• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel recommendations

ArsPoetica

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I'm finally starting to stretch my legs with my Ruger Precision 6.5 CM. I'm getting very consistent hits at 500yds almost always keeping it within 1 MOA. I do not yet have a weather device or applied ballistics calculator. I know Kestrel tends to be the gold standard, but I want to know if the "super fancy" models are really worth the cash. Specifically, I'm looking at the Ruger Kestrel 5700 (about $400) because it has so much data geared toward the RPR and its cartridges (among other Ruger rifles). Would I be best served by this model, or is the Kestrel 5700 ELITE worth the extra $250+? If it truly offers better calculations, accuracy, etc. I'm not shy about spending the extra money, but I'd rather save it if it only is a slight improvement or has 1 extra feature (like the iPhone upgrades...) I want something I can use for many years, so I want a good investment.

Any advice is appreciated!

On the off chance it matters, I'm shooting an RPR 6.5 CM Gen 3 1:8 RH twist. Glass is a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-36x56 (which I love, fyi). As often as possible I shoot Hornady Match ELD 120gr (seems to give me the best consistency) but I have above average results with S&B as well. And I nearly always shoot suppressed, Rugged 7.62 Razor.
RPR photo.jpg

Last edited:
I think the 5700 elite is worth every bit of the extra charge.
- Zero offsets
- 30 Gun profiles instead of 3
- Range Card
- Target Card
- AB Custom Curves
-10 stages with 10 targets per stage instead of one target

The additional profiles, range cards, and target cards are absolutely worth the extra cost for me. Most people will outgrow or change preferences in rifles, scopes, bipods, etc., but a Kestrel is about as close to a constant as you can get in this hobby.

I shoot all over the west with my Kestrel 5700 at matches from 1k to 2k and mine is spot-on. In real wind at that range, you cant just capture a reading and expect to hit center though. You need to take the reading, consider ground wind vs winds aloft, read the topography and consider its effects, and consider wind angle vectors. But as far as getting accurate data to start from, I have found mine to be perfect.

Reactions: ArsPoetica
If you are prior or current LEO or military join Expert Voice to get a discount. If you are neither you can take a class from Kestrel and get a 10% off coupon code. Plus the class is really good to start you on your journey. Good luck.

X2 on kestrel elite and taking a class to learn all its awesome features!

Off topic because inquiring minds need to know… why is your elevation turret set to 6.6 mils but parallax at 100?

Reactions: Secant
X2 on kestrel elite and taking a class to learn all its awesome features!

Off topic because inquiring minds need to know… why is your elevation turret set to 6.6 mils but parallax at 100?
I agree about the class. Kestrel regularly has free live webinars that go through the ins-and-outs of the kestrel. If you're not technologically inclined, those webinars can be helpful. They also put on wind reading seminars and other free informational webinars.

Did anyone mention taking the Kestrel class? I've taken several and used the coupon on my first Sportsman Kestrel to do the Elite upgrade. Well worth it and takes all the brain damage out of fumbling through the massive amounts of functionality with it in the field.

Emil's wind portion of the class is tops as well. Worth sitting through twice to digest his brain dump.

Don’t get hung up on the “Ruger” name on it. The elite is a far better long term investment. Even if it seems to have more features than you think you’ll use; you will grow into it and regret not having those features in the long run.

Simply the ability to have more than 3 gun profiles is worth it. Hell at any given time I have at least 2 for my hunting rifle, 2 for my match rifle and one for my .22

You can snag a 5700 Sportsman with Applied Ballistics for $350 from Bauer Precision, then upgrade to the elite software as you need the extra features covered above.

You can snag a 5700 Sportsman with Applied Ballistics for $350 from Bauer Precision, then upgrade to the elite software as you need the extra features covered above.
Unless something changed, upgrading the software won’t get you features like target cards, range cards, more profiles, etc. That might not matter to everyone though.

Firmware upgrade that can be installed on a Kestrel 5 Series Sportsman, converting it into a full Kestrel 5700 Elite model with its more advanced extreme long range features.

• Air/Wind Speed Impeller - User Replaceable
  • Aerodynamic Jump Correction
  • Applied Ballistics Custom Drag Models
  • Basic Ballistic Data Table
  • *Connect with LiNK Compatible Range Finders
  • Coriolis Correction
  • Create and store 10 Targets
  • Create and store up to 30 Gun/Bullet Profiles
  • G1/G7 Drag Models
  • Muzzle Velocity Calibration
  • MV-Temp Table
  • Range Card
  • Spin Drift Correction
  • Supports Mil, MOA, Clicks
  • Subsonic Range Drop Scale Factor Calibration
  • Standard and Night Vision Preserving Backlight
  • Target Range Estimator
  • Zero Offset

I dont know about what has or has not changed, only that from reading online stuff from Kestrel reps they have said it is functionally identical, just says "Sportsman" on the front instead of "Elite".

Entirely possible that I misunderstood in my own reading or my memory is just hopeful.

If you have no ballistics solver at all, ballistic ae can be on your smart phone for a few dollars. My first and only. You should have something like this in your phone and a range card can be developed from your dope. The kestral is incredible kit but if you are on property with a good range card, you can get by until you have the specific gear you want.

Unless something changed, upgrading the software won’t get you features like target cards, range cards, more profiles, etc. That might not matter to everyone though.
My first kestrel started life as a sportsman and upgraded to elite to have all features.
AFAIK, the 5700 hardware is the same across all models, Sportman, mfg branded, elite, elite x, etc.

I shoot all over the west with my Kestrel 5700 at matches from 1k to 2k and mine is spot-on. In real wind at that range, you cant just capture a reading and expect to hit center though. You need to take the reading, consider ground wind vs winds aloft, read the topography and consider its effects, and consider wind angle vectors. But as far as getting accurate data to start from, I have found mine to be perfect.
Did you do anything special to make sure its always spot on? IE: MV temp tables for all varying conditions or any other good tricks?

My first kestrel started life as a sportsman and upgraded to elite to have all features.
AFAIK, the 5700 hardware is the same across all models, Sportman, mfg branded, elite, elite x, etc.
Should also note, that said, the upgrade from Sportsman to Elite, requires the USB dongle OR sending it in to Kestrel to have them do the upgrade (free, you pay the shipping)
Software updates happen via bluetooth, but the software upgrade from Sportsman to Elite need the USB cable/Dongle.
I traded a buddy a 6 pack of beer to use his for a weekend.