• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Kestrel during shooting

308ftWIN

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2018
Anything against having a Kestrel in a vane mount behind the line feeding my phone updates as I'm on the firing line? Only thing I found remotely close was against having personal wind indicators past the firing line.

Not that I can't read the plentiful mirage at our range/know the wind downrange should be factored in as well, so much as just want to see how accurate my new toy is.

I'm not a serious competitor at this point. (500yd AR Tactical division) I acknowledge I'm already behind the field using Factory IMI 77gr and an FFP scope.

Just trying to test my gear and get better. Opportunities past 300yds aren't the most plentiful.

Thanks!

Last edited:
There are some on the market. Kestrel sells some tripod stand to keep it running in the wind. But it will not help you much. You need wind in the middle range at the most to make corrections. And it is mostly different than where you shoot from

I've actually thought about that myself. But, what if there is no shade, like kestrel recommends. Is it, still going to be as accurate.
As for your question though. I don't see a problem with that. I would think that is the best way to get real time data.

the wind at the firing line is potentially vastly different than down the line where there are bunkers and different terrain conditions that effect wind. I have never seen a wind device at an f class match

If you do it at a club match they may not care, do it in a match that counts and you’ll at least be warned if not DQd. (Severity directly related to your position on the aggregate). Airplane mode is assumed to disable external links, and it used to before airplanes got WiFi. (I think it still may but you can turn it back on).

3.22 Electronic Devices—Competitors are responsible to ensure that all electronic communications and audio devices in their possession forward of the ready line are silenced and communication disabled.
(a) During team matches only, team members may communicate with each other via communications devices. These communication devices must only be capable of communicating with other team members, and must not interfere with safety, range operations, or other competitors.
(b) Radars, chronographs and other devices designed to measure bullet velocity are prohibited on the line.
(c) Cell phones that have been rendered incapable from communicating (“airplane mode”) are permitted on the line and in the pits.