• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel BC Values are incorrect

Superjet

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
I primarily shoot Hornady 88 eldms, Berger 85.5’s and Berger 130 hybrids and have recently noticed that the Kestrel default values for G7 BC differ from the mfg stated BC. I only started questioning this as I have recently switched to the 85.5's and am having some elevation issues at ranges beyond 700 yards. ES on loads is around 15 FPS, at 2950 FPS. Is this just an error on Kestrel's/AB's end or am I missing something?

BC VARIATIONS.jpg

I primarily shoot Hornady 88 eldms, Berger 85.5’s and Berger 130 hybrids and have recently noticed that the Kestrel default values for G7 BC differ from the mfg stated BC. I only started questioning this as I have recently switched to the 85.5's and am having some elevation issues at ranges beyond 700 yards. ES on loads is around 15 FPS, at 2950 FPS. Is this just an error on Kestrel's/AB's end or am I missing something?

View attachment 8121766
I’m pretty sure the kestrel BC’s are litz’s tested BC’s not the manufacturers

I’m pretty sure the kestrel BC’s are litz’s tested BC’s not the manufacturers
Well yeah, but isn’t he still Berger’s lead ballistics guy? So, would we not have a reasonable expectation that AB G7 will match Berger’s G7 for the 130 HTs?

Well yeah, but isn’t he still Berger’s lead ballistics guy? So, would we not have a reasonable expectation that AB G7 will match Berger’s G7 for the 130 HTs?
🤷‍♂️. That would be a safe assumption but u know what happens when you assume.

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
There was a time when Bryan would respond here but I haven’t seen him in a while, or doc. I don’t even think doc is with AB anymore

Reactions: Baron23

View attachment 8121766
88eldm.png

There is the banded BC info Hornady provides. If Kestrel/AB track into trans/subsonic their average BC is going to be further down the curve.

What’s banded info?
The BC value is tied to velocity, not just the shape of the bullet. Most vendors give a single number average that usually works "good enough" at common distances.

Hornady gives 3 different G1 and G7 values at different speeds as shown in the picture for many of their target bullets. As you can see the BC value decreases as the speed decreases.

Their whole chart is here:

Reactions: MilSpecOkie
The Hornaday 4DOF 5700 uses bullet data developed by Hornady, all other 5700 ballistic meters use bullet data developed by AB. When you use the App to create a profile the phone/pad goes to their database for the bullet information. There is very little bullet data in the Kestrel itself, just a few profiles. Always build your profile in the Kestrel Link Ballistic App and transfer to the Kestrel for optimal bullet data. The best data would be the 4DOF for Hornaday or the AB Custom for AB. These are tested results and allow the ballistic engine to optimize results.