• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel AB Profile Loader - "Backup Weirdness"

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I thought I had this all figured out when I got the right cable for my Kestrel 5700 Elite, loaded the AB Profile Loader Windows application, got connected, and was successfully able to "Get Profiles From Kestrel". The problem I'm hitting now is backing up these profiles to my PC ... which is the reason I got this stuff. After following the directions (which didn't work), and tinkering and testing, I figured out that those profiles copy to a folder called "ABLoader74/Device" when they're "gotten" via the app, but nothing shows in the "Profiles on PC" window when you (allegedly) "Copy to PC" even though the system says it's done what I asked. More tinkering, and I figured out they show in the "Profiles on PC" window only if I MANUALLY copy-and-paste all the profile files from the "Device" folder ... to the "Profiles" folder.

Has anyone figured out a way to have the profile files on the Kestrel, backup to the PC, without having to manually move these files from the "Device" folder, to the "Profiles" folder? It shouldn't be a big deal ... but that manual file copy step is annoying, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Shouldn't this app automatically dump into the "Profiles" folder and show in the window, just like it says in the Instructions (below)?

Any safe advice is appreciated.

PS: If you've solved this, tell me how, and don't worry about getting too "techie" with me. I'm a self-certified "Geek" and former programmer.

1619110955601.png

1619110987848.png

The app is kludgy for sure. They may have a reason for doing what they did folder wise to prevent the "your app deleted all my stuff!" calls.

The fastest way to do what you are asking is make the Profiles folder a junction of the Device folder. Both paths/folder names would exist but in reality it would only be the Device folder and the one set of files within. You'd lose the safety net that the manual file copy gives you but it should do what you are asking.