a mile with a 6.5 cm or do have to get the elite?

From a purely solver function standpoint you'd want the Elite, it has DSF (the sub-sonic truing function).

Reactions: stephen r
the 5700 is only weather i beleive, the elite has onboard Applied Ballistics calculator in addition to the weather. only practice will get you to amile.

If I’m not mistaken the standard 5700 doesn’t have the cdm.

read all about it

read all about it

Kestrel 5700 has a ballistic solver, atmospherics, and 3 rifles, is that right?

Kestrel 5700 Elite has Applied Ballistics software, atmospherics, and the ability to save 30 rifles?

Does the AB software make up for an extra 300 bucks? I've never used it and would never use 30 guns worth of data.

Reactions: vou xiong

Kestrel 5700 Elite has Applied Ballistics software, atmospherics, and the ability to save 30 rifles?

Does the AB software make up for an extra 300 bucks? I've never used it and would never use 30 guns worth of data.
AFAIK you can get the ELITE software module/ profiles later for a fee, but you can not upgrade to LINK.

Are you going to be shooting past 800 yards? Interested in ELR? Interested in LR/ELR for rimfire?
If the answer to any of those is yes you want the Elite.

Elite gets you CDM/PDM support, Target Card, DOPE Card, 30 ammo profiles vs 3 profiles, Drop Scale Factor, and Zero Offset (useful for suppressed vs unsuppressed without changing zero).

It's worth noting that the target and DOPE card functions exclusive to AB Elite are required to make those same functions work in the Heads Up Display. IMO, those two features are the most useful ones in the Kestrel HUD and well worth the price of admission.

Thats what i use now... it has been great so far. Got me to 1265yards so far.
If you have NOT yet bought the Kestrel elite with Applied Ballistics and the LINK that allows you to enjoy a display of the shooting data on your Kestrel and cellphone... I would encourage you to consider using the Sig Sauer laser Rangefinder with Applied Ballistics (my Ketsrel 5700 elite compared to SigSauer Kilo2400 ABS).
If I had it to do over, I'd make only the purchase of the Sig Kilo2400 ABS rangefinder (now they have newer models) that is capable of all the Kestrel is (if using the wind meter attached to your cellphone headset port) and the laser rangefinder out to a mile+. Ryan Cleckner, the author of Long Range Shooting Handbook suggests a rangefinder as a higher priority to the Kestrel.

Last edited: