• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel: how to Deal with Different Bullets From Same Gun?

Buck Wilde

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
FL
Today my first rangefinder arrived. I got a Leica 2800.com, and I managed to pair it with my Kestrel 5700 Elite. I also rooted around in the Kestrel's link software.

I haven't used this Kestrel in the field yet, but I put a couple of gun profiles in it. One is for .17 HMR. I decided to check the bullet library, and right away, I was disappointed. Hornady 20-grain FMJ is not in it. Makes me wonder how useful the library is, given how few .17 HMR bullet choices there are.

Now, to my question. How do people deal with different bullets/ammunition in the same gun? It would be a pain to change everything every time you shoot a different bullet. Is the answer to create a different gun profile for each bullet?

The Kestrel will store 30 guns. I don't know if Kestrel Ballistics Link will let me store more in my phone. Trying to find out.

Today my first rangefinder arrived. I got a Leica 2800.com, and I managed to pair it with my Kestrel 5700 Elite. I also rooted around in the Kestrel's link software.

I haven't used this Kestrel in the field yet, but I put a couple of gun profiles in it. One is for .17 HMR. I decided to check the bullet library, and right away, I was disappointed. Hornady 20-grain FMJ is not in it. Makes me wonder how useful the library is, given how few .17 HMR bullet choices there are.

Now, to my question. How do people deal with different bullets/ammunition in the same gun? It would be a pain to change everything every time you shoot a different bullet. Is the answer to create a different gun profile for each bullet?

The Kestrel will store 30 guns. I don't know if Kestrel Ballistics Link will let me store more in my phone. Trying to find out.

Just use link to make new profile for each bullet. Takes only a min or two to make a profile.

Reactions: Holliday
Will the software allow me to have more than the 30 profiles the Kestrel accepts?