• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel - Self performed repair?

Akhunter907

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2013
Anyone ever repaired a kestrel personally?? Hello, can't help but see the lots of kestrels being sold on Ebay. Some appear to power on, etc. Has anyone ever cracked of these open? Whats the internals look like?

I've done a bunch of IPhone repair, replacing screens, etc. And was one the front end of the game camera craze, so have hacked a bunch of digital cameras.

Thought is, if you can pick up a few/five for reasonable cost, you could swap a working screen for a broken one,,, and maybe cobble one or two together. That's if the internals lend themselves to it? and boards are not broken

Any feedback is appreciated. I currently run my Caldwell meter, so they upfront cost is not high on the list, but I keep my eyes open for good prices on used one too, just thought I'd ask

They are fairly straight forward component wise but the case halves are ultra sonic welded. Makes it nearly impossible to fix correctly.

That makes some sense, most likely why every post or issue with the Kestrels ends with sending it back to them. My guess is they crack the case to make the repair, and a new shell gets welded back on. I thought I saw some screws on the back of one, figured you could get at it with those

Last edited: