• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel advice

millertime2

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Illinois, USA
We are attempting 1800 yards this weekend if it doesn’t rain. I don’t have any dope for this rifle that far but I recently acquired a 5700 elite and was wondering will the AB custom curve be closer than using the G1 or G7? There’s only about 3 tenths difference so it’s not a huge deal just wondering what some of your guys experiences have been.

Reactions: Changed
Since you say you don't have dope for your rifle, you can compare different software then wing it. Lately, the online Hornady 4DOF calculator has been surprisingly accurate for me on a wide range of projectiles and distances. With our new 300 PRC barrel, I guessed at a MV and the H4DOF was within 0.3 mil at a mile on the first shot. (probably just blind luck)

We are attempting 1800 yards this weekend if it doesn’t rain. I don’t have any dope for this rifle that far but I recently acquired a 5700 elite and was wondering will the AB custom curve be closer than using the G1 or G7? There’s only about 3 tenths difference so it’s not a huge deal just wondering what some of your guys experiences have been.
I like the CDMs and use them where possible. After adjusting the MV (truing) your data should be close enough I. The vertical should be solid.

Without dope and a trued trajectory the 5700 is only guessing.

4dof was closer than my buddy’s 5700.

Either way it should get you within a mil or two.

Reactions: TripleBull
You will be close. Tried the same thing with my dad's 6.5, gave it 2700 for MV, came damn close. We chronoed it a while later and we got 2720 for avg so we guessed pretty close and got a little lucky I'm sure

I’ve had good results with ab and the cdm’s. First time I shot at 1800 first shot was 3 moa high and I forgot to set coriolis shooting east

I put my solution into the 4Dof calculator it was .5 mils flatter than CDM. It will be interesting to see which one is the closest.

I recently got 1900 with Hornady 140eldm factory using cdm. 12 shots to dial in the wind, the original elevation call was spot on, prior to this there longest I had shot was 1k. Others got his with 6.5, not sure what their calculator solution was.

Details, I think the cdm is pretty accurate, and 4dof more so, but you do need to calibrate the starting point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheeseburger1976