• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

kestrel weather meters and balistic calculators

VAN1LLA G0R1LLA

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
After talking with another hide member tonight I got to thinking I might want to pick up a kestrel weather meter but I am not sure what one
can anyone recommend one for me I am looking at the 2500 and the 3000 right now but I am not sure what features I will need
Also I am thinking about picking up a PDA and putting a balistic calculator softwear on it but I know nothing about PDAs or balistic calculator softwear if anyone could also recommend a PDA and softwear that would be appreciated too
Thanks

Re: kestrel weather meters and balistic calculators

There was a huge thread not long ago about the kestrel and hourus combo. You may want to search and give that a read before deciding. There are also several old threads about software. Lots of people people like FFS, but there are a few others out there too.
Good luck.

Don't get the Kestrel 2500, 3000 or 3500. Get either the 4000 or 4500. They both have density altitude which makes ballistic tables (and input) a lot easier. I used to mess with altitude, pressure, humidity and temp inputs - now I simply use one, density altitude. Simple = Good, in my book. I ended up spending a few dollars more for the 4500NV. That way I figured I had everything and wouldn't wish 6 months later that I should have bought something with more readings (if I had bought the 4000).

One of the Kestrel models has a ballistic calculator (the 4500 with Horus). But it's $300 more - too rich for my blood.

Whatever ballistic software you go with, make sure it accepts density altitude input. I recently switched to an app called "Shooter" on my iPhone. There's a thread on it in the "Range Report and Exterior Ballistics" section of this forum.

+1 to Nimzoblanca on the "Shooter" software for the iPhone. It is great.

Now I am just looking for a Kestrel to compliment the ballistics software. Good luck!!

I got my 4500NV on Egay, brand new for just over $200. Deals can be found out there.

Does anyone know if the ones with bluetooth will link up to Apps like shooter? Or do you have to manually input the data? I have been looking at either a 4000 or 4500 but didnt know if the bluetooth would actually work with them.

I just got a 4500 with horus ballistic calculator and its pretty awesome. You got everything you need in one tiny package. It seems to be extremely accurate I compare numbers to my data and I'm usually within a minute.

It has the bluetooth but I havent messed with it yet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WTW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if the ones with bluetooth will link up to Apps like shooter? Or do you have to manually input the data? I have been looking at either a 4000 or 4500 but didnt know if the bluetooth would actually work with them. </div></div>

The Bluetooth capable kestrels will link up fill catagories automatically with Shooter on the Droid, but I am not sure about the I-phone as I dont have one .

To the OP,
As was stated by someone already, dont get anything below a 4000. I say this for the same reason that was already said. It allows you to use DA which makes life a lot easier out in the field. Once you start using DA and get used to it you will get to the point where you will be able to predict DA(when you have an idea of actual elevation anyways) as well as you can read wind.

Scott, thanks for the informaiton. I have the iphone but am still on the fence with the bluetooth as I cant find any of the programs that link up.

is the shooter app free ? also the KAC bulletflight app is nice ( $30)

the wheel wiz is nice too from accuracy1stdg

Patagonia ballistics makes a ballistic calculator that runs on palm os and will sync with a kestrel using blue tooth. Definitely a cool ideal although I have found the program a little clunky. I would definitely spend a little extra on a good kestrel and as far as ballistic calculators I would start with a simple iPhone version.

Most of the ballistic calcs on iPhone are good, but none of them can sync with e.g., Kestrel via Bluetooth (because of how Apple implemented BT profiles on iPhone/iPod).

Shooter on Android (costs $10) does sync fine with Kestrel over BT, as I had the pleasure of verifying. It is my primary ballistic comp on Samsung Galaxy.

P.S. KAC BulletFlight indeed is nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WTW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, thanks for the informaiton. I have the iphone but am still on the fence with the bluetooth as I cant find any of the programs that link up.</div></div>

bluetooth and apple is a NO GO!.. wont work.. kestril rep posted info here at one time