• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Sportsman with Link

AK74U

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2021
Atlanta
Was bidding on a used Kestrel 5700 Elite and lost on eBay. $455 before tax and shipping was the winning bid. Didn't frown, but was sad. But found this vendor in Canada selling Kestrel Sportsman Link models with soft case and vane mount for $339 with free shipping. Price with GA sales tax was $366. Units are contract overrun and are new old stock. Will send in to Kestrel to do the Elite upgrade and get the screen cover swapped to Elite Ballistics. Was going to grab an Elite with Link from Grab A Gun for $549, but the free soft case and vane mount makes sense for me. 12 units left as of this posting.
Here is a link if anyone is interested. Thanks Hide family!

Reactions: Hkmiller
I doubt it comes with the dongle. So no point of buying a one time cable. While shipping to them, I want them to look the unit over before sending it back. That wouldn't hurt either. The name plate would be accurate of what the unit is.

Why send to kestrel? You can do the upgrade yourself. Who cares what the bezel says

I doubt it comes with the dongle. So no point of buying a one time cable. While shipping to them, I want them to look the unit over before sending it back. That wouldn't hurt either. The name plate would be accurate of what the unit is.
Tha cable is a worthy investment if you ever plan on using the free AB profile loader or updating firmware via pc.

Say what? You don't load the profiles through the APP via bluetooth cellphone? Doesn't the updates work that was also? I think that's what Panhandle Precision video on YouTube if I remember correctly. I'll look into that, thanks.

Tha cable is a worthy investment if you ever plan on using the free AB profile loader or updating firmware via pc.

Say what? You don't load the profiles through the APP via bluetooth cellphone? Doesn't the updates work that was also? I think that's what Panhandle Precision video on YouTube if I remember correctly. I'll look into that, thanks.
Yes you can do it that way. The cable is faster and the profile loader via PC is much much more intuitive.

just one mans opinion.

Ok. Thanks. The Kestrel dongle on Amazon it's $29. Will keep eye open for other options

Yes you can do it that way. The cable is faster and the profile loader via PC is much much more intuitive.

just one mans opinion.

USB cable on Amazon and Kestrel is $60. Looks like I'll have to spend more.

Was bidding on a used Kestrel 5700 Elite and lost on eBay. $455 before tax and shipping was the winning bid. Didn't frown, but was sad. But found this vendor in Canada selling Kestrel Sportsman Link models with soft case and vane mount for $339 with free shipping. Price with GA sales tax was $366. Units are contract overrun and are new old stock. Will send in to Kestrel to do the Elite upgrade and get the screen cover swapped to Elite Ballistics. Was going to grab an Elite with Link from Grab A Gun for $549, but the free soft case and vane mount makes sense for me. 12 units left as of this posting.
Here is a link if anyone is interested. Thanks Hide family!

This looks like a good deal so the way I read it for a software update you can convert it to an Elite, is that correct?

Reactions: AK74U
That's correct. The Sportsman to Elite upgrade is $190. $366+190=$556 for an upgraded 5700 Elite isn't bad for me. If you're in a state that doesn't charge online sales tax, save more.

This looks like a good deal so the way I read it for a software update you can convert it to an Elite, is that correct?

That's correct. The Sportsman to Elite upgrade is $190. $366+190=$556 for an upgraded 5700 Elite isn't bad for me. If you're in a state that doesn't charge online sales tax, save more.
So unless you're shooting Beyond 800 yd you really don't need the elite is that how I understand it?

So unless you're shooting Beyond 800 yd you really don't need the elite is that how I understand it?
Custom drag models, zero height/zero offset (important for cans or multiple cartridges in one gun with one zero), DSF (very important for ELR and .22's or anything that is difficult to true otherwise), more profiles, range card, target card, target card within the link app, more table data.

I would get the Elite with the whole package. I believe in rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I bought an overrun sportsman a while back from a vendor here.

I bought the dongle for the update to elite.

The sportsman will easily get you further accurately than that.
It works perfectly out to 2000+ yards with my 7mm

It just doesn’t have the multiple curve for transonic/subsonic that elite does.

Reactions: Hkmiller and AK74U
Probably @gr8fuldoug from CameraLand NY. I wish I could've snagged that deal. How has the dongle worked for you?

I bought an overrun sportsman a while back from a vendor here.

I bought the dongle for the update to elite.

The sportsman will easily get you further accurately than that.
It works perfectly out to 2000+ yards with my 7mm

It just doesn’t have the multiple curve for transonic/subsonic that elite does.

This is the route that I took. Saved a couple bucks. Grabbed my Sportsman from Doug at camera land.
I borrowed a dongle from a buddy local to me and returned it with a 6 pack of hydraulic pudding after doing the Elite upgrade. You can also send it to NK/Kestrel and they'll do the upgrade for you.

If you don't like the "Sportsman" badge, you can send it to NK and they'll swap it for 25ish bucks iirc.

I wish I was here when they had them at that low price. Still didn't do bad myself for the price I paid. Should be here Monday. Still 12 left. Makes me want to buy another one.

Hydraulic pudding?

This is the route that I took. Saved a couple bucks. Grabbed my Sportsman from Doug at camera land.
I borrowed a dongle from a buddy local to me and returned it with a 6 pack of hydraulic pudding after doing the Elite upgrade. You can also send it to NK/Kestrel and they'll do the upgrade for you.

If you don't like the "Sportsman" badge, you can send it to NK and they'll swap it for 25ish bucks iirc.

Pics.

Attachments

• 16378378641457275822318612210771.jpg
    16378378641457275822318612210771.jpg
    802.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 16378379056898678200220646502425.jpg
    16378379056898678200220646502425.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 54
If you want a superior Wind Vane that can use the Kestrel bracket check out the one from 25xWindflags:

Sadly the price on them has gotten high like everything else, but they are way more sensitive even with the shorter vane length.

Everything goes up but the paycheck. Will check it out. Thanks.

If you want a superior Wind Vane that can use the Kestrel bracket check out the one from 25xWindflags:

Sadly the price on them has gotten high like everything else, but they are way more sensitive even with the shorter vane length.

Meter came Monday evening. As described with all accoutrements.
I ordered one yesterday. Should have next week. The more I researched, this is a super deal. If you do the elite upgrade download, you have an elite for $170.00 less.

I like the cable.

Forget exactly why but it gave me more features.

I bought one of the Sportsmen models and upgraded via cable.

Don't change the glass run it stealth with people thinking you are a poor.

• Haha
Reactions: Hkmiller and AK74U

Bluetooth can take forever, cable gives you speed.

Going by the packaging and price im sure it’s gtg. I bought one. No brainer to me, since I was planning on getting the normal 5700 anyway. This will give me a cheaper upgrade path.

Thanks for the info :)
I haven't had $190 to do upgrade. Will call Kestrel today to confirm that.

• Love

The Tyr Tactical pouch is miles better than that chinese crap bag the Kestrel comes with....

Guessing kestrel is trying to meet a price point and figures people will pouch in whatever manner suits them but The Tyr option is legit and should be included while telling china they can keep their viral loads at home.

Just spoke with Frank from Kestrel, supplied him my serial number. Gave me the birthdate if my new child. October 2015. Obviously, warranty is over with. Told me if I wanted to send it in for an inspection, $75. Will go through the unit and replace faulty/broken parts. Says he would recommend if it's a new old stock unit to put it through its paces and see if it needs the inspection. Otherwise, wouldn't bother sending it in.

Serial number checked out when you went to get the upgrade package from kestrel?

Last edited:
Reactions: abalducci94
Did you upgrade to 5700? Or you're still using the Sportsman?

I received mine last week. What a great deal. I never thought I would appreciate what this kestrel can do. I will eventually update it to the Elite.