• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel, moving targets.

Lunar95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2019
I'm making a leads cheat sheet and when calculating 3mph moving targets from 100 to 600 I got 1.76mils at 100 and 2mils at 600.

How can the lead be so drastic upfront but then at range change very little, I get distance isn't a huge factor for a zippy round, but 1.76 at 100 seems massive. What am i missing?

think of it in angles. now think about what those mil's represent at the target.

movers are tough. the angle a moving "target" is walking can throw those holds off as well.

you have to decide which of the two methods (lead, ambush) you're going to use for movers as well

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
All long range effects come down to time of flight. Whats the tof difference from 300y to 600y? Not very much

All long range effects come down to time of flight. Whats the tof difference from 300y to 600y? Not very much
Yeah that's kind of my point, I had alot more typed out but I felt like I was repeating myself, 300 to 600 is not alot, but 0 to 100 is less, why is the hold at 100 so much?

Last edited:
You are missing the fact that a mil is an angular measurement that increases with distance and not a fixed length of measurement.

100 yards- 1.76 mil = 6.3 inches
600 yards- 2 mil = 43.2 inches

The lead at 600 yards is ~ 7x greater than the lead at 100 yards, even though it’s only .25 more mils.

You are missing the fact that a mil is an angular measurement that increases with distance and not a fixed length of measurement.

100 yards- 1.76 mil = 6.3 inches
600 yards- 2 mil = 43.2 inches

The lead at 600 yards is ~ 7x greater than the lead at 100 yards, even though it’s only .25 more mils.
Thanks, guess I should have "shown my work" when saying think in angles and what they represent at the range to target

Yeah that's kind of my point, I had alot more typed out but u felt like I was repeating myself, 300 to 600 is not alot, but 0 to 100 is less, why is the hold at 100 so much?
Angular velocity. Its not moving faster but the mil value is taken up quicker. Rimfire movers at 50y seem like they are flying

Yeah that's kind of my point, I had alot more typed out but I felt like I was repeating myself, 300 to 600 is not alot, but 0 to 100 is less, why is the hold at 100 so much?

Because the mover has a fixed speed. The target is moving at a fixed speed of 4.4 feet per second.

Let's just use semi-random time of flight at 100yds of 0.11sec and 600yds of 0.75 sec. That's a difference of 0.64 seconds. So the target only 2.8 feet more at 600yds than 100yds.

With these two times of flight, the target moves 6" in 0.11 seconds and about 39" in 0.75 sec. Once you extrapolate that to mils, its going to be a very close amount of mils.

Reactions: Lunar95
The TLDR explanation:

The move is "using" a linear value and your optic/rifle/bullet is "using" an angular value.