• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel and PC not communicating

wchartz

Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
McKenzie, TN
My Kestrel 4500 (ISS 4.93) and my AB Profile loader (Build 60) are not communicating now but they have in the past. I am running Windows 10 and communicating by Bluetooth. This worked well in the past. I have not changed anything that I know of. The Build 60 screen window says that the Kestrel is connected to the PC but when I activate the Send to Kestrel button, the button blinks once as always but no information is exchanged. I have restarted the PC and the Kestrel, activated the Comport Connect/Disconnect button numerous times but nothing helps. I have communicated this problem to AB on their contact email yesterday but I know they have not had time to respond. I thought someone on the Hide might have solved this problem. The last time I sent an email to AB on their site about a technical problem they did not respond.

Reactions: Monk Medic
Maybe unrelated (sorry if that's the case), but my Kestrel 5700 elite will not communicate with the app on my phone anymore. It did, and now it won't. It also seems slower than it used to be, in sending a firing solution to my bushy conx RF. Usually takes to tries, never on the first one anymore.

I should add, I assume I'm doing something wrong with it, as I'm a computer idiot. If It stays this way, I'll call kestrel and ask for their help. Just thought someone here might have dealt with this, much like the OP. I know Kestrel will get back to you though, and promptly. Great customer service whenever I've had to call.

Maybe unrelated (sorry if that's the case), but my Kestrel 5700 elite will not communicate with the app on my phone anymore. It did, and now it won't. It also seems slower than it used to be, in sending a firing solution to my bushy conx RF. Usually takes to tries, never on the first one anymore.

I should add, I assume I'm doing something wrong with it, as I'm a computer idiot. If It stays this way, I'll call kestrel and ask for their help. Just thought someone here might have dealt with this, much like the OP. I know Kestrel will get back to you though, and promptly. Great customer service whenever I've had to call.
Reset to factory.

It went through the checklist. Everything checks good. Still cannot communicate although the window says that the PC and Kestrel are connected.

This is with a 4500, so it may be a BT incompatibility issue. My laptop seemed to work fine, and then one day it just plain quit working (right in the middle of a hunting trip, out in nowhereville Montana). Turns out I needed a USB BT adapter to get everything working again. Apparently there are issues with the 4500's not supporting some of the newer BT formats/updates.... The "dongle" resolved the issues, but make no mistake, the interface software on the 4500 is shit. Couple that with MS Win 10 BT support being spotty/tempermental, and you have a very frustrating device that will sync fine for a while, and then when either get updated (Kestrel s/w or Win 10 OS), shit breaks again.

That's been my major heartburn with the Kestrel; finger pointing and "NMP" (not my problem). When it works, it's great. But I tell you, I dread having to sync my Kestrel, because I'm never sure it will.

Try a dongle (Kensington) and the latest driver for Win 10.