• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel problem; impellar or unit problem

Alan Griffith

Sergeant
Minuteman
My Kestrel 2500 started having trouble a week back. Even during 8-12 mph wind it wasn't reading properly. I couldn't find my replacement impellars so had Kestrel send out a couple more. They arrived and when installed, I can't seem to "blow" it faster than 4, sometimes 5 mph. I found my backup impellars and it seems all 4 are the same so I'm thinking it might be the unit. Anyone able to "blow" their impellar's faster than 4-5 mph? If you can, then it must be my unit itself.

Alan

Re: Kestrel problem; impellar or unit problem

Get in the car and hold it out the window, see how it compares to the spedometer.

The specification on the Kestrel 4000 lists the maximum wind speed at 89 mph.

Surely a couple of minutes in a car at reasonable speed to check the functioning should not damage the unit.

Well, IMHO, it was the unit and here's what happened. I called Kestrel's CS and talked to BEN. Ben talked to their engineer. He had me take my unit, turn it on, toggle it to the wind mph section and then while holding the center button, toggle the right button until it read m/s (meter per second). He than had me locate several AC/DC powder converter boxes in my house. The first was my modem's. Nope! The second was the converter box for my new VIC123 elec scale I just got Friday. Yep! When I put the 2500 meter near the AC/DC power converter box, the numbers, that were 0.0, turned 3.5. That proved, to Ben, it was the impellar and not the unit. We then started to talk about the different impellar's (I have 5) I have and I inserted one of the brand new ones I received in the mail a few days ago. I then blew hard and it went to 26+ m/s. Bam! It now worked. IMHO, by placing the unit near the AC/DC power converter box it somehow magnitised or demagnitised something within the unit and it's now working like a charm.

So when the SH folks can't help, call the CS line
grin.gif

Alan

GSSP-

The impeller induces a current as it rotates on its axis so it needs to be aligned properly. If it happens again, make sure that the impeller is oriented such that the index mark on the impeller lines up with the index mark on the housing.

Regards,

IUD

IUD,

Yes, totally understood that before. Also, the new impellars don't have index marks. The new ones have a numbered sticker on them and it needs to be inserted first, front to back "and" with any one of the three spokes at the 12 o'clock pos.

Alan