• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Batteries

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Seems like batteries are draining down faster than I expected for my limited Kestrel use.

If I change batteries does the Kestrel maintain all input info?

I’ve been using mine twice a week or more since I got it.
    Battery levels were all over for a while but now they’re pretty stable now and pretty high.

Go to memory settings
    Take Auto-Store off.

It is the default setting.

If it is already off...
    Lithium batteries stay at 3.7V for long time unlike alkalis. Thus without calibration file of some sort to monitor its power consumption, you have just a guess.

Most likely it will show charge between 20-100% which is mostly temperature linked.

I still have not replaced batteries on mine but I carry a spare just as any other device I have.

Last edited:
    Good info.

Mine is acting in the same manner as everyone else.

Lithium battery is installed. Pretty sure Auto store is already off.

Confident now I wont have to worry it will go TU in the middle of my class tomorrow.

Good info.

Mine is acting in the same manner as everyone else.

Lithium battery is installed. Pretty sure Auto store is already off.

Confident now I wont have to worry it will go TU in the middle of my class tomorrow.
    If mine is going to to sit for a bit, I take the batteries out.

Reactions: pmclaine
    I had the same problem with a (~6 years-old) 4500.
    It was eating batteries like a short-circuit, until the day I found an option somewhere in the device's settings to specify the type of batteries -- Li, NiCd, etc.
    Check it out; specifying the right type of power source did make a huge difference for me.

I had the same problem with a (~6 years-old) 4500.
    It was eating batteries like a short-circuit, until the day I found an option somewhere in the device's settings to specify the type of batteries -- Li, NiCd, etc.
    Check it out; specifying the right type of power source did make a huge difference for me.

Yep Im on Li.

Just a flukey display. Will show one capacity to start but than "warms" up and gives a better solid reading.