• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel temp table

03machstock

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
I searched and didn’t find exactly what I was looking for, but not sure my thinking is correct. If I wanted to fill out a temp table for my kestrel, would it be ok to, or even more accurate to, true my mv at 600 yards with dope in each different temp, and use the muzzle velocity the kestrel spits out as my input into the temp table. Or, use numbers from a chrono and temp from the kestrel for the inputs? In my mind I would want to use the kestrel trued MV as the input since it would be “speaking the same language” as the kestrel vs some arbitrary number from a chrono, but I’m a novice when it comes to this.
Thanks

In that case either method would work? I currently don’t have a chrono I trust, I get crazy readings at times.
Method 1 - If you don't have a reliable chronograph, make sure your MV-Temp is off, use CAL MV to obtain calibrated muzzle velocity (follow the process). Record that and temperature and build table. Repeat process at different temperatures. Make sure you turn MV-Temp back on once your table is complete. CAL MV will "compensate" for scope tracking errors.

Method 2 - If you have a reliable chronograph or can borrow one, use chrono numbers and temperatures from the Kestrel to build the temp table. In order to ensure that your holdover values are correct at distance, your scope tracking has to be precise or you have done a tall target test to calculate the "Sight scale factor." If you don't adjust for elevation tracking issues (Elv SSF), you may be lead to believe that the muzzle velocities are incorrect when it's actually a scope issue.

Reactions: 03machstock
I searched and didn’t find exactly what I was looking for, but not sure my thinking is correct. If I wanted to fill out a temp table for my kestrel, would it be ok to, or even more accurate to, true my mv at 600 yards with dope in each different temp, and use the muzzle velocity the kestrel spits out as my input into the temp table. Or, use numbers from a chrono and temp from the kestrel for the inputs? In my mind I would want to use the kestrel trued MV as the input since it would be “speaking the same language” as the kestrel vs some arbitrary number from a chrono, but I’m a novice when it comes to this.
Thanks
This depends entirely on what you are shooting but 600 yards would be too close for say a 300 win mag, or .264 etc. Their is nothing wrong with using this method (although you should not activate the table until you have at least 3 entries that are 25 deg F apart). If you choose to go this way you should be calculating your MV at Mach 1.2 +/-. This could be 1000 yards for some rifles, and 75 yards (22LR) for others. But this is going to give you better accuracy. The margin of error on say a .284 magnum would be far too high at 600 yards.

Reactions: 03machstock