• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel - Which one?

SourMash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
GA
So I'm in the market for a Kestrel but obviously, I'm not a pro shooter (I'm actually an older guy but brand new to wanting to shoot groups at longer range). I'm going to buy a Kestrel (This weekend) but I don't know if I need the "elite" model. Can I get by for now with just a regular 5700 Ballistics meter? If I wanted to upgrade later, could it be as simple as a download package from Kestrel or would I have to purchase a whole new unit?

So I'm in the market for a Kestrel but obviously, I'm not a pro shooter (I'm actually an older guy but brand new to wanting to shoot groups at longer range). I'm going to buy a Kestrel (This weekend) but I don't know if I need the "elite" model. Can I get by for now with just a regular 5700 Ballistics meter? If I wanted to upgrade later, could it be as simple as a download package from Kestrel or would I have to purchase a whole new unit?
You can upgrade it later but it costs 300 dollars. If you just stay patient there are always good used elites in the PX at reasonable prices.

I had an ABS model I let go of, I never used the features, I use my phone apps for everything the meter I pull out occasionally to get a low/med/high estimate and check if something significant changes.

If you have the money get the 5700 elite abs with bluetooth.

I have an older model that works just fine for environmentals.

Just the basic 5700/sportsman is a solid piece of kit.
I started with a sportsman then upgraded it to elite.

As steel head said, the basic is fine.
I have a standard and 2 elite. I have found i prefer 4dof so thats why I have 2 elites.

In truth though you can use the basic as a weather station and input your information to a phone or whatever.

Its just another tool and more options. You need to consider ballistic app and meter separate before rolling them into 1 unit.... then decide

If you want to link it with another device (now or later) go with the elite. I have both as I initially purchased the Kestrel 4000 to go with the terrapin. When I went with the terrapin X, I added the kestrel elite. I'm also an "older" guy and not a pro shooter but that is no reason not to have gear that makes the overall process better.... JMHO

I have the 5700 with Link.
I vacillate over whether to drop another $300 on the Elite software.
But, I already have the Applied Ballistics app on my phone, with the custom drag models for my 6.5 and .308.
I manually enter the atmospheric data from my Kestrel to the AB app.
Is it worth $300 to skip this step and do the same math on my Kestrel?
For me, not yet...

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I'm also in need of a LRF and Kestrel is having a sale that looks to be beneficial for me. Now lets go spend some money...oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone

I originally purchase the Hornady and found out it would not talk to my Sig Kilo 3000s LRF binos so I returned it and got an Elite. So whatever you get make sure it works with any other hardware you plan on using.

I'm running the 5700 Elite ABS Link and worth every penny. Purchased and had an issue with the bluetooth not connecting. Phone diagnosed and Kestrel didn't mess around and had me send back, 48 hours later replacement in hand. Also have enjoyed the classes Kestrel provides.

Reactions: SourMash