• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Ballistic and MagnetoSpeed Join Forces!

Awesome!

Bluetooth it right into the Kestrel.....

Damn this means my Sporter will need an upgrade.

Reactions: Timo Turl
Awesome news! Please have someone redesign that #$&#@& strap mechanism! The original designer was dropped on his head too many times as a child.....😎

Last edited:
I just wish that engineers would design a product that could be upgraded when future improvements come down the pipe.

Nothing is more frustrating than spending a craptastic amount on all of the stuff needed for precision shooting, only to have to try to sell it all for a loss when the new version talks to everything else you own.

For instance, a guy bought a Kilo 2k, a magnetospeed, and a Kestrel 5700 a few years ago. None of them talked to each other. Now they will all work together via Bluetooth, but he has to sell everything at a loss instead of paying a smaller fee to upgrade his existing equipment.

Depending on how the symbiosis materializes I may have to get a Kestrel.

The magnetospeed display and interface leaves a lot to be desired.

I just wish that engineers would design a product that could be upgraded when future improvements come down the pipe.

Nothing is more frustrating than spending a craptastic amount on all of the stuff needed for precision shooting, only to have to try to sell it all for a loss when the new version talks to everything else you own.

For instance, a guy bought a Kilo 2k, a magnetospeed, and a Kestrel 5700 a few years ago. None of them talked to each other. Now they will all work together via Bluetooth, but he has to sell everything at a loss instead of paying a smaller fee to upgrade his existing equipment.
This. I have both. I am thinking it will take quite a bit to get me to buy both again.

Depending on how the symbiosis materializes I may have to get a Kestrel.

The magnetospeed display and interface leaves a lot to be desired.
I'm hopeful that we'll see an upgraded control box and/or a dedicated BT interface with app. Kestrel's done both before, so I think my optimism has justification.

I don't necessarily see the value of having the MS talk straight to the Kestrel, though.

Saving 5 seconds would be a byproduct, the objective would be adjusted holds based on the actual MV of the last round. Temperature and powder sensitivity as well as elevation issues might go away.

Saving 5 seconds would be a byproduct, the objective would be adjusted holds based on the actual MV of the last round. Temperature and powder sensitivity as well as elevation issues might go away.
The negative effect of having the wand hanging off your barrel acting as an unpredictable tuner, greatly outweighs any benefit of realtime adjustment to dope.

I'm with @Jabot enter your MV calibrate it with real dope.

I guess in elr or bench rest with one of those devices that moves out off the barrel, but meh!

Shooting "for real" with it on the barrel is a terrible idea, and I say that as a happy MS owner. It's close enough to get on paper for a 50 or 100yd zero, but it definitely shifts PoI substantially.

How hard is it to enter your muzzle velocity into kestrel. It takes what 5 seconds
0A10E1EC-7134-46C9-BCDE-7866EAC987E4.gif

• Haha
Reactions: aam and seansmd
Wasted Step in Software:

The software changes the MV anyway, the only way they can true is either MV or BC, so the values are adjusted as needed and most just play with MV because they don't understand BC.

Really you can start with any number in software, like for a 6.5 with a 140, just put 2750 in the kestrel, and then once you go to true that number will change. It's 25fps per .1 mil adjustment.

You want a Chronograph for reloading, not software, it's a wasted step today. We are not attempting to predict in a vacuum we know we need to adjust it to match. The idea behind the MV was to predict when you can't shoot, we know that is flawed, so just wing it to start.

That said, I like the pairing between Magneto and Kestrel it makes sense, been talking about consolidation with companies a lot lately, this fits. It was a good idea.

If you reload, chronograph, if not, borrow one or let the software tell you based on drop.