• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel and curve?

Rooster59

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2020
Not sure if this is the right forum for this? If not, sorry.
I‘m having a hard time getting my ballistic curve right on my kestrel.
6.5 Creed, 140 ELD-M, Peterson LRP brass, 39.8 gr H4350, CCI 200 primer.
I’m shooting sub 1/2 moa with it. Magnetospeed clocks them at 2694.

These bullets are relatively new to me. I’ve used a bunch of ELD-X 143’s and ELD 147’s but just started the 140’s.
Anyhow, I set out a couple steel targets…one at 510 yards and the other ended up at 805.
Got zeroed at 100.
To hit center on both targets, I had to add 1/2 moa beyond what the kestrel wanted for the 510 yard target and take pretty much 1 moa off what it called for on the 805 yard.

I’ve tried calibrating MV at both distances, massaged the G7 BC and still can’t get it right.

The closest I’ve come to having both holdovers in the ballpark, has the BC about 100 higher than the number on the box and the MV about 100 fps slower than what the magnetospeed .
Anyone else had a wrestling match with this?
Thanks

Did you get a accurate measurement of the distance between bore and scope centerline?

Did you do a tall target test to confirm scope tracking?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this? If not, sorry.
I‘m having a hard time getting my ballistic curve right on my kestrel.
6.5 Creed, 140 ELD-M, Peterson LRP brass, 39.8 gr H4350, CCI 200 primer.
I’m shooting sub 1/2 moa with it. Magnetospeed clocks them at 2694.

These bullets are relatively new to me. I’ve used a bunch of ELD-X 143’s and ELD 147’s but just started the 140’s.
Anyhow, I set out a couple steel targets…one at 510 yards and the other ended up at 805.
Got zeroed at 100.
To hit center on both targets, I had to add 1/2 moa beyond what the kestrel wanted for the 510 yard target and take pretty much 1 moa off what it called for on the 805 yard.

I’ve tried calibrating MV at both distances, massaged the G7 BC and still can’t get it right.

The closest I’ve come to having both holdovers in the ballpark, has the BC about 100 higher than the number on the box and the MV about 100 fps slower than what the magnetospeed .
Anyone else had a wrestling match with this?
Thanks
Have you tried the Litz custom curve option? Those always seem spot on for me.

Did you get a accurate measurement of the distance between bore and scope centerline?

Did you do a tall target test to confirm scope tracking?
I haven’t done a tall target test. I should. I’m using a Nightforce NX 8 and it’s been spot on with other loads/ bullets.
just this 140 gr is giving me fits. The load shoots great?

Have you tried the Litz custom curve option? Those always seem spot on for me.
I usually use the custom curve but when things weren’t lining up I started messing with G7 and even tried the G1.

I usually use the custom curve but when things weren’t lining up I started messing with G7 and even tried the G1.
Interesting. Not knowing your experience level, I would recommend you go over all your input data with a fine tooth comb. I’m shooting the 140 ELD-Ms at 2729 fps using the Kestrel custom curve and it is lining up well.

Reactions: Rooster59
I'm not familiar with the Kestrel but two thoughts come to mind. First is your zero distance may be off. Small errors in zero are magnified at distance. The second is how accurate is your distance measurement? You should also be using the lower G7 coefficient for M=1.75.

Reactions: Rooster59