• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel connection problem with Terrapin X

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
We have gotten some call from users unable to get the Kestrel and Terrapin X to communicate. This seems to be a new issue and we are looking for feedback on the scope of this issue.

If you have experienced this can you post when you first experienced it and about how old your Terrapin X is. Also any Terrapin firmware upgrades you may have done, as well as anything you might have done that you associate with the beginning of the problem.

Thanks for your help!

Yes I have spoken to your team. You guys already know about the problems I’m having. It worked on the first gen of terrapins. I had no problems at all. Then realized my terrapin won’t update so a year later they took it back and sent me a new one and now this loses connection everytime either the kestrel or terrapin turn off. Happens to my friends aswell

Have you guys been able to reproduce the issue with a Terrapin X in your lab?

I just started having this issue with a recent kestrel firmware update. Not sure when the firmware became available but I have not used my unit since July and I do not recall having BT connection issues.
I have found that sometimes turning BT off/on on the kestrel works and other times I have to go into the terrapin BT menu and scroll through the settings and confirm kestrel is selected for it to work.
Has anyone found a better solution?

Terrapin X
Firmware is TerPin 13.01
P/N: 914561
Serial #: 002XXX
Type Number: A001

Kestrel
Model: 5700AL
SN: 231XXXX
FW: 1.43
Boot: 1.01
HW: Rev 11B

Bluetooth connectivity between the Kestrel and Terrapin X is now intermittent both at startup and after the Terrapin X goes to sleep.

These devices used to connect and reconnect quickly back in June 2020. Ive updated firmware in both devices and now Bluetooth is not reliable.

When I’m in the field shooting, I’ll connect the Kestrel and the Terrapin X and start engaging targets.

However at some point the Terrapin will go to sleep and connectivity will drop.

Now when I wake up the Terrapin, it usually won’t reconnect. It will occasionally reconnect.

To get the two devices to talk again, I need to toggle the Bluetooth on and off in the Terrapin.

I have the Kestrel “locked” to the Terrapin.

Happy to provide more info if needed.

I was never able to establish a good connection. Same issue as the above poster. Once it goes to sleep, pain to reconnect. I assumed it was the terrapin.

Now I have garmin watch and it works flawlessly. As soon as I hit button to wake up terrapin it reconnects. So it’s a kestrel issue or a kestrel/t-x issue somehow.

I tried mine off and on over the last year with any new kestrel updates. Never could get it to work reliably.

Sunday I gave up on the Terrapin and connected to my Sig Kilo 3000 and it reconnected quickly. I'm trying the data logging interval tweak now to see if it helps. I'm in communication with Terrapin but they don't have a solution yet.

Any updates coming soon to fix this issue ?
I just e-mailed SAFRAN VECTRONIX customer support to see if there is any update. My last update was November 25, 2020. I also sent a link to this thread in case they want to engage on this forum with other users who have the same issue.

I did try the data logging interval tweak and it had no noticeable impact positive or negative. I do hope @Kestrel Ballistics and Safran Vectronix can work together to find a solution.

Got an e-mail today from Safran Vectronix letting me know the Product Manager will get in contact with me shortly with an update regarding this issue.

Terrapin X
Firmware is TerPin 13.01
P/N: 914561
Serial #: 002XXX
Type Number: A001

Kestrel
Model: 5700AL
SN: 231XXXX
FW: 1.43
Boot: 1.01
HW: Rev 11B

Bluetooth connectivity between the Kestrel and Terrapin X is now intermittent both at startup and after the Terrapin X goes to sleep.

These devices used to connect and reconnect quickly back in June 2020. Ive updated firmware in both devices and now Bluetooth is not reliable.

When I’m in the field shooting, I’ll connect the Kestrel and the Terrapin X and start engaging targets.

However at some point the Terrapin will go to sleep and connectivity will drop.

Now when I wake up the Terrapin, it usually won’t reconnect. It will occasionally reconnect.

To get the two devices to talk again, I need to toggle the Bluetooth on and off in the Terrapin.

I have the Kestrel “locked” to the Terrapin.

Happy to provide more info if needed.
I have the same issues

• Sad
Reactions: Lite
I have the same issues
Alex2x2: Thanks for letting us know. Good to collect who is having issues and who is not. It might be good to also add your Firmware Version for both your devices to your post. Maybe we will spot a pattern. I am speculating that a firmware release sometime after June of 2020 caused the issue since my devices worked great together in June of 2020. I think I discovered the issue in October of 2020 but I'm not 100% sure. I know I logged a support ticket in November after trying to troubleshoot it myself by resting both devices to factory settings go make sure it was not something I did.

I do believe they are working on a fix that we will hopefully see soon. Stay tuned into this thread.

Reactions: bunsen27
Alex2x2: Thanks for letting us know. Good to collect who is having issues and who is not. It might be good to also add your Firmware Version for both your devices to your post. Maybe we will spot a pattern. I am speculating that a firmware release sometime after June of 2020 caused the issue since my devices worked great together in June of 2020. I think I discovered the issue in October of 2020 but I'm not 100% sure. I know I logged a support ticket in November after trying to troubleshoot it myself by resting both devices to factory settings go make sure it was not something I did.

I do believe they are working on a fix that we will hopefully see soon. Stay tuned into this thread.
Firmware is latest.

Attachments

• IMG-20210210-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20210210-WA0008.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 74
My Kestrel doesn't work with Terrapin X. I don't know why.

Attachments

• IMG_20210210_212306.jpg
    IMG_20210210_212306.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210210_212246.jpg
    IMG_20210210_212246.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20210210_212102.jpg
    IMG_20210210_212102.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_2021-02-10-21-18-58-579_com.terrapin.terrapinx.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-02-10-21-18-58-579_com.terrapin.terrapinx.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_2021-02-10-21-30-07-362_com.nkhome.link.ballistics.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-02-10-21-30-07-362_com.nkhome.link.ballistics.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 60
My Kestrel doesn't work with Terrapin X. I don't know why.
Did you remember to put the Terrapin X into "Kest" mode? You probably had it in App mode to talk to the smartphone app.

My trick to get it to work in the field was to switch the Terrapin from Kest to App, then from App back to Kest and it would connect. So I got very good at switching modes. Not ideal and I'm using another LRF for now until this gets resolved.

Did you remember to put the Terrapin X into "Kest" mode?
Yes I did.

My Kestrel can't see the Terrapin after wake up. I need to reboot Bluetooth in Terrapin. After that connection is established

P.S. Sorry for my English.

Last edited:
Yes I did.

My Kestrel can't see the Terrapin after wake up. I need to reboot Bluetooth in Terrapin. After that connection is established

P.S. Sorry for my English.
Looks like you have the exact same problem I have. Thanks for clarifying.

Do you think rolling the system back to factory settings will help?
I tried doing factory resets on both the Kestrel and the Terrapin X to see if I messed something up. It did not solve the problem for me and I'm pretty sure the problem is not in the Kestrel since it works fine with 2 other LRF's I have with Bluetooth.

I think if you could go back to an earlier firmware on the Terrapin X that would be worth trying. But I did not look into if that was possible as I just switched to another LRF for now that does work well and connects and re-connects quickly. Also I've been in contact with Terrapin's customer support since November and they did not offer up this as a remedy.

I'm just going to wait for the next update and give that a try when it comes out.

Looks like you have the exact same problem I have. Thanks for clarifying.

Dear Lite, dear all,

I can confirm that we are in the last stages of a new TERRAPIN X firmware update and all looks promising that the error will then not occur anymore. Please check wikthin the next days your TERRAPIN X app and from there you will be able to install the new firmware to your TERRAPIN X. I will also drop a note in this forum.

Best wishes from Switzerland,

Philip

Reactions: alex2x2 and Lite
Dear Lite, dear all,

I can confirm that we are in the last stages of a new TERRAPIN X firmware update and all looks promising that the error will then not occur anymore. Please check wikthin the next days your TERRAPIN X app and from there you will be able to install the new firmware to your TERRAPIN X. I will also drop a note in this forum.

Philip
Philip that is great news! I appreciate the support from you and Matti to get this resolved.

Dear Lite, dear all,

Philip

Thank you for support us

I found 2 more issues with Terrapin X and Kestrel 5700 Elite.

1 issue.
When I make measurements by Terrapin X , Kestrel shows different distance. The difference is 1 m.
Terrapin X shows 708m, Kestrel 709m. 213/214 m, 509/510m etc.

it happens every 2 measurements.

2 issue

When I change direction of fire with Terrapin X , Kestrel sometimes doesn't show new distance. I need to push the button once again to send distance from Terrapin X to Kestrel

I don't know exactly is it Kestrel or Terrapin X bug.

Last edited:
I found 2 more issues with Terrapin X and Kestrel 5700 Elite.

1 issue.
When I make measurements by Terrapin X , Kestrel shows different distance. The difference is 1 m.
Terrapin X shows 708m, Kestrel 709m. 213/214 m, 509/510m etc.

it happens every 2 measurements.

I don't think this is a real issue. I suspect what you are seeing is either rounding of the distance and/or adjustment of the distance due to inclination angle. If I recall, if you see an asterisk (*) next to the distance in the Kestrel, you are seeing a distance that has been adjusted due to inclination angle. I believe it will always be shorter if it is a positive or negative inclination. If you don't see the * on the Kestrel, then I think you are just seeing a rounding issue and it should not matter for practical purposes. Perhaps @Kestrel Ballistics has details on how they take in the data from LRFs. I'm just going off of black box testing of what I've seen in the field and testing.

2 issue

When I change direction of fire with Terrapin X , Kestrel sometimes doesn't show new distance. I need to push the button once again to send distance from Terrapin X to Kestrel

I don't know exactly is it Kestrel or Terrapin X bug.

I've seen this with not just the Terrapin, but also other LRFs. Here I think it just does not communicate successfully and you have to zap the target again and send it again. This might be improved with the new Terrapin firmware we are waiting patiently on, but I've seen this in Sig and Bushnell products too.

BTW you mention direction of fire (DOF). That is one thing the Terrapin does better than the other LRFs I own, it sends actual DOF in the data to the Kestrel. This is important for me when I'm running the Kestrel in a weather vane mount with live wind data which is how I setup for Prairie Dogs. Not important for competition or most hunting, but really awesome on Prairie Dogs.

Here is a photo of how I run the Terrapin (in tripod), Kestrel (in weather vain mount) and Kestrel HUD on the rifle. This was a really sweet setup last June when we had some very windy days out in SD. @bunsen27 is to blame for me buying the HUD and weather vein, but it worked very well in this scenario.

SD-JUNE-2020.jpg

Wow this photo really makes me want to get back out west sooner than latter. Is it June yet?

Reactions: bunsen27
I suspect what you are seeing is either rounding of the distance and/or adjustment of the distance due to inclination angle. If I recall, if you see an asterisk (*) next to the distance in the Kestrel, you are seeing a distance that has been adjusted due to inclination angle. I believe it will always be shorter if it is a positive or negative inclination.
No it isn't. It's real bug of Kestrel or Terrapin X

No it isn't. It's real bug of Kestrel or Terrapin X
When we get the new firmware that hopefully fixes the Bluetooth connectivity, I'll pay more attention and see if this happens to me.

Dear all,

I am pleased to inform you that today we uploaded a new TERRAPIN X Firmware which solves the Kestrel-TERRAPIN X connectivity issues. Go and check you TERRAPIN X app.

1.) Take you TERRAPIN X and switch into the APP mode
2.) Now take your Kestrel and switch off Bluetooth
3.) Switch Bluetooth on at the Kestrel
4.) Go in your TERRAPIN X in the Kestrel (heSt) mode and they should find each other

Cheers,
Philip

Reactions: kerjo and Lite
Dear all,

I am pleased to inform you that today we uploaded a new TERRAPIN X Firmware which solves the Kestrel-TERRAPIN X connectivity issues. Go and check you TERRAPIN X app.

4.) Go in your TERRAPIN X in the Kestrel (heSt) mode and they should find each other

Cheers,
Philip

Awesome. I'll try it out shortly.

Dear all,

Cheers,
Philip

Philip,

I upgraded firmware on the Terrapin X and followed the directions. The LRF and Kestrel connected. Also connected the HUD.

Measured multiple targets and all worked. Waited 3 minutes for Terrapin X to go to sleep, and when I wake it up, it won't reconnect to the Kestrel. I can't even get it to manually reconnect using the Kestrel device menu.

Trying again without the hud.

Hum... now it connects, but it won't send the data to the Kestrel at all. I'll keep testing but the original problem of reconnecting after going to sleep seams to still persist.

Update: Ran 2 more tests with only the Terrapin X and Kestrel and got the same result. Initial connection is fine, can measure several targets, but once the Terrapin X goes to sleep after about 3 minutes, it won't reconnect to the Kestrel automatically or manually until I cycle the Bluetooth off and then back on in the Terrapin X.

Wish I had better results to report. Here is a photo when all 3 devices were working initially before the LRF went to sleep.

F676739D-2478-47A2-BC6B-BC9543451108.jpeg

Last edited:
Kestrel or Terrapin?

I have no longer the problem.
My Terrapin quickly reconnects to Kestrel after wake up.
Good catch. Terrapin X. I edited my post.

Glad yours is working now. Did you upgrade Kestrel firmware too? I did not. I might try that next.

Updated Kestrel firmware and needed to do soft resets on both devices but now the Terrapin X is reconnecting to the Kestrel after going to sleep. It's not quick, takes 60 seconds to reconnect, but it is reconnecting.

Hoping there is a setting that will get that reconnect time down like it used to be and like it works on other LRFs.

Last edited:
It takes about 3 seconds. I've just checked.
Today I was getting reconnect times of 4.8 seconds up to 20 seconds after the LRF went to sleep. This is encouraging. Not sure why sometimes it reconnects so quickly and other times it takes longer. I'm speculating there may be a setting in the Kestrel that changes how frequently it looks for connections. I think I've seen that before and I'll look for it tomorrow. Long day today, but it was nice to have the Terrapin X and Kestrel 5700 working together once again which is just in time for my annual Prairie Dog shoot.

I just did the firmware update and my terrapin/kestrel is communicating as it should. When the terrapin is taken out of its sleep, it’s ready to transmit to the kestrel as soon as the BT indicator stops flashing.
Glad it finally works as it should and I don’t have to play the BT on/off or reconnect game to get them talking to each other.

Last edited:
Today I've noticed another issue with connection between Terrapin X and Kestrel. This time the problem is with Kestrel.

During intensive measurements in DoF / Wind capture mode Kestrel does not always accept data from Terrapin.

Last edited:
I had a problem at a match yesterday. In addition to the reconnecting problems described here, the range never go into the Kestrel from the TerrapinX. This morning, I updated the TerrapinX to build 247 and the Kestrel was already at v1.45. I have let the TerrapinX turn off multiple times, and upon pushing the button, it reconnects. I'd like it to reconnect faster, but it's definitely workable now. NOTE: I do have the HUD connected, and I have a vague sense that things work a bit better when that's the case. I do wish the TerrapinX would connect to the Kestrel as quickly as the HUD does.

• Sad
If you have connection problems and have not increased your Kestrel data logging rate to 2 seconds, try this, if this works keep it handy as the logging rate reverts to 5 seconds with a Kestrel fw update.

Yesterday at Coleman's Creek my TerrapinX would not reconnect.

I checked today and my Device Sync Rate was 2 seconds. But my Data Logging Rate was 1 hour!

Adjusted now (see photo below) and will re-test today.

BTW @Kestrel Ballistics, what should Device Sync Rate be and what does it do?

Lite

2C830CBE-AB68-42FB-8A1A-8621A4C8398E.jpeg

Last edited:
After factory reset, here are the default values. Hum...

9DE17C94-7506-4F37-992C-C9D59D059499.jpeg