• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ohhowtheturntables

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2023
tn
Hello everyone, so I have been shooting a good while now at somewhat long range (all under 1k wanting to go further), and have always used the hornady app and other apps to get my data as well as field test. I've been debating on getting the kestrel 5700 elite but with the way hornady keeps improving there apps is it really worth it? If so why? Any info would be great thanks.

Hello everyone, so I have been shooting a good while now at somewhat long range (all under 1k wanting to go further), and have always used the hornady app and other apps to get my data as well as field test. I've been debating on getting the kestrel 5700 elite but with the way hornady keeps improving there apps is it really worth it? If so why? Any info would be great thanks.
Well the elite works with the Hornady so you get to have AB and Hornady 🤷‍♂️

Have you considered the Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4 DOF ballistic calculator?

Reactions: ohhowtheturntables
The kestrel is a stand alone unit. Just keep in mind if you feel you need that benefit, then it negates the “which app is better” conversation.

Second to that I’m going to assume... since this is a solver comparison that by kestrel, you specifically mean the AB elite...

Reactions: ohhowtheturntables
Have you considered the Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4 DOF ballistic calculator
Thanks for all the responses everyone, and yes I have considered it. I was just wondering as to whats the point in having a kestrel if the hornady 4dof gets me the same result. I have compared the results to a few kestrels with AB and get the same results out to 1200 easily. Was just wondering if its worth dropping 700 for it because I can always just erase an old iPhone put the app on there, a good case, and turn off data.

I really like the UI of the Hornady App but I've had better luck running the Kestrel. For matches I have it bluetoothed to sig 10k binos and it just loads the targets as I range them. Pretty mint. I've also experienced the Hornady crashes and it seems to have errors if trying to use metric.

I really like the UI of the Hornady App but I've had better luck running the Kestrel. For matches I have it bluetoothed to sig 10k binos and it just loads the targets as I range them. Pretty mint. I've also experienced the Hornady crashes and it seems to have errors if trying to use metric.
Do you ever get any lag or connectivity problems? Was reading forums where some would complain about it.

Do you ever get any lag or connectivity problems? Was reading forums where some would complain about it.
it's not lightning fast but quick enough for any practical application. I have the 5700X Elite which has adjustable bluetooth. I did have some connectivity problems. The bluetooth was preset to 3, I turned it up to 5 and didn't have anymore issues.
Not sure how that compares to the regular Elite.

The Kestrel isn’t what it once was… an ~$80 WeatherFLOW Weathermeter with $12 Strelok Pro makes them look pretty dang obsolete, and buying one now might mean you’re buying an $800-1000 paper-weight.

The Hornady App is crash city IME too.

The Kestrel isn’t what it once was… an ~$80 WeatherFLOW Weathermeter with $12 Strelok Pro makes them look pretty dang obsolete, and buying one now might mean you’re buying an $800-1000 paper-weight.

The Hornady App is crash city IME too.
I used Strelok and I did really like it, never linked it to weatherflow. I have tried to link the Hornady to a weatherflow and it works for the enviro's but for wind it's very slow to respond.

Kestrel's wont be "obsolete" but they may be improved upon. the main thing would be if there was an easier way to enter the distance instead of having to scroll. Honestly they will likely come out with something soon based solely on the fact that I just bought their most expensive model lol.

I used Strelok and I did really like it, never linked it to weatherflow. I have tried to link the Hornady to a weatherflow and it works for the enviro's but for wind it's very slow to respond.

Kestrel's wont be "obsolete" but they may be improved upon. the main thing would be if there was an easier way to enter the distance instead of having to scroll. Honestly they will likely come out with something soon based solely on the fact that I just bought their most expensive model lol.

The Kestrels may not necessarily be obsolete just yet, but their value proposition has changed quite a lot and is pretty poor these days... paying even half what they're asking for the painfully old tech they're offering is hard to stomach.

The Kestrel user interface is trash by today's standards, and IMO it makes much more sense to utilize the computers we all carry around in our pockets 24/7 (smartphones) with an App and something like a Weatherflow.

Most hardcore/expert Kestrel users, pros like Morgun King for example, still end up using their phones for most of the heavy lifting anyways... that should tell us all something I think (and hopefully Kestrel HQ too).

I have both and I prefer the Hornady App. The user interface is infinitely more intuitive and friendly in my opinion. I still keep the 5700 elite on my and use it for environmental and once in awhile check it against the app.

I haven't had issues with the Hornady App crashing.

By any chance are you using metric units?
Interstingly I now had it working, but was forced to download the app again and log in on a new phone and with the previously working rifle profile it is now unusable. It seems if you get signed out you will have to rebuild the rifle profiles. Hope they fix this as is looks good when it works.

The Kestrels may not necessarily be obsolete just yet, but their value proposition has changed quite a lot and is pretty poor these days... paying even half what they're asking for the painfully old tech they're offering is hard to stomach.

The Kestrel user interface is trash by today's standards, and IMO it makes much more sense to utilize the computers we all carry around in our pockets 24/7 (smartphones) with an App and something like a Weatherflow.

Most hardcore/expert Kestrel users, pros like Morgun King for example, still end up using their phones for most of the heavy lifting anyways... that should tell us all something I think (and hopefully Kestrel HQ too).
Do you think hornady will come ut with their own kestral?

I ended up flipping over to my Kestrel with AB at the Punisher last weekend. Trying to keep up with a switchy head wind on the Hornady app was a pain in the but.

The Hornady Crashes consistantly (iphone). Reported bug with specifics to reproduce, but no fix and it has been a good while.
Never had a crash. I have been an iPhone guy after deserting Blackberry lol
No idea why it hasn’t crashed, just no issues at all

I have had zero crashes w 4DOF on an iPhone.

I do have a kestrel link w 4DOF but like the app interface much better.

I am able to get enviro from the kestrel to auto load into the app on my phone except wind. Can’t get it to work and IMO Kestrel’s manual sucks.

Next is watching Hornady YT vids and reading a few hundred posts in the Kestrel 4DOF thread to see if I can find a solution.

People who make tech products tend to think of manuals as an after thought and if they define what the variables mean then all is good because the need for work flow instructions just doesn’t occur to these pin heads.

I have all the phone apps and I will stick to my Kestrel for a couple of reasons. It is weatherproof, unlike my iPhone. The first time you drop your iPhone in a muddy puddle will make you think. It doesn't overheat like my iPhone when left out on a mat in the bright sun. The Kestrel app on the iPhone makes loading and modifying rifle and bullet profiles a snap so the on-board UI is not much of a problem. When you use the Kestrel, the UI is quite easy. If you don't, I agree that it can be difficult to navigate. It also works quite well with night vision, unlike the iPhone. Battery life isn't a problem for the Kestrel either, unlike an iPhone.

Most of all, I like a single-unit solution that can do everything versus a paired wind meter/iPhone combination.

YMMV

Never had a crash. I have been an iPhone guy after deserting Blackberry lol
No idea why it hasn’t crashed, just no issues at all
It seems related to certain metric settings and changes to barometric pressure units etc. With default settings it seems to work fine.

I have all the phone apps and I will stick to my Kestrel for a couple of reasons. It is weatherproof, unlike my iPhone. The first time you drop your iPhone in a muddy puddle will make you think. It doesn't overheat like my iPhone when left out on a mat in the bright sun. The Kestrel app on the iPhone makes loading and modifying rifle and bullet profiles a snap so the on-board UI is not much of a problem. When you use the Kestrel, the UI is quite easy. If you don't, I agree that it can be difficult to navigate. It also works quite well with night vision, unlike the iPhone. Battery life isn't a problem for the Kestrel either, unlike an iPhone.

Most of all, I like a single-unit solution that can do everything versus a paired wind meter/iPhone combination.

YMMV
Honestly biggest problem I have with kestrel is scrolling target distance takes ages. The rest of it is manageable if you can remember how to get to all the settings which is easier the more frequently you use it.

To combat scrolling distances I picked up a set of SIG 10k's and link them to the kestrel, it worked beautifully at NF steel challenge.

After having both and have used the kestrel elite for a good bit now both PRS and NRL 22 I can say it is pretty game changer, its durability and battery life are great and the range card is real simple. I like the apps ease of use but for everything else and accuarcy and detail the kestrel gives you as a shooter is game changing. I think if your a hunter and shoot long for fun the hornady is perfect but if you do any competition then the kestrel is the way to go. But the hornady app is great for the price... free.

Reactions: Bbracken667
It’s been awhile, and I gave both 4DOF and the 5700 Elite another chance…

…and I guess the Hornady App is ok, still can’t stand the Kestrel, neither can touch Strelok Pro.

I could get through a match using 4DOF + a WeatherFLOW if I had to, but I wouldn’t even bother with the Kestrel, I had forgotten how much time fucking with that stupid little screen takes and am not willing to give up all that time when I could be on glass…

But, until either can do this they are out for me:

IMG_1933.jpeg

I've got both the Hornady 4dof app and the 5700 with 4dof. For most of the match I can get by with my iphone. However, if the battery dies, drops, or overheats, I know I can rely on the Kestrel.

It’s been awhile, and I gave both 4DOF and the 5700 Elite another chance…

…and I guess the Hornady App is ok, still can’t stand the Kestrel, neither can touch Strelok Pro.

I could get through a match using 4DOF + a WeatherFLOW if I had to, but I wouldn’t even bother with the Kestrel, I had forgotten how much time fucking with that stupid little screen takes and am not willing to give up all that time when I could be on glass…

But, until either can do this they are out for me:

View attachment 8231219
Ok. Where can I get that arm band setup.? I'm a strelock pro guy too. NICE

It does link but it works medium. It’s ok for enviros but almost useless for wind. I’d save ur money and buy a kestrel.
The one that has the kestrel-like wind fan thingy, doesn’t measure wind well ?
What do you mean by ok for enviros?
There are several models.

My WeatherFLOW works great for wind… but I actually had to send one back due to its temperature always reading too hot and it chewing through batteries unnaturally, so they’re not perfect… though, my current one has been flawless for a while now.

@stanley_white is correct about carrying a waterproof pouch for one’s phone… I had to DNF once due to my iPhone being killed on a very rainy day 1 of a 2 day. No bueno having no connection to one’s life along with no ballistics solver, matches aren’t usually right next to a Verizon store lol.

My WeatherFLOW works great for wind… but I actually had to send one back due to its temperature always reading too hot and it chewing through batteries unnaturally, so they’re not perfect… though, my current one has been flawless for a while now.

@stanley_white is correct about carrying a waterproof pouch for one’s phone… I had to DNF once due to my iPhone being killed on a very rainy day 1 of a 2 day. No bueno having no connection to one’s life along with no ballistics solver, matches aren’t usually right next to a Verizon store lol.
Which WeatherFlow model do you use? On Weatherflow's website they list 4 different models...

I have this one:

I believe the blue one is the same thing now…. The FDE one used to have its own internal compass, but I think they did away with it because nobody really used it on a vane mount.

FWIW, I always enter my wind direction manually, the WeatherFLOW just tells me the speed and the environmental stuff.

I have this one:

I believe the blue one is the same thing now…. The FDE one used to have its own internal compass, but I think they did away with it because nobody really used it on a vane mount.

FWIW, I always enter my wind direction manually, the WeatherFLOW just tells me the speed and the environmental stuff.
I keep a commenga compass on me at all times out in the woods and in my pack

I contacted WeatherFlow about their Tactical Weather meter and this is their response below...

"Thanks for getting in touch with us. Our Precision Shooting WEATHERmeter does work with the Hornady ballistics app on Samsung/Android smartphones. I'm not familiar with Samsung Galaxy weather functions but it likely wouldn't work with that."

The one that has the kestrel-like wind fan thingy, doesn’t measure wind well ?
What do you mean by ok for enviros?
There are several models.
It's fine for measuring temp and such but there seemed to be connectivity issues with the app.
When measuring wind the communication to the app is slow so if there is a gust or let off it doesn't measure it well.

Some members have mentioned that using ballistics apps and Bluetooth on smartphones uses a lot of battery. Have any of you thought about a portable power charger to plug your phone into out in the field? Their small and some are as cheap as $30 to $60 bucks on Amazon.

Last edited:
Some members have mentioned that using ballistics apps and Bluetooth on smartphones uses a lot of battery. Have any of you thought about a portable power charger to plug your phone into out in the field? Their small and some are as cheap as $30 to $60 bucks on Amazon.
I keep one with me at all times. Has enough juice for 4 full recharges. I wouldn’t leave home without it lol

I keep one with me at all times. Has enough juice for 4 full recharges. I wouldn’t leave home without it lol
I've never used one. Can you leave your phone plugged into the power charger while you're using the ballistics app out in the field and the battery doesn't run down as quickly?

I've never used one. Can you leave your phone plugged into the power charger while you're using the ballistics app out in the field and the battery doesn't run down as quickly?
Sure. Just check your phones temp to the touch. I have never had a problem with my phone overheating but you may have a different phone/battery bank and results may vary.
I would suggest a 20 or 30k maH battery bank. Amazon has them for like 30 bucks or so. Maybe get 2 if you will be out in the wild for days. Disconnect after fully charged.