• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel weather gauges

F4 plt

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
I have a Kestrel model 5500 and while it serves the purpose well, I have come to see that their customer service is basically non existent . I have sent them an email regarding the fact that their listed phone will disconnect you every time. A computer will answer and offer several options but whichever one you choose makes no difference as you will be disconnected . This has gone on for several days …… are they still in business? Becomes the question

They are still very much in business, just had the screen replaced on a 5700.
I do not have any info for you on phone system issues though.

They have several official threads pinned in this sub-forum:

Their website does try to direct you to use the online chat feature or the form for repair requests.
If it is a usability issue/question, try in one of the threads in the link above.

I’m currently trying to figure out which one to buy. I occasionally shoot PRS but most there barely use it but I plan to go to a lot more matches next year. I hunt and shoot ELR for fun with a couple friends but they just buy the best of everything using the cry once motto. Not sure I need the best, I use Strelok pro on my phone for ballistics mainly so idk if I should buy a ballistic kestrel or not.

Anyone have tips on what is really needed?

I’m currently trying to figure out which one to buy. I occasionally shoot PRS but most there barely use it but I plan to go to a lot more matches next year. I hunt and shoot ELR for fun with a couple friends but they just buy the best of everything using the cry once motto. Not sure I need the best, I use Strelok pro on my phone for ballistics mainly so idk if I should buy a ballistic kestrel or not.

My advice is get the ballistic model. This is simply for redundancy. If your phone dies and StrelokPro is now useless you have a full solver in the kestrel

5700 Elite

ive never personally used 4DOF so i cant speak to it.
I’ve been watching YouTube videos on it but it really doesn’t seem to be better but I hope someone chimes in who has one. That’s what I was looking at but I’m really not sure what to buy.

I’ve been watching YouTube videos on it but it really doesn’t seem to be better but I hope someone chimes in who has one. That’s what I was looking at but I’m really not sure what to buy.
I mean 4DOF is free. Buy the elite with AB. Then you can run 4DOF and StrelokPro on the phone and have AB as a triple redundant backup. From what I gather 4DOF is great for Hornady stuff but not so great for everything else. YMMV.

I mean 4DOF is free. Buy the elite with AB. Then you can run 4DOF and StrelokPro on the phone and have AB as a triple redundant backup. From what I gather 4DOF is great for Hornady stuff but not so great for everything else. YMMV.
Ahh good point, It just seemed like the best option for the price but that’s a good idea to have a backup just incase

The point of my post is that they ha e a phone number that allows you to select various options such as sales, customer service, tech support etc. however whichever you select you are then disconnected with the message “called failed “ I have also emailed them with no response . If they don’t want phone calls why list a number and offer options … just my .02 cents worth . That said I like the 5500

I occasionally shoot PRS but most there barely use it but I plan to go to a lot more matches next year.

wait, what? Every 2 day PRS match and 1 day club level match I’ve been a part of has the vast majority of competitors hunkered over kestrels at each new stage like teenage girls on the beach with iphones. Like super, super noticeable use of the kestrel by nearly everyone.

wait, what? Every 2 day PRS match and 1 day club level match I’ve been a part of has the vast majority of competitors hunkered over kestrels at each new stage like teenage girls on the beach with iphones. Like super, super noticeable use of the kestrel by nearly everyone.
Yeah I thought I’d see the same but pretty much each different area had a kestrel on a stand with the weather vein option so they just asked for a wind call and then shot. I was kinda surprised to be honest and thought I’d have a hard time with out one but I just followed what the rest did. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m still going to buy one just to have but most really didn’t seem to interested in them.

That’s funny, I’ve seen a weather vane setup maybe twice in the last 5 matches.

I tried several free apps with no luck. Never tried Strelok but heard good things about it. I’ve heard of a couple others that are pretty good. I ended up getting the kestrel 5700 elite. Love the functionality and additional calibrations you can do. It was pricey but oh well, the apps left me so frustrated that I didn’t want to even give strelok a try.

I tried several free apps with no luck. Never tried Strelok but heard good things about it. I’ve heard of a couple others that are pretty good. I ended up getting the kestrel 5700 elite. Love the functionality and additional calibrations you can do. It was pricey but oh well, the apps left me so frustrated that I didn’t want to even give strelok a try.
I use Strelok Pro, it works well for me and has almost everything, it’s my go to app.

Reactions: Bgriff008
Strelok Pro has worked so well for me I can't justify the money for a Kestrel just to add a built in wind meter. The Kestrel is really nice but I think Strelok Pro is $8 and WeatherFlow wind meter for $80 is hard to beat. I hardly use the wind meter except to practice my wind estimation so all I really use is the Strelok Pro and generally pull weather using Strelok's link to local weather and use 10mph as my wind and adjust using the 'value of 10 mph' system and my own wind calls.

Reactions: Bgriff008
Strelok Pro has worked so well for me I can't justify the money for a Kestrel just to add a built in wind meter. The Kestrel is really nice but I think Strelok Pro is $8 and WeatherFlow wind meter for $80 is hard to beat. I hardly use the wind meter except to practice my wind estimation so all I really use is the Strelok Pro and generally pull weather using Strelok's link to local weather and use 10mph as my wind and adjust using the 'value of 10 mph' system and my own wind calls.
Yeah I’m really kinda thinking of just buying a basic kestrel meter and I’ll keep using Strelok Pro. I’m not sure I’d even use the ballistics in the kestrel since I’m so use to using Strelok pro with the built in range card that I have all setup. It’s not like I go out for days at a time either so I highly doubt I’ll ever kill my phone battery.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Lol. I won’t bring myself to try the strelok now of course. I’d be sad to find out it works after paying the money for the kestrel. Lol. I’m just happy to have something that works. As for phone battery life. I did notice free apps did a number on my battery life. So that’s a bonus having the kestrel.

Lol. I won’t bring myself to try the strelok now of course. I’d be sad to find out it works after paying the money for the kestrel. Lol. I’m just happy to have something that works.
Is good to have both (and hard copy data as well). I use Strelok Pro for convenience (and several other apps as needed). I've also had phones become unusable due to heat, the Kestrel still worked.

I have a Kestrel model 5500 and while it serves the purpose well, I have come to see that their customer service is basically non existent . I have sent them an email regarding the fact that their listed phone will disconnect you every time. A computer will answer and offer several options but whichever one you choose makes no difference as you will be disconnected . This has gone on for several days …… are they still in business? Becomes the question
Kestrel is one of the best customer service experiences I have had. Not sure what is going on with the phone system. They are awesome folks that really go the extra mile in my experience. They have a thread going here on the Hide so you might try that......

Reactions: Army First