• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Corrosion

sblanch

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Iowa
My Kestrel sat for months with the batteries in. I went to use it and some of the buttons won't work. I popped out the batteries and found corrosion inside. This is specifically not covered by warranty.

I'm not sure why it happened or what to do about it but I guess this is a word of warning. Pull the batteries if your meter is gonna sit unused for an extended period.

Re: Kestrel Corrosion

You can still send it back to Kestrel and they will take a look at it. A friend of mine had the same thing happen and it cost him like $40.00 to have them go thru it and return it to him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutlawTen5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can still send it back to Kestrel and they will take a look at it. A friend of mine had the same thing happen and it cost him like $40.00 to have them go thru it and return it to him. </div></div>

+1

American made, and repairable.
The way things should be.

FWIW lithium batteries can be stored longer with less chance of corrosion.

I sent my Kestrel to Nielsen Kellerman. The email I got said that my unit is unable to be repaired due to battery corrosion. I can trade it in for a replacement for $245.00 under their customer care program. So much for American made and repairable.

Battery acid is nasty stuff. I lost a Garmin GPS the same way after it fell out of my gear getting lost under my truck seat for a Florida summer. Sucks learning lessons the hard way.

I had that happen to a $400 dive light. Thought it had water in the housing but was full of acid and it was saved though.

This thread worries me just bought a kestrel wind meter today,I noticed it came with energizer batteries.
These batteries suck leaked in my maglite,so ditched the energizers and replaced with Duracell.

Hugh - trading messages with Kestel support - a few comments from them and from reading their web site.

First, it looks like you can load some SW on your computer to store the date offline from the unit:

"With the exception of New Gun, these can be removed/overwritten with the use of the Gun Loader software distributed by Horus Vision."

In answer to the question does the unit have non-volatile memory:

"correct, no power needed for the memory, if it was to get ran over by a trcuk, then yes it would be lost.
another great piece of information is that it comes pre-loaded with guns, and you can add several more."