• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel wind direction issues

Afischer1289

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 15, 2017
I have a kestral 5700 elite with link. I capture DOF then wind speed and direction. Issue im having is the wind direction doesnt ever seem to be correct. Example- Wind is coming from 6 o clock directly in line with the target, when capturing wind data with the kestrel it shows 7:30 to 8:00.

Anyone experienced this? Maybe im doing something wrong.

What’s your method for being sure your pointing your kestrel in the right direction? I turn my kestrel 90 degrees to the wind until the weather vain stops spinning then turn it back 90 degrees into the wind. Not saying your doing it wrong, just throwing that out there.

I have a kestral 5700 elite with link. I capture DOF then wind speed and direction. Issue im having is the wind direction doesnt ever seem to be correct. Example- Wind is coming from 6 o clock directly in line with the target, when capturing wind data with the kestrel it shows 7:30 to 8:00.

Anyone experienced this? Maybe im doing something wrong.
Following this process?:
1. Turn Environment to Live
2. Highlight TGT, hold the Kestrel out in front of you looking at the target and press and release the button with red line to begin DOF compass acquisition. Press/release button again once the compass stabilizes.
3. Down arrow so underline is on Wind, open impeller door and hold the kestrel back directly into the wind and press and release the button with the red line to capture wind direction (you can watch the compass / clock heading change to ensure it is working) after 5 second or so press/release the button and you will have completed the process. Remember the wind heading is relative to the target heading, which is 0 degrees for the wind. Also, if the compass heading is moving as you take the readings, it is working, small adjustments in your wrist can tilt the Kestrel and change the angle you are reading.

Following this process?:
1. Turn Environment to Live
2. Highlight TGT, hold the Kestrel out in front of you looking at the target and press and release the button with red line to begin DOF compass acquisition. Press/release button again once the compass stabilizes.
3. Down arrow so underline is on Wind, open impeller door and hold the kestrel back directly into the wind and press and release the button with the red line to capture wind direction (you can watch the compass / clock heading change to ensure it is working) after 5 second or so press/release the button and you will have completed the process. Remember the wind heading is relative to the target heading, which is 0 degrees for the wind. Also, if the compass heading is moving as you take the readings, it is working, small adjustments in your wrist can tilt the Kestrel and change the angle you are reading.
Yes. Following that same process but in relation to the target if the wind is coning from 6 o'clock the meter is saying 7:30. Thats with the the back of the kestrel pointing dirctly away from the target.

Easy to check, press the acquire button and spin around, you can watch the compass heading change and every time you repress the acquire button it will lock on that heading. Pick some landmarks and see what is going on between 6 and 7:30.

Reactions: Afischer1289
Digging this one up as I am having a similar issue.

For clarification I turn the Kestral on / calibrate compass.

I have a large fan in the room I am working in to simulate the wind.

I aim the kestrel directly at the fan representing it is target 1. I capture the DOF to target one (I have repeated this a few times testing) the DOF is 260 + or - a few degrees.

I then Down arrow so underline is on Wind, open impeller door and hold the kestrel back directly into the wind and press and release the button with the red line to capture wind direction (I used compass settings) and the wind direction shows 350 ish degrees even though I just captured that DOF from the same location, same target, etc.

Botton line is when I capture the DOF in a certain direction and then try to get the wind direction (where they should show pretty much the exact same number) they are off by as much as 80 degrees or so. When I move the kestral around is responds by moving the compass setting, so that function at least appears to be working.

Another potential issue (tested with two kestrals) is when mounted in a vane set up and the fan is used for wind (same speed / not moved, static, etc) the wind speed can vary 3 mph even though there is no difference in wind speed or direction. Is this common?

Does the compass setting need recalibrated every time the kestrel is turned on? Or just when moving locations.

put a circle of cardboard on tripod with 90 deg intervals, attach vane and put Kestrel in. then u have a reference.

when you laze for DOF make sure its in the vane or you will not have apples to apples.

Then you'll know if its the measuring technique or the soft/hardware

Reactions: Sgt. Brumbaugh
put a circle of cardboard on tripod with 90 deg intervals, attach vane and put Kestrel in. then u have a reference.

when you laze for DOF make sure its in the vane or you will not have apples to apples.

Then you'll know if its the measuring technique or the soft/hardware
I will test that, but there is no way I am 80 degrees off hand holding it. None the less I will give that a shot- thanks.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
The target becomes North or 0 for wind calculation. so if you have a target at 260 deg and get a wind heading of 350 it means your wrist moved 10 deg to the left of the target. It will get more exact if you set the unit on a table so your wrist is out of play. Why you ask? The kestrel tells you what the wind will do to the bullet, not what the compass heading is. A wind from the right is always 90 deg or most set wind to clock so the wind over your right shoulder is always a 3 o'clock wind regardless of the direction you are facing.

Reactions: Sgt. Brumbaugh
The target becomes North or 0 for wind calculation. so if you have a target at 260 deg and get a wind heading of 350 it means your wrist moved 10 deg to the left of the target. It will get more exact if you set the unit on a table so your wrist is out of play. Why you ask? The kestrel tells you what the wind will do to the bullet, not what the compass heading is. A wind from the right is always 90 deg or most set wind to clock so the wind over your right shoulder is always a 3 o'clock wind regardless of the direction you are facing.
Any detailed YouTube videos of this process with good notes? This would really help the community at large I believe.

Any detailed YouTube videos of this process with good notes? This would really help the community at large I believe.
This is kinda what I was telling you. I only run my Kestrel on Clock and the target is always 12:00..... I never change that! I only change wind direction...Less chance of a mistake this way

Reactions: DocUSMCRetired
@Shayne Ward im having the exact same issue. I’ve tested at the range, I’ve updated latitude, compass calibrated, and then taken a reading at target, moved the kestrel to the no shit 9 oclock position and it’s way the hell off. I’ve done a factory reset, etc. it’s no wonder why my wind calc has always been off vs my other weather devices. It’s a 5700 Elite.

@Shayne Ward im having the exact same issue. I’ve tested at the range, I’ve updated latitude, compass calibrated, and then taken a reading at target, moved the kestrel to the no shit 9 oclock position and it’s way the hell off. I’ve done a factory reset, etc. it’s no wonder why my wind calc has always been off vs my other weather devices. It’s a 5700 Elite.
Call us:

Phone
800-784-4221
Mon-Fri: 9am-5pm EST

Reactions: sneakypayload