• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel + Link = worth it?

cfwii1979

Force Recon
Minuteman
Now i did search honestly. All i saw were old sales and ads. Is a kestrel or another brand a must have? The link feature sounds awesome. Mount yr phone on or near yr bench rest or use a tablet and youve got a helluva setup id say.
Again remember im a noob im sure im not the first to talk about this.

It's been a few years since I used the Kestral app on the phone, but circa 2019 the app was okay for real time wind speed updates. This is of course is with the Kestrel mounted in it's weather vane on a tripod. I eventually upgraded to get the Kestrel HUD and to me that was worth the added expense. My primary usage was PDog hunting in SD. They are quite small targets thus the real-time wind data was much appreciated.

I believe a more common usage of the Kestrel Link feature is pairing it to a LRF for target distance transfer to the Kestrel and then the Kestrel sending firing solution data back to the LRF. That was circa 2021 with my Bushnell Nitro1800. I'm not sure was is new/current in this area.

I found the old thread for reference:

Now i did search honestly. All i saw were old sales and ads. Is a kestrel or another brand a must have? The link feature sounds awesome. Mount yr phone on or near yr bench rest or use a tablet and youve got a helluva setup id say.
Again remember im a noob im sure im not the first to talk about this.
You are going to want the LiNK feature so you can access the bullet library. Without the LiNK feature you will have to hand input most bullet data or use the desktop software and a LiNK Cable. If you have the Bluetooth version then you have full access to the library on your phone. The Kestrel itself only stores 2 dozen standard bullets. All the others are stored in the server and accessed through the app.