• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel sportsman to elite program

Cayjotiethumper

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2018
I have a Kestrel sportsman with applied and link. I need to be able to store more guns in the library and decided to sell it and move up to the elite. Then I saw you can just buy an update in programming to make it an elite for $199. Has anyone done this?

Reactions: zenbike
I also have a standard 5700 ( with LINK ) . My tablet has Bluetooth capability , so I assume when I need it , I can download it to my Kestrel that has LINK capability ?

I also have a standard 5700 ( with LINK ) . My tablet has Bluetooth capability , so I assume when I need it , I can download it to my Kestrel that has LINK capability ?

You must use a computer (not phone or tablet) to do the Elite upgrade. You must use the transfer cable or their bluetooth dongle for the upgrade as well. So, there is an additional fee above the $190 to upgrade (IIRC, $30 for the bluetooth and a bit more for the cable).

It's in their FAQ on the upgrade page:

https://kestrelinstruments.com/cata...pgrade-with-connection-accessory/category/54/

Reactions: TACC
Thanks Chris . Looks like I'll have to get another laptop . That's ok , I've been looking to get a new one anyway .

Last edited:
There are two different upgrades to the Elite software available, one is for the Sportsman model at $190 and the other is for the 5700 Ballistic model at $300. They had different initial selling prices and the additional upgrade fee for each equals the Elite selling price.

Reactions: Sheldon N
Looking to do the same and curious - but has anyone tried using the native Bluetooth on laptops (no USB dongle)? I'm curious how their 23$ dongle on Amazon differs from traditional Bluetooth.

Looking to do the same and curious - but has anyone tried using the native Bluetooth on laptops (no USB dongle)? I'm curious how their 23$ dongle on Amazon differs from traditional Bluetooth.
Different blue tooth protocol. Get the cable. Then you can use the profile loader and do the updates.

Reactions: pkt1199
Just ordered the upgrade and the cable

See what happens

Per NK, the Kestrel uses a Bluetooth BL112 radio, which is not common in the average personal computer. The common BLE standard in your computer is unlikely to find your Kestrel to communicate. If it does find it, and connect, then you have a BLE112 radio in your device.

Reactions: pkt1199
Upgraded my 5700 Sportsman last night took less than 30 minutes works great. If you have any profiles already built right the info down the upgrade wipes the gun profiles out.

Reactions: zenbike
I have a like new 5700 ballistic and just received my 5700 DOF. I have not used the hornady program. Debating on selling both and getting an elite or keeping one and selling the other