• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel screen blacked out

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    Don't know where to ask this so I guessed here would be best.
    My old Kestrel 4500nv screen blanked out on me for a while today. It was out in 35* temps for a few hours & when I turned it back on after it timed out (15min) the screen wouldn't come on. When I got home I turned it on & it worked fine and battery still said 100%. Batteries were replaced weeks ago with Energizer lithium.
    Think it was the batteries or is something else wrong?
    Thanks.

Sure. ISS 4.18.
    I've had it for many trouble free years & used it in far colder temps near 0*F & this is the 1st time its done anything like this.

I recently changed from alcaline to Lithium batteries and when I first turned it on I got the black screen. I messed around with it for a long time and still black screen. I was getting ready to send it in and fiddled with it some more and it started working. Mine is a 4500nv also. So far it has continued to work.

This is the 2nd or 3rd set of lithium batteries I've used in it. It worked fine for 3 weeks of hunting on these batteries before yesterday. I've had other lithium batteries just die suddenly in the cold but they didn't show 100% after warming up.