• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Sportsman Elite Upgrade vs Elite

Afkirby

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Mechanicsville, MD
What’s the difference between a 5700 Sportsman with the Elite upgrade ($400+$190=$590), and a factory Elite ($700)? The recent GAP deal has me curious.

Thanks

-Kirby

I just got a sportsman in the GAP deal. So far my research has determined that the only difference will be saving $110 and no “Elite” badge/sticker on the unit. You will also need to get the USB data cable to install the upgrade.

I’ve been playing around with it for a few days and will probably upgrade to Elite just for the additional profiles. The range card feature look like it’s a great feature too.

If there’s anything else I missed someone please let me know.

Reactions: Afkirby
The USB cable is $59. Once you upgrade the software you have an Elite, it is all software and badge difference between the two. What was the GAP deal?

The USB cable is $59. Once you upgrade the software you have an Elite, it is all software and badge difference between the two. What was the GAP deal?

GAP is bundling a sportsman with non-illuminated XRS2, DMR2, and DMR 2 Pro all at a good sale price, plus the Kestral.

Reactions: Afkirby
Do you need the usb cable for the upgrade even if the device has Link?

You need the USB cable or their Bluetooth dongle. I got the dingle on amazon for $23.
Thanks. How about the bluetooth dongle.. Isn't it just a normal usb bluetooth adapter? If I have bluetooth already, I guess I do not need it?

I’ll be upgrading my Sportsman this weekend solely for the multiple target and range card capability.

Did anyone else actually go through with the sportsman upgrade? Just wondering if it was worth it? Does it operate the same as an elite.. etc?
Mainly looking for after the update feedback

I've been considering the upgrade from the $399 unit. I'm assuming that is the Sportsman or maybe not. Anyway, I don't need a range card or unlimited rifle spots. Three does me fine. Other than that, what advantage is there to upgrading to the elite? I shot out to 1,000 this past weekend using the dope from mine and it was dead on. So is there really a benefit to justify the cost of the upgrade to the Elite?

I've been considering the upgrade from the $399 unit. I'm assuming that is the Sportsman or maybe not. Anyway, I don't need a range card or unlimited rifle spots. Three does me fine. Other than that, what advantage is there to upgrading to the elite? I shot out to 1,000 this past weekend using the dope from mine and it was dead on. So is there really a benefit to justify the cost of the upgrade to the Elite?
$399 is the 5700, the Sportsman was the earlier version of that meter. A sportsman becomes a 5700 as soon as you link it to the phone app and the firmware is upgraded to the new firmware, hardware is the same for both.

As for reasons to upgrade to an Elite, which is still the same hardware but more features in the firmware, the main reason would be to access the Applied Ballistic Custom Curves. Custom Curves are available through the app library and are radar tested bullets. Better than using G1 or G7. Additionally, the Elite allows you to True you meter to you rifle for transsonic distances with Drop Scale Factor if you were to try longer shots.

Reactions: chevy327
Thanks for your reply. I knew about the AB Custom Curves. 1,000 yards is usually max at our local matches, with some getting out to 1500 on one stage. The 5700 I currently use ($399) has been golden thus far, so I don't feel a need for the AB Custom Curves at the moment, but more than likely will in the future. 8 out of 10 on 12" steel plate in a local prone match at a grand works for me currently....lol. Wind call given to me from my current unit was dead nuts for the first 8 shots until the wind died on me. Thanks again for your response.

Camera Land NY currently has the 5700 Sportsman for $249!!!! then the $190 upgrade if you feel like you need it.
I ordered one this weekend and anxiously awaiting it to get here.

Dongle needs to be Bluetooth® low energy compliant.

Well now I’m really confused. I ordered the Sportsman and plan to upgrade to Elite and purchased the Kestrl Bluetooth adapter on Amazon, sold by Kestrel. But this is straight from Kestrel website...

“You can NOT connect your Kestrel 5000 series to your Mac/PC via bluetooth without this Kestrel LINK Dongle. Unfortunately, you can not just buy a regular LINK dongle as you might suspect on Amazon a computer site, they won't work... it MUST be the Kestrel LINK Dongle as sold here”

Yeah I just bought that one as well, but I already have a BTLE dongle and only purchased the Kestrel/Amazon version because of the quote above. Yet in his thread it says...

Dongle needs to be Bluetooth® low energy compliant.

So, can I save the $23 and use my own dongle?!?!

Isn’t it possible to send your sportsman to Kestrel and have them do the upgrade?

Many Bluetooth chips inside laptops support Bluetooth Low Energy (LE)

I have noticed that for Windows 7 the Bluetooth Low Energy drivers can be very hard if not impossible to get working. Maybe it does not support it so readily.

After upgrading to Windows 10 on the same computer the Low energy drivers are installed automatically if the chip inside supports it.

If you press Window key + R and type devmgmt.msc or open the device management other way, you can see at the top the Bluetooth devices and press it to show more. If there is found Bluetooth LE, the LE stands for Low Energy and you are good to go.

I was going to use some friend'/relative's laptop etc but I then swapped for Elite in the shop.

Managing the Kestrel is very easy on a cellphone, no need for the dongle after the upgrade.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm that any non-Kestrel Bluetooth LE dongle will work? If I can save $20 on a dongle I'll likely never use again I'd be fine with that.

Can anyone confirm that any non-Kestrel Bluetooth LE dongle will work? If I can save $20 on a dongle I'll likely never use again I'd be fine with that.

Unfortunately no, not any Bluetooth will work. You need the Bluegiga BLE112 dongle. You may be able to find this dongle elsewhere but it has to be this specific brand/model.

Yah and techsupport mentioned that they would even put an elite window lens on it in place of the sportsman window lens. My sportsman is up for a tuneup so this works out perfectly.

Yah and techsupport mentioned that they would even put an elite window lens on it in place of the sportsman window lens. My sportsman is up for a tuneup so this works out perfectly.

Ya know, for a total price of 205.68 shipped, I might just have them do the upgrade with the vanity plate.

Last edited:
Ya know, for a total price of 205.68 shipped, I might just have them do the upgrade with the vanity plate.

If you can wait the shipping times (most can at the moment) this is an easy decision.

Well now I’m really confused. I ordered the Sportsman and plan to upgrade to Elite and purchased the Kestrl Bluetooth adapter on Amazon, sold by Kestrel. But this is straight from Kestrel website...

“You can NOT connect your Kestrel 5000 series to your Mac/PC via bluetooth without this Kestrel LINK Dongle. Unfortunately, you can not just buy a regular LINK dongle as you might suspect on Amazon a computer site, they won't work... it MUST be the Kestrel LINK Dongle as sold here”

‘The confusion is that they use a BLE112 BT radio, which is unusual in pc devices. Any BLE112 dongle will work, but many usb Bluetooth dongles are not BLE112 compliant. Kestrel’s website likely doesn’t want to confuse the issue, and their safest bet is to supply you a known working part.

Reactions: DellaDog
So I have been looking at getting a Kestrel. What do you recommend as far as getting a sportman right now and upgrading later or just spend the money right now and getting the elite.

So I have been looking at getting a Kestrel. What do you recommend as far as getting a sportman right now and upgrading later or just spend the money right now and getting the elite.
The sportsman is very capable.
If you want the extra profiles and target card elite is nice.
DSF is nice if your shooting way out there and honestly the CDM’s are kinda meh.

The sportsman is very capable.
If you want the extra profiles and target card elite is nice.
DSF is nice if your shooting way out there and honestly the CDM’s are kinda meh.
Thanks for the info, This is my first year shooting PRS and currently using my buddies but he is getting ready to move so I’ll be on my own, that’s why I’m looking into this, as far as profiles go I guess I just need mine. I just see all the PRS shooter having the elite and that’s why I was curious.

Thanks for the info, This is my first year shooting PRS and currently using my buddies but he is getting ready to move so I’ll be on my own, that’s why I’m looking into this, as far as profiles go I guess I just need mine. I just see all the PRS shooter having the elite and that’s why I was curious.

Keep in mind “profiles” can mean the same rifle with different ammunition, a buddy’s rifle, etc. You can save profiles on the app and swap them around, but I did the upgrade almost entirely for the additional profiles. I do use the target card, and the custom profiles are a great star to figuring out your dope. Not a magic bullet, though.

Keep in mind “profiles” can mean the same rifle with different ammunition, a buddy’s rifle, etc. You can save profiles on the app and swap them around, but I did the upgrade almost entirely for the additional profiles. I do use the target card, and the custom profiles are a great star to figuring out your dope. Not a magic bullet, though.
Appreciate the advice.

Reactions: zenbike
I hoping someone can help me out by emailing me the Kestrel Link install file for PC? I just purchased the Elite upgrade, but I'm getting some weird error trying to download the Kestrel Link app from Kestrels site! "Error 503 Backend fetch failed". I've got the Kestrel bluetooth dongle on the way, but my windows laptop has no issues connecting to the Kestrel, so i may not need the dongle.

Thanks in advance!

I hoping someone can help me out by emailing me the Kestrel Link install file for PC? I just purchased the Elite upgrade, but I'm getting some weird error trying to download the Kestrel Link app from Kestrels site! "Error 503 Backend fetch failed". I've got the Kestrel bluetooth dongle on the way, but my windows laptop has no issues connecting to the Kestrel, so i may not need the dongle.

Thanks in advance!

Still had a copy in my downloads folder so zipped it up.

Attachments

• kestrel_link_setup_1.04.04a.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 52
Reactions: CDNsldr
I just ordered the dongle from Kestrel. I upgraded the Sportsman to Elite. Takes a while but no issues.
I have multiple loads for a couple guns and its nice to be able to store all of them in the Kestrel instead of constantly deleting and re loading the new info. The target card is pretty handy also. Saves having to scroll up to the different yardages. I'm glad I upgraded.