• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel advice

Mj30wilson900

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2020
    Missouri
    I recently won a kestrel 2700 with vane mount. Never opened it but was using my friends Hornady 4dof kestrel and like the stand alone function rather than pairing with my phone all the time. For long range shooting what is the go to kestrel. Applied ballistics or the 4dof.
    The elite 5700 models are an option as well but I am under the impression it relays on applied ballistic solvers.
    I predominantly use Hornady bullets is why I am asking. Probably going to get rid of the 2700 and vane mount.

No purchase. Just download.
    I think he is referring to having to purchase the AB app.

It is still not free but not needed with the Kestrel. Kestrel has it’s own LiNK software but does not act as a ballistic software. It allows gun management and remote operation when you’ve got the wind vane set up. It ports the data from the kestrel to your phone real time. Hope that helps.

I did purchase the AB, mobile software, and it works but quite frankly it’s disappointing. I don’t know why they don’t put a little more effort into that.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
    I think he is referring to having to purchase the AB app.

It is still not free but not needed with the Kestrel. Kestrel has it’s own LiNK software but does not act as a ballistic software. It allows gun management and remote operation when you’ve got the wind vane set up. It ports the data from the kestrel to your phone real time. Hope that helps.

I did purchase the AB, mobile software, and it works but quite frankly it’s disappointing. I don’t know why they don’t put a little more effort into that.
    Ah. I was thinking the Kestrel app.

It has paid off for me if I want to look at data while my Kestrel is not with me. Also, I am vison impaired so having things on my iPad to play with load comparisons etc makes it work it for me. Larger screen.