• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel wind meters

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
How many of you are using a hand held wind meter such as a kestrel and then inputting the data into your iphone for your ballistic program or are you just estimating wind speed and crosswind component for the first shot then correcting after?
Thanks
Gary

Re: Kestrel wind meters

I use a Kestrel 4000NV and I use the Iphone Balistic FTE APP. I take the Kestrel readings and then plug that into my program and get the results.

I use my kestral 4000 every time I go out. As mentioned above, it is must have equipment. The problem with using the Iphone or cellphone weather data is that the conditions you are experiencing might not be the same as being used by weather reporting station. it might also be in an urban area which will have significantly different data. Next time your out, run a comparision between the phone data and your kestral....I was surprised at how different it could be.

Are the Kestrel 2000 worth anything?

I'd like a 4k but the 2k seems about in my price range.. They as accurate as the 4000's with out some of the bells and whistles or just worthless?

Whatsa matter LL, lost your 'feel' for the art and have to rely on tech?
grin.gif
Yeah yeah, I know, the tech makes the cold bore that much more accurate so a miss is almost non existant

I can't imagine that the true readings would vary in the 2000 to the 4.

I have a 3500 and it has more info than I really needed but never knew if I would.

Read up on them before buying it will tell you in detail what one has that the other doesn't if your just looking for wind, altitude, and barometric pressure than I'm sure the 2000 or 2500 would be sufficient. I think I got mine at optics planet online you can read about them there.

I use the 3500 then set the baro to station pressure. That way i can put the station pressure into my Bulletflight Night's Armament on my itouch and be a little more accurate. Use it every time i shoot.

I am running a GB on Kestrels right now getting ready to close it out so jump on if you need one.

Kestrel is supposed to be coming out with a model that includes a ballistic calc. I think I saw it in an ad in SWAT or G&A

Because barometric pressure is corrected for altitude. You can have a Baro. reading of 30.10 at sea level as well as 10,000 feet. So if you got that Baro reading of 30.10 How do you know what altitude you are at? You will have to know your altitude, ether by a Kestrel, GPS, or some other way. What you are really wanting is station pressure. The Kestrel 3500 and up will give you both. The way that i use it is. Set your altitude too zero. Then when you go to the Baro, reading on the Kestrel it will give you station pressure. That is the true pressure that your bullet is going too be flying threw, and will help give you a more accurate drop table

At risk of hijacking this thread to discuss how to correctly input atmospheric pressure into FTE, I have an FTE question.

The FTE knows the "barometric" pressure, and your altitude. I am sure it can calculate "station" pressure. So, FTE has 2 settings "Enable Atmosphere" and "Pressure is Absolute". I assume if one wants FTE to get the barometric pressure, adjust it to station pressure, and use it in the trajectory model, then the settings should be Enable Atmosphere to ON and Pressure is Absolute to OFF.

If I got this right, then you could use the Caldwell wind meter, rely on FTE to get the pressure right and save some bucks. If the Caldwell's mechanism reads the wind speed reliably.

The problem with the iPhone is it takes the current weather from only a few predetermined locations which for some people can be more than 50 miles away. Your current weather isn't always correct, it can be extremely wrong.

I think the guys in Las Vegas mentioned it took readings from the airport and the range is out in the desert at a different altitude even.

You can't rely on the iPhone it is not a local weather station. As well it needs a wifi or cell signal, the Kestrel doesn't have these limitations.

Snow Dog's right. Spoke to Monica @ Kestrel, 4500 type device combined with Horus ATrag software and PDA available early August. Everything you need in one small weatherproof unit.

Can you explain a little more about the new Kestrel coming out. What do you mean by a pda and software. Do you mean the kestrel and software and pda will be one handheld device?
I won't need my iphone with my JBL software?
How would I get in touch with Monica at Kestrel? Do you have an e-mail?
Thanks
Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snow Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kestrel is supposed to be coming out with a model that includes a ballistic calc. I think I saw it in an ad in SWAT or G&A </div></div>

Great, I finally was able to get a 4000, and now this.....

i use my kestral with a set of printed windage tables, i dont have a pda with ballistics software. the kestral is a savage bit of kit. that new all in one model sounds very cool.

Look what I found at kestrels site
smile.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">"<span style="font-weight: bold">Built-in Targeting Calculator Makes Hand-held Weather Meter A Breakthrough, Compact Ballistics Tool</span>

Kestrel® Pocket Weather® Meters partners with Horus Vision® to release a breakthrough ballistics instrument that eliminates the need for a PDA in long-distance shooting...."</span>

Sounds very cool and the way to go.
Glad you told me. I will wait until it becomes available.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sucks to own a 4000NV
cry.gif
</div></div> i will take it off of youre hands for free...

Good that we may get a good piece in integrated technology.

Bad that I just got my 4500 this spring.

Anybody have a price and model number on this new unit that has the ballistic calculator yet?
Scot

I run a 2500nv aswell, it's got a more protective shell casing but only shoes one measurement at a time which is fine generally.
Am looking to run a 4500NV at some stage though, definitely an awesome piece of kit.

This tool is your friend.

Scot, asked Monica about the price and she said "price will be comparable to our other products and less than the price of a Kestrel and PDA. Available early August. Groupbuy anyone????

Thanks Joe:
I already e mailed her as to when they will be available.
I like that it will be one unit. The last thing I need is another hand held device.
Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spotswood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Joe:
I already e mailed her as to when they will be available.
I like that it will be one unit. The last thing I need is another hand held device.
Gary </div></div> I know what you mean, I have three phones.

Thanks JoeRe I have been waiting to pull the trigger on the 4500 guess being broke has been a plus in this case. group buy sounds great if I start now I can sell enough at the blood bank by august. No joke I want one and things are that tight but in the long run it sounds like it would save money.
Scot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bosulli</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since you can get the barometric pressure from the FTE (pressure is consistent over a local area), why not just use this Caldwell wind meter http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA021-1.html for $40, and input that into the FTE? Just asking. </div></div>

Because the Caldwell is a worthless, inaccurate Piece of Shit!

I also will be considering the combined unit but it depends on price and funds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get everything you really need with a 2500.</div></div>

If you want to calculate and use a Density Altitude dope card, then you'll need at least a 4000. The lower models don't calculate density altitude.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeRe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scot, asked Monica about the price and she said "price will be comparable to our other products and less than the price of a Kestrel and PDA. Available early August. Groupbuy anyone???? </div></div>

I like your thinking, count me in for a group buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get everything you really need with a 2500.</div></div>

If you want to calculate and use a Density Altitude dope card, then you'll need at least a 4000. The lower models don't calculate density altitude.
</div></div>

hang around a mate with a 4000+ then
laugh.gif

Anything worth having is worth not telling your wife about.er I mean waiting for. I hate it when a company rushes then the product is less than promised. I would much rather have Lowlight run this new system thru it's paces before I spend my blood money.I say group buy pending review by the Commandant.They should give 2 units for free one for him and one for me for the idea.L.O.L. This site will probally sell more than all other ads they pay for.
Scot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF41780</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't imagine that the true readings would vary in the 2000 to the 4.

I have a 3500 and it has more info than I really needed but never knew if I would.

Read up on them before buying it will tell you in detail what one has that the other doesn't if your just looking for wind, altitude, and barometric pressure than I'm sure the 2000 or 2500 would be sufficient. I think I got mine at optics planet online you can read about them there. </div></div>
Yea but sometimes the lower models on companies make some products just so the cheap guy can get something.. Not always meaning they do their job.. So I was making sure its not the case here.I figured it would be missing some features but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't also cheaper cause instead of hard readings it gives ball parks estimates..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to have the barometric pressure, the 2000 doesn't have that, you need the 2500 </div></div>

Yea thats the meter I meant.. Are those good wind readers?? Easy enough to use? Have most of the features needed?? ect..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get everything you really need with a 2500.</div></div>

</div></div>

Yeah, that's true. The 4000 is the best option but I bet you and I are some of the few people that factor Den/Alt so for most 2500 would be ok.

A friend of mine said he stuck his out the window of his car at 80mph,claims it read just fine and did not break.Said all the speeds he tested at seemed pretty damned accurate.

vman,

Thanks for your interest! You can find out more about the new models with built-in Horus Ballistics on our blog post and Press Release. It will be available in the early fall with a price around $700. Follow us on our blog, twitter or facebook to find out the exact date and price!

If there are any other questions you have about the Kestrel with Horus Ballistics or any other Kestrel-related items, feel free to reply or PM me.

BTT

Maybe a SH Group Buy is in the near future for these. Looking forward to seeing how well these hold up in the field.